Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

I can't find that BHLM how-to thread with pics -- halp!

Old 01-24-2011, 07:15 PM   #1
BenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BenWA's Tacoma Gallery
I can't find that BHLM how-to thread with pics -- halp!

There was a newer BHLM how-to thread that I was looking at 2 days ago that had detailed description and pics of the whole process. I've been searching for like 30 minutes now and I can't find it. Can anyone help me find this thing?

The OP of the thread included the application of new windshield stripping/glue around the perimeter of the headlights, if that rings any bells as to which thread I'm talking about.

I'm halfway thru the process as I write this and need direction ASAP!

Old 01-24-2011, 07:16 PM   #2
BenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BenWA's Tacoma Gallery
p.s., it's dark and pouring rain outside, and I don't have a garage or shelter to work under. Perfect timing for tearing my front apart.

Fail.
Old 01-24-2011, 07:23 PM   #4

BenWA's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by afd23a View Post
nah, I couldn't find it linked in the mods thread anywhere.

Does anyone know the proper name of the windshield sealant/stripping that comes in rolls with paper backing? Maybe I could use whatever that stuff is called as a search term...
Old 01-24-2011, 07:23 PM   #5
Thread Jacker
schiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Caleb
schiz94's Tacoma Gallery
Nah its this one.
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/lig...light-mod.html

Its called 3m Window Weld. also called ribbon sealer. just get it at autozone i got this one which isnt 3m but works the same way. if you need help lemme know. Also in about a week im going to be selling some BHLMs if you want them. I can meet you halfway in Everett if you want.
Old 01-24-2011, 07:25 PM   #6
afd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shed

afd23a's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by schiz94 View Post
Nah its this one.

Its called 3m Window Weld. also called ribbon sealer. just get it at autozone i got this one which isnt 3m but works the same way. if you need help lemme know. Also in about a week im going to be selling some BHLMs if you want them. I can meet you halfway in Everett if you want.
^^that does look like a better way to do it
Old 01-24-2011, 07:34 PM   #7

BenWA's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Nah its this one.

Thank you schiz...thats the one. I guess I should've searched for "head light" as two separate words.

I'm doing an experimental version of the black headlight mod with duplicolor chrome black shaddow to give it the smoked look.
Old 01-24-2011, 07:51 PM   #8
Thread Jacker
schiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

schiz94's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenWA View Post
Thank you schiz...thats the one. I guess I should've searched for "head light" as two separate words.

I'm doing an experimental version of the black headlight mod with duplicolor chrome black shaddow to give it the smoked look.
Nice. If it goes bad lemme know. I will sell you these headlights for bottom dollar. or trade for somethin. GOOD LUCK
Old 01-24-2011, 08:01 PM   #9

BenWA's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks! Sounds good man.

This is not nearly as easy as I had hoped it would be .. prying the halves apart is a major biatch
Old 01-24-2011, 08:06 PM   #10
Thread Jacker

schiz94's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Thanks! Sounds good man.

This is not nearly as easy as I had hoped it would be .. prying the halves apart is a major biatch
haha i know. when i did the first one. it was with after market sealant. and was cake. then it took me twice as long on the OEM adhesive cuz it is really tough. I also used a High Power heat gun and my mom to help haha. hopefully the window weld is easier to separate.
Old 01-24-2011, 09:21 PM   #11

BenWA's Tacoma Gallery
realtime update:

Pics definitely don't do justice to the look. Looks like smoked chrome in real life ... pix just make it look like black paint.

Kinda tough to get it even, especially without daylight to show the details.

Before and after pix of the bezels:
Attached Thumbnails
I can't find that BHLM how-to thread with pics -- halp!-005.jpg   I can't find that BHLM how-to thread with pics -- halp!-004.jpg  
Old 01-24-2011, 09:25 PM   #12

BenWA's Tacoma Gallery
Upon further scrutiny under my best halogen floodlights, I'd say it looks pretty damn good. Pretty much identical to the 2009+ OEM smoked headlights, perhaps a shade darker. Definitely not as black as it looks in the above pic. I used two coats to get it this shade.
Old 01-25-2011, 12:14 AM   #13

BenWA's Tacoma Gallery
Came out nice.

Man, it looks so much better on the truck than the plain chrome did. And looks way better than a full black paint BHLM does on a silver streak, IMO.
Old 01-25-2011, 12:44 AM   #14
Thread Jacker

schiz94's Tacoma Gallery
Pics bro! Haha oh btw. Who thinks we should get a mini meet for the seattle guys at memos in everett
Quote:
Came out nice.

Man, it looks so much better on the truck than the plain chrome did. And looks way better than a full black paint BHLM does on a silver streak, IMO.
Old 01-25-2011, 08:51 PM   #15

BenWA's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Pics bro! Haha oh btw. Who thinks we should get a mini meet for the seattle guys at memos in everett
I'd be down for a Seattle area meet!