Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

05+ Climate control back light and face color change

Old 08-16-2011, 04:57 PM   #22
Jones is one of the sharper tools in the shedJones is one of the sharper tools in the shedJones is one of the sharper tools in the shedJones is one of the sharper tools in the shedJones is one of the sharper tools in the shedJones is one of the sharper tools in the shedJones is one of the sharper tools in the shedJones is one of the sharper tools in the shedJones is one of the sharper tools in the shedJones is one of the sharper tools in the shedJones is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Jones's Tacoma Gallery
The template link is all fixed and back up. It is saved to show the max a/c text. I will work on adding an independent file for the ones without max a/c text for download, the current file has it but it is hidden layer and not in the correct place.
Old 08-16-2011, 05:10 PM   #24
Jones is one of the sharper tools in the shedJones is one of the sharper tools in the shedJones is one of the sharper tools in the shedJones is one of the sharper tools in the shedJones is one of the sharper tools in the shedJones is one of the sharper tools in the shedJones is one of the sharper tools in the shedJones is one of the sharper tools in the shedJones is one of the sharper tools in the shedJones is one of the sharper tools in the shedJones is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Jones's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AsianAnts View Post
thanks.. also how did you blacken your emergency light button?
I lucked out and found it with a black radio off of e-bay, along with a LED back-lit clock.

I would think the same could be done with printed vinyl over the silver button with the triangle part either printed in red or left blank.
Old 09-11-2011, 02:59 PM   #25

Jones's Tacoma Gallery
No sanding required

So I found out that the amber layer can be removed with out sanding. It just peels right off after cutting the silver edges where they meet the black plastic. Just score it be a knife and start peeling it away. Use the tip of the knife to lift the plastic silver and amber layer away from the body of the dials to get it up enough to start the peeling off.

This makes it much easier and probably cuts down this mod's time by half.
Old 09-12-2011, 05:40 AM   #27
deerslayer75 is on a distinguished road
Name: Tim
deerslayer75's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jones View Post
So I found out that the amber layer can be removed with out sanding. It just peels right off after cutting the silver edges where they meet the black plastic. Just score it be a knife and start peeling it away. Use the tip of the knife to lift the plastic silver and amber layer away from the body of the dials to get it up enough to start the peeling off.

This makes it much easier and probably cuts down this mod's time by half.
So if I wanted to leave the housing silver could I just cut out the amber with an exacto knife (assuming I have a very steady hand) or would I still need to peel it off and make new stickers?
Old 09-12-2011, 11:01 AM   #28

Jones's Tacoma Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerslayer75 View Post
So if I wanted to leave the housing silver could I just cut out the amber with an exacto knife (assuming I have a very steady hand) or would I still need to peel it off and make new stickers?
That should work if you can get the dial face off with out bending it. Once it is bent, it will not bend back.The layer is some sort of hard plastic layer. The good thing about it is that the silver(which is very thin) is on top, then a clear layer and then the amber is on the bottom after removed from the dial body.

So if you could get the silver dial off the black plastic body without bending it and scraped off rubbed the amber off each icon and word, you could stick it back on the black plastic body and be done.

Another thought, since the face plate covers part of the silver dial's sides when assembled, you could take a Dremel with a cut off wheel and cut a little higher on the sides of the silver dials. This might help pulling off the silver part without bending it.

There has to be some sort of glue in there because when sanding the thing down on the original one, when getting to the amber layer, it did not just flake off. The dial is probably glued on their with something like Elmer's glue that doesn't bond 100% but will adhere to the surface.
Maybe a little heat to loosen up the glue is needed, but then that might melt the dials too.

Give it a try, I hope it works.
Old 09-12-2011, 04:45 PM   #30

Jones's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
So I scraped off the amber from the backside, to bad I didn't remove the dials without tearing them. If you can get the dials off with out tearing or bending them you are home free.

Old 09-12-2011, 07:34 PM   #31
deerslayer75 is on a distinguished road
Name: Tim
deerslayer75's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
So I scraped off the amber from the backside, to bad I didn't remove the dials without tearing them. If you can get the dials off with out tearing or bending them you are home free.

Thanks for the info. Can you tell me what size led's are in there? I used the led's from oznium to have the cluster done, along with the clock, radio and steering wheel controls. Looking for a mod to do the traction control and fog lights to the left of the steering wheel. Oh and the shifter too.
Old 09-12-2011, 08:06 PM   #32
just an AnT
AsianAnts is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsianAnts is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsianAnts is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsianAnts is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsianAnts is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsianAnts is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsianAnts is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsianAnts is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsianAnts is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsianAnts is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsianAnts is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 3451, 1st Civ Div MCB Camp Pendleton
Name: AnT
AsianAnts's Tacoma Gallery
- Climate controls use a total of 2 #74 neo-wedge bulbs (http://autolumination.com/74.htm [second half of the page]) the one i got was SMT II Neowedge LED Bulb 10mm= 3/8. Perfect fit.

- For the shifter, I used #74 bulb
(http://autolumination.com/74.htm [first half of the page]).

- The AC & Air Recycle button uses 2 (1 for each button) 5mm LED that you can get almost anywhere. I bought it from radio shack.

- Clock uses 3 PLCC-2 leds (http://www.oznium.com/plcc-2)

- Steering wheel control uses 3 PLCC-2 leds on each side (http://www.oznium.com/plcc-2)

Old 09-13-2011, 04:14 PM   #34

Jones's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
So were you able to scrape off the amber without scraping off the clear plastic underneath that?
Yes. On the silver dial faces, it is mainly the clear layer, the silver is pretty thin and the amber color is just as thin. I ended up with some small scratches on the clear layer that is directly underneath the silver outer layer of paint. This was with the dial's face off the black plastic body.

Maybe to separate the silver dial face from the body, you could first cut the sides and then slip a thin but hard piece of flat plastic in there to break the silver dial's from the larger plastic body without bending it.

But I don't really know if this route will work because I ending up tearing the silver dials off before knowing the glue in there was pretty light and would just break off if worked on a little more before pulling the faces off.
Old 09-13-2011, 04:45 PM   #35
Ivan is one of the sharper tools in the shedIvan is one of the sharper tools in the shedIvan is one of the sharper tools in the shedIvan is one of the sharper tools in the shedIvan is one of the sharper tools in the shedIvan is one of the sharper tools in the shedIvan is one of the sharper tools in the shedIvan is one of the sharper tools in the shedIvan is one of the sharper tools in the shedIvan is one of the sharper tools in the shedIvan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ivan
Ivan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I changed everything. Gauges, auto on the window switch, steering wheel controls, radio, and the clock( picked up an 09+ with LEDs on ebay).

Everything looks sick, i like the color around the volume and tune knobs
Old 10-29-2011, 06:22 AM   #37

Jones's Tacoma Gallery
I might be working on it today, it all depends when fedex shows up with the dials I bought from a recycler.
Old 10-29-2011, 06:58 AM   #38
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
Props, lovin the look of it compared to stock.