I just thought I would post it on TW too, let me know what you guys think!!
I have done quite a few retrofits before.... but for other people. Finally, I ordered some stuff for my own setup and it arrived in the mail yesterday. The build is as follows:
- 7x6 square, clear "eBay" housings
- Morimoto Mini D2S projectors (I wanted to go FX-R but the space in my engine bay behind the headlights is WAY too tight, so the smallest projector was key here...)
- Morimoto 35W ballasts
- Morimoto 4300k D2S bulbs
- Gatling shrouds
- Custom Lexan Headlight lenses
I was just soooo excited that I had to start this thread. I have only un-boxed the parts but I expect to make a lot of progress on the lights this weekend so stay tuned.
Some photos to show my progress.
I have one projector mounted. If I were to do these again I would make sure I got the eBay clear headlights WITHOUT the "city" light. I though thats what I ordered but apparently not. As you can see, I had to trim off the mount for that stupid blue LED. Just another hole that will need to get patched up.
The cutoff...... did a 2 washer "colour mod" while I had them apart. Lots of people take this mod too far and compromise cutoff clarity for color. I think I have a good balance here.
Wow, the lens projector lens is really dirty... it is hard to avoid, usually the last thing you do before sealing them up is clean the glass.
Shrouds on. I really wish the Gatling shrouds that I got were solid chrome, not the matte silver/chrome that you can see in the pics.
In almost any other application of this retrofit (7x6's are on soo many cars), you could mount the projectors WAY farther back and there is a WAY easier way to mount them. Seeing as how there is no room behind the headlights in my V6 yota, I had to mount the projectors as far forward as possible in order to clear the battery on the passenger side and the airbox on the driver side. I am even going to have to scrap my custom Lexan lenses because they wouldnt be "outset" like the glass ones that came with the headlights. Oh well, these are still going to be so awesome once I get them in the truck!! stoked.
UPDATE (Feb. 7, 2011):
Here are some more updated photos.
I attached some 3" PVC to the back of the headlight assembly via Gorilla Glue, JB Weld and some Silicone II. (it was a VERY thorough process!) Got a 3" end cap for the PVC and drilled out a hole that fits very snuggly around the threads of the backside of the projector. On the inside, there is a large nut followed by a large rubber washer that are threaded onto the back of the projector. Then the blue PVC endcap, and finally a rubber seal followed by the bulb retainer. This means the bulb retainer actually threads down onto the blue PVC endcap and seals the back of the headlight off while still being about to change bulbs without pulling anything apart. It also makes the internals slightly accessible if I ever do need to quickly break the air-tight seal and open them up, without re-baking them. The small grommet on the bottom is for the hi/low beam cutoff wires, activator switch.
I also decided to clean the lights up a bit after so much cutting and scratching, I tried to make it look as "from the factory" as possible. I still am not 100% sure if I will stick with this colour setup but it is growing on me, I may paint the reflector bowl gunmetal.