Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

how many lights off one wire harness?

Old 01-26-2011, 08:33 AM   #1
kinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
kinkrider101's Tacoma Gallery
how many lights off one wire harness?

So I have my reverse lights all wired in the back off my truck, could I add 2 more lights to the same harness, so it would be 4 lights and one switch?
Old 01-26-2011, 06:15 PM   #2
scollins is one of the sharper tools in the shedscollins is one of the sharper tools in the shedscollins is one of the sharper tools in the shedscollins is one of the sharper tools in the shedscollins is one of the sharper tools in the shedscollins is one of the sharper tools in the shedscollins is one of the sharper tools in the shedscollins is one of the sharper tools in the shedscollins is one of the sharper tools in the shedscollins is one of the sharper tools in the shedscollins is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Scott
scollins's Tacoma Gallery
One switch should be fine, but my instructions for my VisionX lights say no more than 2 lights per relay. So I would run 2 relays for 4 lights, and have both relays controlled by one switch. Probably means not using your same harness for a majority of the install....
Old 01-26-2011, 07:35 PM   #3
kinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
kinkrider101's Tacoma Gallery
I have no experience with relays, I have 4 offroad lights and none have relays
Old 01-26-2011, 10:53 PM   #4
scollins is one of the sharper tools in the shedscollins is one of the sharper tools in the shedscollins is one of the sharper tools in the shedscollins is one of the sharper tools in the shedscollins is one of the sharper tools in the shedscollins is one of the sharper tools in the shedscollins is one of the sharper tools in the shedscollins is one of the sharper tools in the shedscollins is one of the sharper tools in the shedscollins is one of the sharper tools in the shedscollins is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Scott
scollins's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkrider101 View Post
I have no experience with relays, I have 4 offroad lights and none have relays
Ah, I see. Well, as long as you wire the lights properly (parallel), and the gauge of the wire and the switch is sufficient to handle the current, I don't think it should be a problem.

What wattage are your lights? If I assume 35w each, you are running just shy of 3 amps at each light. With 4 lights in the circuit, you are looking at 12 amps through the wires and switch. Probably should be 10 gauge at a minimum, but as the length of the run increases, so should the gauge. If there lights at at the back, I'd probably want 8 gauge wires at least....

But I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn last night, so value my advice at what you paid for it.....