Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

Bhlm help

Old 01-27-2011, 05:59 PM   #1
whiteboy88 is on a distinguished road

Name: Cody
whiteboy88's Tacoma Gallery
Bhlm help

Well I think it's about time to do the bhlm but I don't actually have the time to sand and paint and leave it sitting for a day or so seeing as how this is my daily driver. I was wondering if anybody had any suggestions or if anybody had any pictures of it done with the chrome look still there?
Old 01-27-2011, 06:09 PM   #2
Nightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Felipe
Nightstr's Tacoma Gallery
Is this what you are talking about?

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/lig...t-results.html

I did mine with out sanding and haven't had a problem...
Old 01-27-2011, 06:13 PM   #3
What is this "search" you speak of?
Andrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Andrew H's Tacoma Gallery
no one that i know of sanded before doing this bhlm
Old 01-27-2011, 06:27 PM   #4

How long did all that take? It looks good man. Well I didn't know if you had to sand or not I've just seen some posts about people sanding off the chrome
Old 01-27-2011, 06:36 PM   #5
Nightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Thanks, The first two took me abot 2 hours, 3rd took me about 3hours because of taping and the ones I currently have took me about 5 because I tinted the running lights amber and taping. The ones I currently have I like the most.
Old 01-27-2011, 07:06 PM   #6
BenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BenWA's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboy88 View Post
How long did all that take?
Are you directing that question at me (since I'm the OP of the thread that nightstr linked to)?

If so, it took me somewhere around 4 hours, mainly because it was my first time taking headlights apart. Now that I have been thru it all and know what is involved, I could probably do it in less than 2 hours. For me it was really intimidating putting the lights in the oven and pulling the halves apart, as I was certain that I was going to frick something up majorly. But I didn't frick anything up. In retrospect, I laugh at myself for being so nervous...the process is actually pretty easy. You don't need to sand anything, IMO. I know some people did for their BHLM's but I really don't see the need, since the headlight bezels are sealed and protected from the elements and the painted parts probably wouldn't at much risk of peeling or chipping.
Old 01-27-2011, 07:58 PM   #7

See that's what I'm nervous about and why I've waited so long. How long did you keep the headlights in the oven and what did you preheat it to? Also how do you get the tinted look on the lens of the headlight and does anybody have a picture of that done?
Old 01-27-2011, 10:08 PM   #8

if you do a lens tint you will loose light output... I wouldn't recommend that.
Old 01-28-2011, 07:42 AM   #9

good point... So what is the best temp to preheat to and what's the best time to put it in the oven?
Old 01-28-2011, 07:46 AM   #10
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
200 degrees IIRC...........
Old 01-28-2011, 08:17 AM   #11

I did mine at 310 for 10 min. I also started pealing from the parking light. If it doesn't peal easy I would put them in for another 5 min at the same temp and you should have a problem after that. Make sure you take ALL plastic pieces off.
Old 01-28-2011, 08:24 AM   #12
AZBACKCOUNTRY is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZBACKCOUNTRY is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZBACKCOUNTRY is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZBACKCOUNTRY is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZBACKCOUNTRY is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZBACKCOUNTRY is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZBACKCOUNTRY is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZBACKCOUNTRY is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZBACKCOUNTRY is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZBACKCOUNTRY is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZBACKCOUNTRY is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
AZBACKCOUNTRY's Tacoma Gallery
I followed viet2000's bhlm to the letter and it turned out great. Just finished last night. As others have said, I used a seperate clean pair of headlights from a 2009 that I puchased. I did sand the chrome (600 grit) and took my time. No need to rush this project. Krylon fusion will bond without sanding, but again I wanted this done right and to last for a long, long time in one of the hottest climates on earth- AZ.

300 was the temp I used and you're going to still have to pry pretty good. Take your time and make every effort NOT to break any of the tabs on the lights when seperating.

Good luck and when you're done post some pics!

Azbackcountry
Old 01-28-2011, 08:48 AM   #13
BenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BenWA's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZBACKCOUNTRY View Post
I followed viet2000's bhlm to the letter and it turned out great. Just finished last night. As others have said, I used a seperate clean pair of headlights from a 2009 that I puchased. I did sand the chrome (600 grit) and took my time. No need to rush this project. Krylon fusion will bond without sanding, but again I wanted this done right and to last for a long, long time in one of the hottest climates on earth- AZ.

300 was the temp I used and you're going to still have to pry pretty good. Take your time and make every effort NOT to break any of the tabs on the lights when seperating.

Good luck and when you're done post some pics!

Azbackcountry
^^ yes, follow viet2100's thread. Heat the oven at 300F and then turn it off before putting the lights in. The idea is to soften the butyl sealant so you can pull the halves apart, and the butyl cools relatively quickly, so you may need to stick the lights in the oven a couple of times before you get the lens completely separated. The hard part is getting the lens started to separate by using a wide, flathead screwdriver to pry. Once you get it separated enough to get some fingers in there, you can just use your fingers to pull it apart the rest of the way and it goes pretty easy after that. When the lens comes apart from the body, the butyl sealant is stretchy like bubble gum, so I found it helpful to cut it with a utility knife.
Old 01-28-2011, 10:30 AM   #14
Viet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Viet
Viet2100's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to Viet2100
I can send you a set done already, and you send me your stockers plus cash.