Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

05+ Climate control back light and face color change

Old 02-01-2011, 08:26 PM   #1
Jones is one of the sharper tools in the shedJones is one of the sharper tools in the shedJones is one of the sharper tools in the shedJones is one of the sharper tools in the shedJones is one of the sharper tools in the shedJones is one of the sharper tools in the shedJones is one of the sharper tools in the shedJones is one of the sharper tools in the shedJones is one of the sharper tools in the shedJones is one of the sharper tools in the shedJones is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Jones's Tacoma Gallery
HOW TO :05+ Climate control back light and face color change

2005 to 2011 Climate control back light and face color change to black

Stock dials
05 to 08 models

09 to 11 with the Max A/C text – looks the same on the inside as the 05-08 one. This one has 9 blue rectangles and Max A/C text instead of a 10th blue rectangle. Under the Max A/C it is painted black to not let light in.

Parts and Equipment list
Climate control dials
masking tape
White spray paint
Black spray paint
Clear Matte or Flat spray paint
Blue spray paint
Red spray paint
Adhesive inkjet vinyl sheets for the decals
Hair dryer
Exact-o knife or razor blades

See here for taking it apart: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/lig...mbly-pics.html There are 7 screws to take out.
The silver and amber layers are a plastic type overlay that will just peel right off after the silver edges are detached from the black control dial body.
Warning the silver dials are easily broken, if you plan to save them, take your time removing them.
Make a cut around the silver and black area to separate the two.

See this post for removable of the silver layer:
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/lig...ml#post2701163

Paint used:

Print out temporary labels to cut out for painting the outlines. Painting template for decal.psd
Use a razor blade or exact-o to cut the outlines out. Scissors will work for everything except the blue and red area, the outline will be needed for painting.

Before putting the blue dial label on to keep it from being painted, scrap of the black paint around the area where the max a/c text will be.
Tape off all areas that do not need to be white:

White paint layer for the icons

After the white paint is completely dry, apply the icon cut outs over the white paint. Line up the shapes with the outlines under the white paint by shining light through the dials. Do not remove the labels for the red and blue areas.

Black paint

Red dial paint
Peel off the label hiding the red dial’s area then use the dial outline to mask the black paint. Cover all other areas.

Blue paint

Painting finished, Peel off all the labels covering up the white areas.

Ready for the vinyl:

Vinyl print out
Inkjet Clear Glossy Vinyl
http://www.texascraft.com/hps/home.php?cat=253
Printer use: Cannon MG6120

Files for printing in both Photoshop and in jpeg format.
NO Max A/C on the dial: PSD file, JPEG file
WITH Max A/C on the dial: PSD file, JPEG file

www.gimp.org is an open source program that is free that supports Photoshop files.
Print out a test page to plain paper to make sure the scaling is correct before printing on the vinyl.

After printing before installation:
The instructions from Papilo/Texascaft were to use a laminate aerosol, I use good old matte clear spray paint, to seal it up and take the gloss out. The spray didn’t stop the vinyl from stretching when heated up.

Installing the new dial decals:
Trim the clear vinyl out to make the dial’s shape. These will be larger than the dials themselves but you need it to cover the edges.
Putting the decal on the dials:
  • Pill away the backing to the adhesive decal.
  • Hold the dials up to the light to align the icon’s background and the decal.
  • Use the hair drier to form the vinyl to the front of the dials, taking out the wrinkles and any bubbles,
  • After the front is installed:
    • Heat the vinyl up as you do this part.
    • On the inside part of the dial, make small cuts in the vinyl but not where you will see it after the knobs are on. This is so you can stick the vinyl to the inside of the dials, were the knobs will go.
    • Now stretch the vinyl around the outside edges. Smooth it out as much as possible by stretching the vinyl out and getting it to stick the outside of the dial.
  • I put a rubber band around the dials to keep pressure on the vinyl, while it cooled down and the adhesive set in.

I also sprayed matte clear spray paint afterwards to give it a finished smooth look.

A/C and Air recirculation button
I followed m3zy6 write up for changing the button’s color. Thank you for posting it.
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/lig...t-mod-how.html

I added in the black vinyl to fit into the theme of all black and white.

