1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

My hids work with No relay. Wow

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by aidenhardcore, Feb 20, 2011.

1. Feb 21, 2011 at 9:39 AM
    epa4wd

epa4wd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eduardo
    Vehicle:
    2019 SR
    Clazzio Seat Covers OR Wheels 40% tint Side Steps KC Fog Lights

IMO I would run both with a relay. A 35 Watt HID is 35 Watts without taking into account the power consumed by the ballast, also as someone else stated, in the first couple of seconds when the HID are truning on, the amperage draw can be high.

The relay is mostly for protecting the wiring rather than the switch. There are aftermaket switches that can handle the load. Stock wiring of the truck's headlights already has a Relay, so the point of adding another relay is not for protecting the headlight switch, its for protecting the stock wiring.

BTW the issue is not the wattage, its the current. You can produce the same amount of Watts while pulling more Current from the source. For example a bulb with a thinner filament, vs a bulb with a thicker filament.

More current = more friction = more heat.

2. Feb 21, 2011 at 6:07 PM
    PreRunnerSeth

PreRunnerSeth Well-Known Member

Member:
    Apex, NC
    Vehicle:
    16 Super White Limited 4x4
    ok, so lots of bad info in this thread. The only thing you need a relay for is the telescoping hi/low type H4 Bulbs. What he has is the H4 bulbs that have a HID bulb for low beam and in the same capsule have a Halogen bulb for high beam. HIDs draw less current at steady state. The stock wiring is well protected with relays and fuses if you were overloading the stock wiring at all the original fuse would blow. It is true that HIDs do draw more current at start up. It takes several thousand volts at very low currents to start them. This translates to high current at the lower 12v supply voltage. This start voltage is only present for a few milliseconds when the bulb first starts up and tapers off rapidly. Most of this start current is provided by the capacitors in the ballast. The stock wiring is more than adequate to handle this. If anyone is interested i can dig up o-scope shots of the current draw from a HID flashlight design I worked on last year. :D

3. Feb 21, 2011 at 6:10 PM
    NelsonTacoma

NelsonTacoma This is my derpawayinator!!!!!

Member:
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner TRD Sport 03 4Runner Limited 4wd
    Bilstein 5100's , 6000k HID Hi/Low Kit, Magnaflow Muffler, 1.5 inch AP Wheel Spacers, Mudflap Delete
    x100000000

Products Discussed in

To Top