Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

Headlight HID

Old 01-27-2011, 11:13 AM   #1
Failure is the result of letting setbacks stop you
MedlinAround is one of the sharper tools in the shedMedlinAround is one of the sharper tools in the shedMedlinAround is one of the sharper tools in the shedMedlinAround is one of the sharper tools in the shedMedlinAround is one of the sharper tools in the shedMedlinAround is one of the sharper tools in the shedMedlinAround is one of the sharper tools in the shedMedlinAround is one of the sharper tools in the shedMedlinAround is one of the sharper tools in the shedMedlinAround is one of the sharper tools in the shedMedlinAround is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
MedlinAround's Tacoma Gallery
Headlight HID

When it starts to warm up a little, i am planning on doing the black headlight mod and replacing the grille. While i have the lights off i wanted to put of set of nice HID's in while everything is apart. Not sure on some nice HID's but i would something bright and looks good. Any opinions?
Old 01-27-2011, 11:21 AM   #2
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Visit the retrofit source (theretrofitsource.com). They have complete set-ups to convert your stock headlights to HID projector style headlights. If you just want a plug and play HID kit, you do not need to rip apart your headlights for this, just replace the stock bulbs with the HID's. I think there's a group buy for plug and play HID's going on now, if not, there will be another one shortly I'm sure.
Old 01-27-2011, 11:30 AM   #3
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by yfzdrag3 View Post
When it starts to warm up a little, i am planning on doing the black headlight mod and replacing the grille. While i have the lights off i wanted to put of set of nice HID's in while everything is apart. Not sure on some nice HID's but i would something bright and looks good. Any opinions?
DDMTuning.com.

Also, there's a member on here who sells good quality stuff. His user name is slimcubby

EDIT: Are you talking about HID's, or projectors? Two different things.
Old 01-27-2011, 12:00 PM   #4
MedlinAround is one of the sharper tools in the shedMedlinAround is one of the sharper tools in the shedMedlinAround is one of the sharper tools in the shedMedlinAround is one of the sharper tools in the shedMedlinAround is one of the sharper tools in the shedMedlinAround is one of the sharper tools in the shedMedlinAround is one of the sharper tools in the shedMedlinAround is one of the sharper tools in the shedMedlinAround is one of the sharper tools in the shedMedlinAround is one of the sharper tools in the shedMedlinAround is one of the sharper tools in the shed

HID's..

Which are brighter?
Old 01-27-2011, 12:02 PM   #5
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
HID's..

Which are brighter?
HID's are the bulb itself.

Projectors are the lens.

Do you want HID's, projectors, or both?
Old 01-27-2011, 12:04 PM   #6

HID

what about 10000k?
Old 01-27-2011, 12:05 PM   #7
sees what you did there.

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Just the HID's are fine
Okay well then you don't need top pull your headlights apart. Just buy new bulbs and call it a day.

The light pattern won't be nearly as good without projector lenses, but plenty run them without, myself included. Just make sure you aim them properly so you don't blind anyone.
Old 01-27-2011, 12:08 PM   #8
CopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Maximum Security Correctional Officer
Name: Matt
CopDoctor's Tacoma Gallery
just HIDs are going to blind the hell out of everyone on the road unless you aim your headlights way down
Old 01-27-2011, 12:08 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPT View Post
Okay well then you don't need top pull your headlights apart. Just buy new bulbs and call it a day.

The light pattern won't be nearly as good without projector lenses, but plenty run them without, myself included. Just make sure you aim them properly so you don't blind anyone.

Yeah, which ones do you run? I know i don't have to pull them apart, but while i had everything off doing the black headlight mod i was going to install them.
Old 01-27-2011, 12:14 PM   #10
sees what you did there.

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CopDoctor View Post
just HIDs are going to blind the hell out of everyone on the road unless you aim your headlights way down
That's correct. I found a good middle ground though where they still give me plenty of road visibility, and I don't get flashed by any oncoming drivers.

Also helps to have 35W's instead of 55W.

Quote:
Yeah, which ones do you run? I know i don't have to pull them apart, but while i had everything off doing the black headlight mod i was going to install them.
I run DDM 6000K hids. Anything above that would be too blue for my taste. I acutally wish I got 5000k's.
Old 01-27-2011, 12:14 PM   #11
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPT View Post

X2. I had a HID kit with my stock housings and the output was okay but not nearly as good as my new retros!!
Old 01-27-2011, 12:24 PM   #13
nofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Patrick
nofords08's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by numbah57 View Post
Is a retro kit easy to do?
the morimoto mini d2 is easy, the fx-r and others are hard
Old 01-27-2011, 12:36 PM   #14
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nofords08 View Post
the morimoto mini d2 is easy, the fx-r and others are hard
I don't mean to thread jack, but how come the morimoto is easier, do you not need to open the headlight to install them? I spent a lot of time reading through TRS's website cause I'm getting close to doing a retrofit on mine.
Old 01-27-2011, 12:38 PM   #15
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
I don't mean to thread jack, but how come the morimoto is easier, do you not need to open the headlight to install them? I spent a lot of time reading through TRS's website cause I'm getting close to doing a retrofit on mine.
I have the FX-R's but I had mine made by Tim. I heard the mini's you dont have to do any cutting.
Old 01-27-2011, 01:13 PM   #16
nofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by WW_FIREFIGHTER View Post
I have the FX-R's but I had mine made by Tim. I heard the mini's you dont have to do any cutting.
correct, tim had to cut a liitle bit on yours because the projector is bigger, it morimoto snaps right in.
Old 01-27-2011, 05:19 PM   #17

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WW_FIREFIGHTER View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nofords08 View Post
correct, tim had to cut a liitle bit on yours because the projector is bigger, it morimoto snaps right in.
Good to know, thanks guys!
Old 01-27-2011, 07:48 PM   #18
DevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DevL's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
HID

what about 10000k?
I think that is about stupid. Brightest is at 4300-4500K. As you go up or down from there output goes down. You want dim purple headlights? Get 10,000K bulbs.

Also using your stock reflectors and new Xenon bulbs is illegal, not to mention rude.
Old 01-27-2011, 10:56 PM   #19
55 watt 6k will be about as bright as 35 watt 4.5k