Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

Ever had an HID ballast go bad?

View Poll Results: Have you ever had an HID ballast fail?
No 25 38.46%
Yes 23 35.38%
Yes...more than once 17 26.15%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-23-2011, 11:55 AM   #1
bass turds
Veccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
Veccster's Tacoma Gallery
Ever had an HID ballast go bad?

I bought 2 kits - headlights and fog lights (4 ballasts total). I've had 3 of them go bad in less than 6 months.

Just curious if this is common or if I am doing something wrong.
Old 01-23-2011, 12:05 PM   #2
brians05taco is a jewel in the roughbrians05taco is a jewel in the roughbrians05taco is a jewel in the roughbrians05taco is a jewel in the rough

Name: Brian
brians05taco's Tacoma Gallery
yeh had the same problem which is why i went back to stock bulbs less trouble
Old 01-23-2011, 09:56 PM   #3
lilgerber is a splendid one to beholdlilgerber is a splendid one to beholdlilgerber is a splendid one to beholdlilgerber is a splendid one to beholdlilgerber is a splendid one to beholdlilgerber is a splendid one to beholdlilgerber is a splendid one to beholdlilgerber is a splendid one to behold

lilgerber's Tacoma Gallery
Are you running a relay or installing them correctly ?
Old 01-23-2011, 10:59 PM   #5
He who angers you conquers you
Unknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Unknown's Tacoma Gallery
Nope
Old 01-23-2011, 11:23 PM   #6
Custom Tacoma bumpers & more for your offroad toy
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

RelentlessTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Had this happen (3 go bad in 4 months), then had issues with my hid harness and replaced that then never had any more ballast issues over the past year.
Old 01-24-2011, 05:28 AM   #7
Jigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Jigzor's Tacoma Gallery
Never a problem with four ballasts in two years.
Old 01-24-2011, 08:00 AM   #8
bass turds
Veccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilgerber View Post
Are you running a relay or installing them correctly ?
Not sure what a relay does but...yes, I am installing them correctly. There are several write ups on here that I followed very closely. Pretty difficult to screw it up. I mean, they DID work. If they were installed incorrectly, they would not work at all.
Old 01-24-2011, 08:29 AM   #9
CopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Maximum Security Correctional Officer
Name: Matt
CopDoctor's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veccster View Post
Not sure what a relay does but...yes, I am installing them correctly. There are several write ups on here that I followed very closely. Pretty difficult to screw it up. I mean, they DID work. If they were installed incorrectly, they would not work at all.

not true. you can make them work with a bad install. a relay is a little black box that runs between your battery, and a switch. as soon as the switch is thrown, the relay opens and connects your battery to the lights
Old 01-24-2011, 08:58 AM   #10
BIG DADDY
brutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

brutalguyracing's Tacoma Gallery
i have 4 ballasts and have had them for almost a year now and..."no issues at all"
i made sure they were mounted good and wired well.....i also put sealant around all electrical connections......
Old 01-24-2011, 11:13 AM   #11
bass turds

I am now going to wrap all of my connections with black electrical tape. Sealant is a good idea though. What kind did you use?

Something else that's odd....
I disconnected one of my fog light ballasts because it was bad and I needed to send it back. I then verified that the remaining one worked. I did not use the fogs for the next 2 weeks because only one worked. Then yesterday, I install my new one and turn them. Now the other side (that was fine 2 weeks ago) does not turn on. Can it go bad even while I'm not using it?
Old 01-24-2011, 11:16 AM   #12
Boiling denim and bangin whores
Tacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Clam Slammer
Tacomanator's Tacoma Gallery
i've been runnin $30 ebay specials for almost a year now and no prob yet. (knock on wood)
Old 01-24-2011, 11:32 AM   #13
BIG DADDY
brutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

brutalguyracing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veccster View Post
I am now going to wrap all of my connections with black electrical tape. Sealant is a good idea though. What kind did you use?

Something else that's odd....
I disconnected one of my fog light ballasts because it was bad and I needed to send it back. I then verified that the remaining one worked. I did not use the fogs for the next 2 weeks because only one worked. Then yesterday, I install my new one and turn them. Now the other side (that was fine 2 weeks ago) does not turn on. Can it go bad even while I'm not using it?
i used just rtv silicone sealant........i think it was blue....
any auto parts store......

check all your grounds
Old 01-24-2011, 11:35 AM   #14
Boiling denim and bangin whores
Tacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Clam Slammer
Tacomanator's Tacoma Gallery
OP, what brand are you using?
Old 01-24-2011, 11:45 AM   #15
bass turds

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutalguyracing View Post
i used just rtv silicone sealant........i think it was blue....
any auto parts store......

check all your grounds
Thanks.

Fogs aren't grounded. They are just plug&play. The heads have a solid ground.
Old 01-24-2011, 11:46 AM   #16
bass turds

And now that I think about it...there is no way to verify that the ballast is bad on the fogs. They are not swappable, right? The ballast that fits the passenger side is different than the one that fits the drivers side. They both "fit" but they are not compatible.

So it could very-well be the bulb that went out too.
Old 01-24-2011, 12:18 PM   #18
He who angers you conquers you
Unknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Unknown's Tacoma Gallery
I got ddm, and they seen mud, water, ect
Old 01-24-2011, 12:25 PM   #19
The Man!
JLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jerry
JLee's Tacoma Gallery
when I first bought mine for the truck one was bad already it was replaced under warranty other then that I have never had a problem with HIDs in any of my cars.
Old 01-27-2011, 10:08 AM   #20
BSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shed
BSPDX's Tacoma Gallery
I have the DDM digital ballasts and havn't had any issues...