Light for the dials
http://www.oznium.com/corvette-c5-led 2 of these to go in place of the stock ones. They are powered with a (+) and (-) side, if they do not light up when first put in, back out and rotate 180 degrees and put back in

The twists LED are a close fit, not exact but close enough to stay in. They can be made out of the current twist bulb with a 5mm LED and a 470ohm resistor.

Since the LED's are 120 viewing angle, that doesn’t exactly cover all the little light tunnels to get to all the icons. I added in aluminum foil to reflect the light right. Before it is basically pointing straight forward and not towards the light tunnels.

Selector knobs- replacing the amber inserts
The hard way: Take EasyMold and make molds of the amber inserts, then make casts with EasyCast clear epoxy. Then lightly spray paint the outside with white paint

The easy way:
Clear hot glue works to replace the amber inserts. Tape off the front side to get a smooth finish, and add the hot glue in from the back side. Try to get the least amount of hot glue in there to keep light being cut down.
Front side triangles
Add a little white spray paint dabbed on the outside to show up during the daytime

Finished product

Old 02-06-2011, 02:32 PM   #3
Jones is one of the sharper tools in the shedJones is one of the sharper tools in the shedJones is one of the sharper tools in the shedJones is one of the sharper tools in the shedJones is one of the sharper tools in the shedJones is one of the sharper tools in the shedJones is one of the sharper tools in the shedJones is one of the sharper tools in the shedJones is one of the sharper tools in the shedJones is one of the sharper tools in the shedJones is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Jones's Tacoma Gallery
Write up for Silver stock dials backlight color change

Changing the A/C dials from being back-lite with amber to white isn't impossible.

Start with disassembling everything.
Then where the silver outer cover needs to be separated from black body of the dials.
Cut around the outside and inside where the silver meets the black plastic.

The inside can be trimmed out a little bit to help with the next step.

The silver outer cover is glued to the black plastic, and will need to be worked apart with something thin and strong. I used an end of a zip-tie. Do this on top and on the sides where the silver is. Do not stretch the silver to much or it will tear or stay deformed.

All done removing the silver outer covers of the dials.

Scrap the amber paint off the silver layer from the backside. Try to use a wide blade to not leave little scratches in the clear plastic.

Lightly paint the backside in a thin layer of white paint. This is mainly for contrast on the front side with the silver and to make it look like the radio's buttons.

The A/C and recirculation buttons, take acetone/nail polish remover and a q-tip to dissolve and clean off the amber paint.

Add in LED lights, I recommend these from Oznium Link

To get the light to shin evenly, I added tin foil for the lights to reflect to the light frame inside the dials. The foil needs to attach to the plastic dials then put the clear plastic light tunnels in before reassembling the electronics and backing together.

Reassembly

Old 02-07-2011, 03:57 PM   #5
BenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BenWA's Tacoma Gallery
Man, that looks like a pain in the @ss. But looks to be worth the trouble because the end result looks killer!

Did you do anything to mod the lighting of your gauges too?

The stock amber panel lighting is one thing I've never been a fan of with Tacos in general -- there's something cheap looking about it.
Old 02-07-2011, 05:35 PM   #6
Viet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Viet
Viet2100's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to Viet2100
A lot of work just to have VDub interior... looks cool, though.
Old 02-07-2011, 05:44 PM   #7
First Class White Trash
achirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
achirdo's Tacoma Gallery
Subbed
Old 02-07-2011, 05:56 PM   #8

Jones's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenWA View Post

Did you do anything to mod the lighting of your gauges too?

The stock amber panel lighting is one thing I've never been a fan of with Tacos in general -- there's something cheap looking about it.
I changed everything. Gauges, auto on the window switch, steering wheel controls, radio, and the clock( picked up an 09+ with LEDs on ebay).
Old 02-10-2011, 11:11 PM   #9
BenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BenWA's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viet2100 View Post
A lot of work just to have VDub interior... looks cool, though.
Good call on the VW look -- I was just thinking that it looks like the lighting in my buddy's Jetta.
Old 02-10-2011, 11:11 PM   #10

BenWA's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jones View Post
I changed everything. Gauges, auto on the window switch, steering wheel controls, radio, and the clock( picked up an 09+ with LEDs on ebay).
Do you have pix of the gauges?
Old 03-05-2011, 08:18 AM   #11

Jones's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenWA View Post
Do you have pix of the gauges?
Sorry I missed this, I would have replied sooner but I over looked it.

