Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

DTRL and ARB bumper

Old 02-08-2011, 04:37 PM   #1
treaddy is on a distinguished road

treaddy's Tacoma Gallery
DTRL and ARB bumper

Hi everyone,

This may just be venting, but any insight would be appreciated.
I just paid $300 for something i thought would of been not a problem.

Last fall i had a arb bumper installed, right off the dtrl on the truck and the amber on the bumper would short out, first the passenger side then the drivers, after about ten minutes of idling or driving. No fuses blowing, just the lights cutting out, they would come back on after using the signal, for a bit, then cut out. So, i brought it back to the shop twice, they checked connections, rummaged a bit, and they would come back on, til i left, and cut out the next day, kinda frustrating.

So, i just took it to a reputable shop today, they rewired, installed relays, and fuses for the lights. Their reasoning was, the extra arb bulbs, were interfering, or drawing a different volt than the dtrl bulbs, hence, causing
something toyota, to shut off the power to the lights, excuse my ignorance.
The relays were put in to power the arb lights, and not effect the voltage for the dtrl.
Am i missing something?
I thought they would be a simple tie-in? scotch blocks
The little arb white driving lights still don't work,
I don't mind paying for good, quality work, and they are busy, but, did i just get mugged while smiling?
Sorry for the long rant,
Cheers
Old 05-21-2013, 05:35 PM   #2
LostCajun is a jewel in the roughLostCajun is a jewel in the roughLostCajun is a jewel in the rough

Firefighter: US Forest Service Wildland Firefighter
Name: Micah
LostCajun's Tacoma Gallery
I just installed my ARB myself and wired just as the instructions indicated and am currently having the exact same issue. Did you finally get this resolved? I really do not want to have to fool with relays and was thinking of replacing the bulbs in the bumper with leds. Do you know if this would work? It seems to me that having an led pull power from the bulb would be negligible and thus the voltage would be in tolerances and not blink the dtrls off. It seems really embarrassing to be driving this nice looking truck around yet having the dtrls blinking on and off as I drive around town.
Any help is greatly appreciated.
lost
Old 05-21-2013, 06:21 PM   #3
BillJC is on a distinguished road

Name: Bill
BillJC's Tacoma Gallery
I had the same issue. I solved it at first by installing lower wattage bulbs in the ARB. They were dimmer, but the dtrl still worked. It the additional lights drawing to much wattage for the DTRL module. Now, I have installed LED's in all of the DTRL's up front and installed resistors to make everything work well. No issues for the past 20K miles.
Old 05-21-2013, 06:30 PM   #4
treaddy is on a distinguished road

treaddy's Tacoma Gallery
Arb lights

Hi,
So yes after the relays were installed, I have had no problems.
The ambers in the bumper are tied into the dtrl's/signal,
And the white are tied into the driving/headlights
Both my dtrl's and ambers on the bumper are30 watt, look real good.
With a little knowledge, which I don't have, you could easily do this.
Cheers
Old 07-15-2013, 12:21 PM   #5
LostCajun is a jewel in the roughLostCajun is a jewel in the roughLostCajun is a jewel in the rough

Firefighter: US Forest Service Wildland Firefighter
Name: Micah
LostCajun's Tacoma Gallery
Update

As previously mentioned, I was looking to replace the bulbs in the bumper with LED's, but shopping for the bulbs, I found it much cheaper and easier to find the bulbs to replace the DTRL's in the grill rather than the bumper. So I replaced them instead and it solved the lights going out problem. I just got the forward facing LED's for now and will probably upgrade to ones that shine in all directions later, as I really don't like how the lights in the grill now are just small points... but that can be fixed later. The LED's solved the problem.