Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

HID bulb help

Old 03-03-2011, 03:01 PM   #1
SoonerTaco07 is on a distinguished road
Name: Nate
SoonerTaco07's Tacoma Gallery
HID bulb help

How do you hook up an HID H3 kit to your fogs? (Which are H10) I've been looking and can't find anything, thanks guys.
Old 03-03-2011, 03:15 PM   #2
anyone??
Old 03-03-2011, 03:27 PM   #3
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
The plug looks the same on both. What kit did you buy?
Old 03-03-2011, 03:29 PM   #4
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
Most kits these days are just plug-n-play. Thats how mine was and all I had to do was mount the ballast to the truck somewhere. Other then that, it was all plug-n-play. I think it took me a little bit to get the bulbs in cause they didnt quite match the socket but they went in eventually.
Old 03-03-2011, 03:30 PM   #5
KCCO!!!
MrJKC is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrJKC is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrJKC is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrJKC is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrJKC is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrJKC is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrJKC is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrJKC is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrJKC is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrJKC is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrJKC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Honorable discharge
MrJKC's Tacoma Gallery
The factory bulb plug will plug into the HID ballast and from the ballast to the HID bulb
Very easy to do
Old 03-03-2011, 03:30 PM   #6
First Class White Trash
achirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
achirdo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WW_FIREFIGHTER View Post
Most kits these days are just plug-n-play. Thats how mine was and all I had to do was mount the ballast to the truck somewhere. Other then that, it was all plug-n-play. I think it took me a little bit to get the bulbs in cause they didnt quite match the socket but they went in eventually.
x2 exactly
Old 03-03-2011, 03:44 PM   #7
I'll post some pics, but basically I got projector housings to replace my stock fog housings, and I also got an H3 HID conversion kit. I understand the plugs that go into the ballasts, but coming out of the HID bulb are two wires, and they don't fit into the stock plug, which is meant for the stock H10 bulb.
Attached Thumbnails
HID bulb help-img_1393.jpg  
Old 03-03-2011, 03:48 PM   #8
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Looks like a DDM kit. Did it come with a connector? My kit for my quad had the wires open like that but I had the connector in the box.
Old 03-03-2011, 03:51 PM   #9
Negative on the connector, unless I'm overlooking it. It just came with the projector housings, ballasts, HID's and a relay kit.
Old 03-03-2011, 03:53 PM   #10
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerTaco07 View Post
I'll post some pics, but basically I got projector housings to replace my stock fog housings, and I also got an H3 HID conversion kit. I understand the plugs that go into the ballasts, but coming out of the HID bulb are two wires, and they don't fit into the stock plug, which is meant for the stock H10 bulb.
So you swapped your stock ones for projectors?? Okay I need some more info on this kit!! I've heard of people talking about projector fogs but never read to much into it. I would like to do that swap one of these days as well. I just heard its quite pricey.
Old 03-03-2011, 03:57 PM   #11
Banned
Quote:
Negatie on the connector, unless I'm overlooking it. It just came with the projector housings, ballasts, HID's and a relay kit.
Maybe the connectors just push into the stock plug.
Old 03-03-2011, 03:58 PM   #12
It's not that expensive actually, just have to take out the stock housings and put in the new ones. Probably going to take a little work. But I just can't figure out how to plug in the H3 HID kit to the H10 plug... something I'll have to buy, connector?
Old 03-03-2011, 03:59 PM   #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
Maybe the connectors just push into the stock plug.
Don't they run off different Watts?
Old 03-03-2011, 04:03 PM   #14
Banned
Quote:
Don't they run off different Watts?
The ballast is going to take what it needs to run then it will send the correct wattage to the bulb. But if you are using a HID kit that uses more wattage than the wiring can deliver then you will need power from the battery. So a 35 watt kit will be fine but a 55 watt kit would be too much for the wiring.
Old 03-03-2011, 04:03 PM   #15
shredtacoma is a name known to allshredtacoma is a name known to allshredtacoma is a name known to allshredtacoma is a name known to allshredtacoma is a name known to allshredtacoma is a name known to all
Name: Jace
shredtacoma's Tacoma Gallery
one is power and one is ground. Power goes to the batt. and ground the ohter wire somewhere
Old 03-03-2011, 04:04 PM   #16
Quote:
The ballast is going to take what it needs to run then it will send the correct wattage to the bulb.
Just checked again, and those wires are too big to fit into the stock plug.
Old 03-03-2011, 04:04 PM   #17
Quote:
Originally Posted by shredtacoma View Post
one is power and one is ground. Power goes to the batt. and ground the ohter wire somewhere
Yeah, but the metal plugs on the two wires are too big to fit into the stock plugs.
Old 03-03-2011, 04:05 PM   #18
Banned
I added to my message. It sounds like you will have to modify or change the connectors on the HID side. I would not hard wire it up.
Old 03-03-2011, 04:06 PM   #19
Quote:
I added to my message. It sounds like you will have to modify or change the connectors. I would not hard wire it up.
What would you suggest doing?
Old 03-03-2011, 04:06 PM   #20
And it's a 35 watt kit..