Here ya go.

Anyone giving this a shot out there?
Old 03-07-2011, 07:25 PM   #13
Son of Most High
esizzle777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedesizzle777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedesizzle777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedesizzle777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedesizzle777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedesizzle777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedesizzle777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedesizzle777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedesizzle777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedesizzle777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedesizzle777 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

esizzle777's Tacoma Gallery
IF you're ever in laredo hit me up id love to get this done
Old 03-07-2011, 07:36 PM   #14
s10nick is one of the sharper tools in the sheds10nick is one of the sharper tools in the sheds10nick is one of the sharper tools in the sheds10nick is one of the sharper tools in the sheds10nick is one of the sharper tools in the sheds10nick is one of the sharper tools in the sheds10nick is one of the sharper tools in the sheds10nick is one of the sharper tools in the sheds10nick is one of the sharper tools in the sheds10nick is one of the sharper tools in the sheds10nick is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: nick
s10nick's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to s10nick
damn thats alot of work but job well done i want to do it but thats alot of work to change it so ima leave it be
Old 06-12-2011, 02:46 PM   #15
10.21 is a glorious beacon of light10.21 is a glorious beacon of light10.21 is a glorious beacon of light10.21 is a glorious beacon of light10.21 is a glorious beacon of light10.21 is a glorious beacon of light
Marines:
Name: Dillon
10.21's Tacoma Gallery
Jones, do you have a write or link to the light changes? I've seen dash but nothing for the digital clock, radio, etc...would much appreciate it.
Old 06-12-2011, 04:17 PM   #16

Jones's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10.21 View Post
Jones, do you have a write or link to the light changes? I've seen dash but nothing for the digital clock, radio, etc...would much appreciate it.
I have some links saved over time.

Digital clock for 2009+, not really a write up but it shows the pieces. It is very similar to the LCD on the odometer.
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/lig...backlight.html
and the air bag, seat belt
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/lig...ml#post2036191

Stock head unit from an 05 to 09 radio, it is close to the same as the 10+ radio with a few more LEDs.
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/t184748.html

Steering wheel controls
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/sh...ing+wheel+leds
Old 07-26-2011, 02:37 PM   #17
deerslayer75 is on a distinguished road
Name: Tim
deerslayer75's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jones View Post
I have some links saved over time.

Digital clock for 2010+, not really a write up but it shows the pieces. It is very similar to the LCD on the odometer.
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/lig...backlight.html
and the air bag, seat belt
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/lig...ml#post2036191

Stock head unit from an 05 to 09 radio, it is close to the same as the 10+ radio with a few more LEDs.
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/t184748.html

Steering wheel controls
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/sh...ing+wheel+leds
How difficult would it be to just change color of the lights in the HVAC? I wanted to go blue but was told it can't be done because the amber paper is sandwiched in there. would I have to go through all of those steps just to change the color or would it be a lot simpler than I was told?
Old 07-26-2011, 06:02 PM   #18

Jones's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by deerslayer75 View Post
How difficult would it be to just change color of the lights in the HVAC? I wanted to go blue but was told it can't be done because the amber paper is sandwiched in there. would I have to go through all of those steps just to change the color or would it be a lot simpler than I was told?
No other simpler way that I can image. The amber layer is to close to the top or outside of the dials, taking the amber layer out from the backside is not possible. The amber layer is directly under the silver paint and it doesn't take much sanding to get to it. Luckily the amber layer is not all the way through the dials and can be taken off.

Keeping the silver color of the dials should be possible, you just have to print the black parts in silver and then leave the white spray paint step out. Maybe a light coat of the VHT night shade for tail light tinting could be used to create the dark background for the icons and letters but still let the light in when the lights are on.
Old 08-16-2011, 04:07 PM   #20

Jones's Tacoma Gallery
I will fix it as soon I get back to my computer