1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

05+ Climate control back light and face color change

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Jones, Feb 1, 2011.

1. Jul 19, 2013 at 8:13 PM
    ibuprofelin

ibuprofelin Well-Known Member

Member:
    This may seem like a stupid question, but what is the point of painting the dials if you're going to put the laminate over them with the actual icons and such?

2. Jul 20, 2013 at 4:32 AM
    Jones

Jones [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Texas DFW
    Vehicle:
    06 SSM Prerunner TRD-OFFROAD
    Front: 5100@1.75 with SR5 coils; Rear: 5100 and 1.5 Toytec aal; Tires: Hankook 265/75R16 RF08 ATM; Wheels: powdercoated off-road wheels with FJ TRD center caps
    I was thinking the same thing when I first did it too.

I tried it without painting and it just looked bad to me. The ink thickness wasn't there to block the light on the black parts, it turned out to be glowing spots instead of the shapes.
    Printing in white on clear vinyl isn't possible unless you have access to white ink for the printer. It's not typical for home printers. So during the daytime the white icons didn't stand out as much.
    The red and blue dials were complexly washed out when the lights were turned on.

3. Jul 20, 2013 at 8:05 AM
    ibuprofelin

Member:
    Gotcha, makes sense. I appreciate it! Gonna order some of the paper and have at it when it arrives. Looking for something to tinker with in the Taco haha.

I have a couple questions though, is priming the dials necessary? I noticed it in the picture of paints he used but he didn't mention priming it. I figure since the vinyl laminate is going over it anyhow, it won't make a difference?

Also, for the AC and Recirculate lights, I've read elsewhere that a 5mm LED from RadisoShack will suffice. Is all I need to do simply pop out the old bulb and replace with a bulb such as this?

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062551&locale=en_US

Or do I need something like the Corvette twist bulb to replace them? (I didn't quite understand what he meant about adding in a resistor. First time doing this).

Last edited: Jul 20, 2013
  4. Jul 21, 2013 at 7:04 AM
    DR007

DR007 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Port Barre, LA
    Vehicle:
    '06 DCSB PreRunner
    MagnaFlow exhaust, K&N cold air intake, MB TKO wheels with 265/75/r16 Hankook Dynapro ATM, Blue Center shift LED color change, Map Lights with Dome, LED Map and Dome lights, Cluster Light Change, DTRL, Parking Light as Blinker, Blue A/C Control lights, Blue Clock, Bed Lights, Debadged tailgate, painted all exterior plastic trim, 6LZ Lightbars in grille, OTRATTW switches, Fog Light in Reverse light Mod, LED Blinkers all around, Projector Fog Lights, 15" blitzpro light bar, added hidden cig lighter port, custom plate front bumper, OME complete lift with 885 front coils, Ultraguage, CB radio 3' whips, 12v bed lighter port, Center Console Lights, AllProOffroad Sliders, 50" roof led light bar, 2 BlitzPro 6LZ Reverse Lights
    If you just pop in a regular 5mm led it will blow it. You need to either add a resistor or do the corvette bulb. I'm running the corvette bulb from oznium.com

5. Jul 21, 2013 at 12:44 PM
    ibuprofelin

Member:
    What about a 3mm LED? These are the ones I need to solder in, correct?

6. Jul 21, 2013 at 1:29 PM
    DR007

DR007 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Port Barre, LA
    Vehicle:
    '06 DCSB PreRunner
    MagnaFlow exhaust, K&N cold air intake, MB TKO wheels with 265/75/r16 Hankook Dynapro ATM, Blue Center shift LED color change, Map Lights with Dome, LED Map and Dome lights, Cluster Light Change, DTRL, Parking Light as Blinker, Blue A/C Control lights, Blue Clock, Bed Lights, Debadged tailgate, painted all exterior plastic trim, 6LZ Lightbars in grille, OTRATTW switches, Fog Light in Reverse light Mod, LED Blinkers all around, Projector Fog Lights, 15" blitzpro light bar, added hidden cig lighter port, custom plate front bumper, OME complete lift with 885 front coils, Ultraguage, CB radio 3' whips, 12v bed lighter port, Center Console Lights, AllProOffroad Sliders, 50" roof led light bar, 2 BlitzPro 6LZ Reverse Lights
    Ok so well theres two different spots where you're going to change. The AC/Recirculate LEDs are 5mm LEDS but the ones that light the rest are (2) corvette bulbs or LEDs with resistors.

7. Jul 21, 2013 at 5:32 PM
    Jones

Member:
    Texas DFW
    Vehicle:
    Front: 5100@1.75 with SR5 coils; Rear: 5100 and 1.5 Toytec aal; Tires: Hankook 265/75R16 RF08 ATM; Wheels: powdercoated off-road wheels with FJ TRD center caps
    I didn't prime it, just cleaned it with rubbing alcohol it be sure it. Just thin coats of paint. I have peeled off the vinyl a few times and never had paint come off.

3mm or 5mm LEDs that you have to solder in for the AC and Recirculate indicator lights will work. The 5mm are going to be brighter.

The twist bulbs are ones for the whole dials and the A/C and car with the arrow buttons that have to have a resistor in them to not blow. I would get the corvette twists bulbs from Oznium. They already have the resistor added to the LED to not short out when you install it.
    The corvette twist bulbs are the same thing as taking the brown twist bulbs base out and replacing the incandescent bulbs with a LED with a resistor.

