Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

Smoked Headlight Mod -- my experiment results are in!

Old 01-25-2011, 10:53 AM   #1
BenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BenWA's Tacoma Gallery
Smoked Headlight Mod -- my experiment results are in!

I wanted something more masculine looking than the OEM chrome headlights on my Taco, but I'm generally not a huge fan of the all-out BHLM on silver streak Tacos in most cases (although I have seen exceptions where it looks cool on some builds).

Here is the before with OEM chrome lights:

I wanted something in between chrome and black...something closer to the newer OEM smoked headlights on 2009+ Tacomas.

So I did a smoked headlight mod last nite using chrome blackout shadower made by Duplicolor. I give full credit to EverTaco23 for the Duplicolor idea. Thanks man!

The blackout kit costs $17 at O'Reilly and comes with a can of clearcoat, but I didn't end up using the clearcoat at all.

For the headlight mod procedure, I followed Viet2100's awesome how-to thread: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/lighting/65226-how-black-head-light-mod.html

Disassembled bezel before chrome black out:

And after black out:

The photo really doesn't do justice to what it looks like in person. It just looks like black paint in the pic, but in person it looks like translucent black chrome. I used 2 coats put on 20 minutes apart, but you could do more coats to make it darker or fewer to make it lighter.

My biggest tip for using the chrome black out is don't do this mod at night under fluorescent shop lights, especially when it's 45 degrees and raining outside like I did

Do it in proper daylight so you can see what the heck you are doing when you spray the blackout on, because it's tricky to get it even on each bezel and consistent between the driver and passenger side headlights. The blackout is not a paint, it's a transparent overcoat that tints the existing chrome.

After installing lights back in the truck (compare to first pic above):

Close up...it looks pretty close to the newer OEM smoked headlights, but maybe a slight shade darker. It's kinda weird, because up close in person it has a slight bluish tint. But you can't detect the blue when you are standing more than like 5 feet away.

And with my favorite bro'd out lighting configuration...fogs, amber running lights, and parking lights all on

And there you have it!
Old 01-25-2011, 10:54 AM   #2
What is this "search" you speak of?
Andrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Andrew H's Tacoma Gallery
looks good.
Old 01-25-2011, 10:59 AM   #3
Average JOE is a splendid one to beholdAverage JOE is a splendid one to beholdAverage JOE is a splendid one to beholdAverage JOE is a splendid one to beholdAverage JOE is a splendid one to beholdAverage JOE is a splendid one to beholdAverage JOE is a splendid one to behold

Army: 4ID
Name: Matt
Average JOE's Tacoma Gallery
Very cool man. Didn't know they had "bro's" in WA. HAHA
Old 01-25-2011, 11:00 AM   #4
RumRunner is on a distinguished road
RumRunner's Tacoma Gallery
you should try doing the reflector bowls
Old 01-25-2011, 11:06 AM   #5
BenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BenWA's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Average JOE View Post
Very cool man. Didn't know they had "bro's" in WA. HAHA
OH, we have em
Old 01-25-2011, 11:23 AM   #6

BenWA's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandmas Computer View Post
uhh how is that bro?
It's not really, I was just making fun of myself.
Old 01-25-2011, 11:27 AM   #7
red taco will become famous soon enough
Name: Cole
red taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RumRunner View Post
you should try doing the reflector bowls
You don't think it would effect the lights functionality?
Old 01-25-2011, 11:36 AM   #8
ETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Evan
ETaco23's Tacoma Gallery
Awsome Job! that looks awsome! Way Better then the BHLM. Looks more like newer OEM lights.

I may do mine soon! I was ganna just buy some, but now Im re-thinking it. How hard was it to re-seal them?
Old 01-25-2011, 12:08 PM   #9

BenWA's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by EverTaco23 View Post
Awsome Job! that looks awsome! Way Better then the BHLM. Looks more like newer OEM lights.

I may do mine soon! I was ganna just buy some, but now Im re-thinking it. How hard was it to re-seal them?
Thanks man! I have to say it was all kind of a bitch, hahaa. Re-sealing them was a piece of cake, it was getting the two halves apart that was the hard part.

If you have the money to buy the real OEM headlights, I would say just go for it. But doing the DIY version worked great if you are cheap like me and don't mind giving up a several hours of your time. $17 bucks for DIY vs. a couple hundred for OEM seemed worth it to me.
Old 01-25-2011, 12:18 PM   #10
I Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I Liquid I's Tacoma Gallery
Lol. This is exactly what I was planning on doing. Same paint and all.

Looks great. More depth than the BHLM.
Old 01-26-2011, 02:14 PM   #11

BenWA's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Liquid I View Post
Lol. This is exactly what I was planning on doing. Same paint and all.

Looks great. More depth than the BHLM.
Thanks man.

Yeah I'm definitely glad I did it. In the pix the difference is subtle but in person it looks way better than the bright chrome did. Makes the truck look subtly less girly.
Old 01-26-2011, 02:17 PM   #12
wo ai ni bao bei ^_^
blackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

blackhawke88's Tacoma Gallery
I LOVE IT!
Old 01-26-2011, 02:24 PM   #13

BenWA's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by red taco View Post
You don't think it would effect the lights functionality?
It probably would. The amber running lights are noticably less bright (I kind of like them better that way) so I would bet the headlights would be way less powerful if the bowls were blacked out.
Old 01-26-2011, 02:24 PM   #14

BenWA's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhawke88 View Post
I LOVE IT!
Thanks!
Old 01-26-2011, 07:31 PM   #15
ETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Evan
ETaco23's Tacoma Gallery
I think when I do mine, Im not ganna paint inside the DTRL's.
But I freakin love the way they looK!!! Waaayyy! better then Black spray paint.
Old 01-26-2011, 07:34 PM   #16
Nightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Felipe
Nightstr's Tacoma Gallery
Nice! You should do the grill next.
Old 01-26-2011, 07:36 PM   #17
scraping my emblems off my plasti-dip
crf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
crf69's Tacoma Gallery
i wouldnt do the bowls.....llooks badass as is!
Old 01-27-2011, 10:54 AM   #18

BenWA's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightstr View Post
Nice! You should do the grill next.
Yeah, I'm debating whether or not to do a color matched silver grille bezel and black grillcraft mesh grille...
Old 01-27-2011, 12:04 PM   #19
Nightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Felipe
Nightstr's Tacoma Gallery
^ you should just go for it ant tint the chrome on the grill and all the badges.