Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

Wiring Piaa 510

Old 02-04-2011, 07:47 AM   #1
cotruckin is a glorious beacon of lightcotruckin is a glorious beacon of lightcotruckin is a glorious beacon of lightcotruckin is a glorious beacon of lightcotruckin is a glorious beacon of lightcotruckin is a glorious beacon of light
cotruckin's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to cotruckin
Wiring Piaa 510

I just got a set of the Piaa 510 for my All Pro bumper, and I was wondering if I could just wire the lights to the factory foglight wiring or if I have to run the new harness. I did see that in the wiring that came with the Piaa's that there is a 20A inline fuse and I do believe the stock ones are only 10A. I tried searching for it but was wondering if anyone had done this.
Thanks
Old 02-04-2011, 07:52 AM   #2
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
I've got 520's installed and I re-ran the wiring but kept the stock switch. The PIAA's will have more draw than the OEM lights. You'd probably be fine if you just swapped the fuse and but wire is cheap and it wasn't worth having an electrcal problem later.
Old 02-04-2011, 07:56 AM   #3
function > form
747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

747's Tacoma Gallery
fwiw, i'd recommend using the harness suppled by piaa. As to your question though, I don't have an answer...i bet someone will chime in though. In the meantime, you may consider checking out the mods & tutorials link at the top of the page, specifically the sublink titled wiring aftermarket lighting.

good luck man.

EDIT: pugga beat me to it.
Old 02-04-2011, 10:49 AM   #4
cotruckin is a glorious beacon of lightcotruckin is a glorious beacon of lightcotruckin is a glorious beacon of lightcotruckin is a glorious beacon of lightcotruckin is a glorious beacon of lightcotruckin is a glorious beacon of light
Yeah, I guess I will just run the new harness, I was just hoping for someting quick. Maybe I will make a custom bracket and put the stock fog lights in the upper center holes of the All Pro and get HID's for them.
Old 02-04-2011, 11:23 AM   #5
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cotruckin View Post
Yeah, I guess I will just run the new harness, I was just hoping for someting quick. Maybe I will make a custom bracket and put the stock fog lights in the upper center holes of the All Pro and get HID's for them.
Haha, you said you wanted something quick and your considering custom fabricating a bracket for stock fogs vs tracing stock wiring back and just plugging it into the stock switch? All you need to do is swap out wiring, the switches and relays are all included with the PIAA kit. But... if you decide to sell off those 510's, let me know

Try the PIAAs with your stock wiring, but I think you'll end up blowing that 10A fuse. It's not typically a good idea to upgrade fuses without making sure the wiring can handle the extra load.
Old 02-04-2011, 12:17 PM   #6
I meant something quick as in plugging them into the stock harness and going with it. I will do the. Custom bracket for the stock fogs in the center section and run the stock wiring to those then to the new harness and switch to the 510's in the fog light location.
Old 05-26-2011, 04:13 PM   #7
CVTejas
CVTejas is on a distinguished road
Name: Charles
CVTejas's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to CVTejas
PIAA installs

Well, did you get the PIAA's installed? I'm installing my Road Armor bumper and the PIAA 510's tonight so I was looking for guidance on how to use the factory wires to pull the PIAA wiring through the firewall.

I know some of you mentioned using the stock switch, was there any retro fitting / custom fab required or did it just plug in?

CVTejas