Hope it helps.

8. Jul 22, 2013 at 4:13 AM
    ibuprofelin

Member:
    I appreciate the help. I noticed elsewhere that someone just swapped the twist bulbs out with a #74 LED, would you have to add a resistor to that? I ordered those, I suppose I could return it and get the corvette bulbs instead - do they fit decently enough?

9. Jul 31, 2013 at 4:39 PM
    ibuprofelin

Member:
    I did this and it looks ok, I couldn't get the vinyl flush like the OP though. Anyone have any tips for making it nice and smooth?

10. Jul 19, 2014 at 1:53 AM
    jasclair

jasclair Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    joshua
    Bend oregon
    Current: BHLM, plasti dip badges/bumper, Satoshi homer taco style grille, custom TRD, pack rack Marshall fab, window tint,interior paint job, ome lift,wheels spacer, white light interior, retrofit headlights.
    Get guys question, I got all the screws removed but I still can't get to the circuit board/tunnels.

11. Jul 19, 2014 at 4:33 AM
    Jones

Member:
    Texas DFW
    Vehicle:
    Pull the knobs off.

12. Jul 19, 2014 at 10:38 AM
    jasclair

Member:
    First Name:
    joshua
    Bend oregon
    Current: BHLM, plasti dip badges/bumper, Satoshi homer taco style grille, custom TRD, pack rack Marshall fab, window tint,interior paint job, ome lift,wheels spacer, white light interior, retrofit headlights.
    i understand you used a zipt tie to pry it open but how did you cut the solver trim off from the black before prying it

13. Jul 19, 2014 at 11:43 AM
    Jones

Member:
    Texas DFW
    Vehicle:
    A pocket knife, where the silver meets the black part. Just roll it around the edge till it cuts.

14. Jul 19, 2014 at 12:45 PM
    jasclair

Member:
    First Name:
    joshua
    Bend oregon
    Idk how u did it man... Mine is getting dented and torn up and only the outside is off. Not the inside portion....

15. Jul 19, 2014 at 2:54 PM
    jasclair

Member:
    First Name:
    joshua
    Bend oregon
    I just gave up on it.....eventually i used a dremel saw to carefully clean the back out to reach the orange film.. worked perfectly just need to paint it.. unfortunately i destroyed one of the control knobs faces when trying to perform this so i need another one anyways....

Good practice though I guess,

Last edited: Jul 19, 2014
  16. Jul 23, 2014 at 12:53 PM
    jasclair

Member:
    First Name:
    joshua
    Bend oregon
    Hey man how much for me to ship my other one to you? So you can black it out, I already have the white LEDS that will ship with them.

17. Dec 12, 2014 at 8:36 AM
    sackcrain

sackcrain Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Gastonia
    Vehicle:
    06 taco prerunner
    BlackBadges BHLM 3" Pro Comp Lift 8k HIDs 3k Fogs 2 10" jl Audio subs 20% tinted windows

is there anyone i can ship my guages/weather control to so that they can do the mod?

18. Feb 14, 2015 at 8:40 PM
    Tbryson2

Tbryson2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Terry
    Central Florida
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
    So are you saying that you attacked the orange layer by first cutting through the plastic "windows" on the back side of the assembly? How did you achieve this without damaging the vinyl? Is there sufficient space between the vinyl & the back? What bit did you use on the Dremel?

I also see that you damaged a control knob in the process. How did you get far enough to cut the back without removing the knobs? (Just curious). I have an 05 & have to totally disassemble it.

I want to perform this modification, but afraid of damaging the vinyl. I cut mine already, but it does not want to come off. (I realize it has a sticky backing). Considered using "Goof Off" but that is harmful to the vinyl. May try denatured alcohol next.

TB

19. Dec 3, 2015 at 12:24 PM
    Tacoma SS

Tacoma SS Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged 09 on 35s
    Boost and flex and 35s
    Anybody know how hard it would be to swap the factory lights over to LEDs? Pretty soon here I will be doing the dash light mod and installing a LED 4WD switch and would like the climate control switches to be the same color

Nailer likes this.
  20. Dec 4, 2015 at 11:05 AM
    Tbryson2

Tbryson2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Terry
    Central Florida
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
    I managed to do it, but it wasn't easy. (I used the same LED's used on the dash, smd type). (how do I word this?) If I remember correctly, there is a clear plastic "spider" within that channels the light from 2 bulbs to everywhere. The problem is that a light bulb has 360 degrees of light. The bulb fits "into" the "spider" and the light is spread throughout the control. However, an LED shines light in one direction. The light pipe (spider) does not pick up the light and spread the love.

I had to use 3 LED's (6 total, smd type, only because I wanted it to match the dash LED's and that is what I had) per area a bulb was in and position them so that the light was spread down the pipe evenly. Some modification where the LED shines into the light pipe was required. I did this in the evening in my shop where I could turn the lights off, and see exactly where the light was being "piped" down. Then super glue them in. It was time consuming and labor intensive, but it does look good when done right.

In hindsight, I wonder if using an LED with a "dual in line" package (cylindrical with round top) would have been better, although those are still pretty much "directional".

Perhaps if you could find an LED that emits light as a bulb does that would be MUCH easier! (Hindsight is a wonderful thing isn't it?)

TB2

Products Discussed in

To Top