Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

05+ Climate control back light and face color change

Old 07-19-2013, 08:13 PM   #81
ibuprofelin is one of the sharper tools in the shedibuprofelin is one of the sharper tools in the shedibuprofelin is one of the sharper tools in the shedibuprofelin is one of the sharper tools in the shedibuprofelin is one of the sharper tools in the shedibuprofelin is one of the sharper tools in the shedibuprofelin is one of the sharper tools in the shedibuprofelin is one of the sharper tools in the shedibuprofelin is one of the sharper tools in the shedibuprofelin is one of the sharper tools in the shedibuprofelin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
ibuprofelin's Tacoma Gallery
This may seem like a stupid question, but what is the point of painting the dials if you're going to put the laminate over them with the actual icons and such?
Old 07-20-2013, 04:32 AM   #82
Jones is one of the sharper tools in the shedJones is one of the sharper tools in the shedJones is one of the sharper tools in the shedJones is one of the sharper tools in the shedJones is one of the sharper tools in the shedJones is one of the sharper tools in the shedJones is one of the sharper tools in the shedJones is one of the sharper tools in the shedJones is one of the sharper tools in the shedJones is one of the sharper tools in the shedJones is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Jones's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibuprofelin View Post
This may seem like a stupid question, but what is the point of painting the dials if you're going to put the laminate over them with the actual icons and such?
I was thinking the same thing when I first did it too.

I tried it without painting and it just looked bad to me. The ink thickness wasn't there to block the light on the black parts, it turned out to be glowing spots instead of the shapes.
Printing in white on clear vinyl isn't possible unless you have access to white ink for the printer. It's not typical for home printers. So during the daytime the white icons didn't stand out as much.
The red and blue dials were complexly washed out when the lights were turned on.
Old 07-20-2013, 08:05 AM   #83
ibuprofelin is one of the sharper tools in the shedibuprofelin is one of the sharper tools in the shedibuprofelin is one of the sharper tools in the shedibuprofelin is one of the sharper tools in the shedibuprofelin is one of the sharper tools in the shedibuprofelin is one of the sharper tools in the shedibuprofelin is one of the sharper tools in the shedibuprofelin is one of the sharper tools in the shedibuprofelin is one of the sharper tools in the shedibuprofelin is one of the sharper tools in the shedibuprofelin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gotcha, makes sense. I appreciate it! Gonna order some of the paper and have at it when it arrives. Looking for something to tinker with in the Taco haha.

I have a couple questions though, is priming the dials necessary? I noticed it in the picture of paints he used but he didn't mention priming it. I figure since the vinyl laminate is going over it anyhow, it won't make a difference?

Also, for the AC and Recirculate lights, I've read elsewhere that a 5mm LED from RadisoShack will suffice. Is all I need to do simply pop out the old bulb and replace with a bulb such as this?

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...1&locale=en_US

Or do I need something like the Corvette twist bulb to replace them? (I didn't quite understand what he meant about adding in a resistor. First time doing this).
Old 07-21-2013, 07:04 AM   #84
DR007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDR007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDR007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDR007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDR007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDR007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDR007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDR007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDR007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDR007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDR007 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dylan
DR007's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Also, for the AC and Recirculate lights, I've read elsewhere that a 5mm LED from RadisoShack will suffice. Is all I need to do simply pop out the old bulb and replace with a bulb such as this?

Or do I need something like the Corvette twist bulb to replace them? (I didn't quite understand what he meant about adding in a resistor. First time doing this).
If you just pop in a regular 5mm led it will blow it. You need to either add a resistor or do the corvette bulb. I'm running the corvette bulb from oznium.com
Old 07-21-2013, 12:44 PM   #85
What about a 3mm LED? These are the ones I need to solder in, correct?
Old 07-21-2013, 01:29 PM   #86
DR007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDR007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDR007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDR007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDR007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDR007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDR007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDR007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDR007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDR007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDR007 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dylan
DR007's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
What about a 3mm LED? These are the ones I need to solder in, correct?
Ok so well theres two different spots where you're going to change. The AC/Recirculate LEDs are 5mm LEDS but the ones that light the rest are (2) corvette bulbs or LEDs with resistors.
Old 07-21-2013, 05:32 PM   #87
Jones is one of the sharper tools in the shedJones is one of the sharper tools in the shedJones is one of the sharper tools in the shedJones is one of the sharper tools in the shedJones is one of the sharper tools in the shedJones is one of the sharper tools in the shedJones is one of the sharper tools in the shedJones is one of the sharper tools in the shedJones is one of the sharper tools in the shedJones is one of the sharper tools in the shedJones is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Jones's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Gotcha, makes sense. I appreciate it! Gonna order some of the paper and have at it when it arrives. Looking for something to tinker with in the Taco haha.

I have a couple questions though, is priming the dials necessary? I noticed it in the picture of paints he used but he didn't mention priming it. I figure since the vinyl laminate is going over it anyhow, it won't make a difference?

I didn't prime it, just cleaned it with rubbing alcohol it be sure it. Just thin coats of paint. I have peeled off the vinyl a few times and never had paint come off.

3mm or 5mm LEDs that you have to solder in for the AC and Recirculate indicator lights will work. The 5mm are going to be brighter.

The twist bulbs are ones for the whole dials and the A/C and car with the arrow buttons that have to have a resistor in them to not blow. I would get the corvette twists bulbs from Oznium. They already have the resistor added to the LED to not short out when you install it.
The corvette twist bulbs are the same thing as taking the brown twist bulbs base out and replacing the incandescent bulbs with a LED with a resistor.

Hope it helps.
Old 07-22-2013, 04:13 AM   #88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jones View Post
I didn't prime it, just cleaned it with rubbing alcohol it be sure it. Just thin coats of paint. I have peeled off the vinyl a few times and never had paint come off.

3mm or 5mm LEDs that you have to solder in for the AC and Recirculate indicator lights will work. The 5mm are going to be brighter.

The twist bulbs are ones for the whole dials and the A/C and car with the arrow buttons that have to have a resistor in them to not blow. I would get the corvette twists bulbs from Oznium. They already have the resistor added to the LED to not short out when you install it.
The corvette twist bulbs are the same thing as taking the brown twist bulbs base out and replacing the incandescent bulbs with a LED with a resistor.

Hope it helps.
I appreciate the help. I noticed elsewhere that someone just swapped the twist bulbs out with a #74 LED, would you have to add a resistor to that? I ordered those, I suppose I could return it and get the corvette bulbs instead - do they fit decently enough?
Old 07-31-2013, 04:39 PM   #89
I did this and it looks ok, I couldn't get the vinyl flush like the OP though. Anyone have any tips for making it nice and smooth?
Old 07-19-2014, 01:53 AM   #90
jasclair is one of the sharper tools in the shedjasclair is one of the sharper tools in the shedjasclair is one of the sharper tools in the shedjasclair is one of the sharper tools in the shedjasclair is one of the sharper tools in the shedjasclair is one of the sharper tools in the shedjasclair is one of the sharper tools in the shedjasclair is one of the sharper tools in the shedjasclair is one of the sharper tools in the shedjasclair is one of the sharper tools in the shedjasclair is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: joshua
jasclair's Tacoma Gallery
Get guys question, I got all the screws removed but I still can't get to the circuit board/tunnels.
Old 07-19-2014, 04:33 AM   #91

Jones's Tacoma Gallery
Pull the knobs off.
Old 07-19-2014, 10:38 AM   #92
jasclair is one of the sharper tools in the shedjasclair is one of the sharper tools in the shedjasclair is one of the sharper tools in the shedjasclair is one of the sharper tools in the shedjasclair is one of the sharper tools in the shedjasclair is one of the sharper tools in the shedjasclair is one of the sharper tools in the shedjasclair is one of the sharper tools in the shedjasclair is one of the sharper tools in the shedjasclair is one of the sharper tools in the shedjasclair is one of the sharper tools in the shed

i understand you used a zipt tie to pry it open but how did you cut the solver trim off from the black before prying it
Old 07-19-2014, 11:43 AM   #93

Jones's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasclair View Post
i understand you used a zipt tie to pry it open but how did you cut the solver trim off from the black before prying it
A pocket knife, where the silver meets the black part. Just roll it around the edge till it cuts.
Old 07-19-2014, 12:45 PM   #94

Idk how u did it man... Mine is getting dented and torn up and only the outside is off. Not the inside portion....
Old 07-19-2014, 02:54 PM   #95

I just gave up on it.....eventually i used a dremel saw to carefully clean the back out to reach the orange film.. worked perfectly just need to paint it.. unfortunately i destroyed one of the control knobs faces when trying to perform this so i need another one anyways....

Good practice though I guess,
Old 07-23-2014, 12:53 PM   #96

Hey man how much for me to ship my other one to you? So you can black it out, I already have the white LEDS that will ship with them.