Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

Wiring Hella 500's to stock fog switch- Help

Old 03-04-2011, 07:35 PM   #1
chieffan2 is on a distinguished road
chieffan2's Tacoma Gallery
Wiring Hella 500's to stock fog switch- Help

I want to wire my Hella's to work with the stock fog light switch. I already have the stock fogs intalled and working. I want the fog switch to turn on and off both the fogs and hella's together. Do I have to splice the wires or get a relay. Anyone know how to connect the two or know of a link on how to.

Thanks
Old 03-04-2011, 09:12 PM   #2
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chieffan2 View Post
I want to wire my Hella's to work with the stock fog light switch. I already have the stock fogs intalled and working. I want the fog switch to turn on and off both the fogs and hella's together. Do I have to splice the wires or get a relay. Anyone know how to connect the two or know of a link on how to.

Thanks
Did your hella's come with a wiring harness? Instructions? A relay? They usually do. If you have all these things, it's really simple. All you do is follow the instructions, but instead of wiring a switch you just take the one wire from the relay that should go to the switch and connect it to the positive wire going to the factory fog lights. Disregard the other wiring going to the switch in the instructions.
Old 03-04-2011, 09:15 PM   #3
Perfect. Thanks for the info. I will try that.
Old 03-04-2011, 10:08 PM   #4
Lurker No More
caribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: CAG11 & VAW-117 AME2
caribe makaira's Tacoma Gallery
Old 03-12-2011, 05:03 PM   #5
Do I still have to run wires into the cab if I an not using the a switch.
Old 03-12-2011, 07:07 PM   #6
Lurker No More
caribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shed

No...you'd tap the bluegreen power wire running to the fogs, so when they are ON so are the Hella's. Tap to 86 - 85 to ground. 30 from fused juice 87 to Hella's.
Old 03-12-2011, 08:33 PM   #7
Ok. Any suggestions on the best place to splice into the 86 wire?
Old 03-12-2011, 08:38 PM   #8
outxider is a jewel in the roughoutxider is a jewel in the roughoutxider is a jewel in the rough

Name: Sang
outxider's Tacoma Gallery
You tap into the harness coming out of the oem fog switch which requires running one wire off the hella 500's relay. I just finished wiring my hella 500s to a FJ cruiser oem switch, more work but I like in the independent control of the hellas and the factory look in the dash.
Old 03-12-2011, 08:43 PM   #9
So do I have to go through the firewall? I am trying to avoid that.
Old 03-12-2011, 08:49 PM   #10
larryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Vet: C-17 Avionics Engineer; Electrical Research Engineer
Name: Larry
larryde09's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chieffan2 View Post
So do I have to go through the firewall? I am trying to avoid that.
EDIT: -------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribe makaira View Post
No...you'd tap the bluegreen power wire running to the fogs, so when they are ON so are the Hella's. Tap to 86 - 85 to ground. 30 from fused juice 87 to Hella's.
x2....I don't know if the bluegreen wire he's refering is in the cab or in the engine compartment, so just to clarify....
--------------

No, if you want the hella's to turn on w/ the fog lights, here's the relay pin-out:
30-fused power
86-tap one of the power wires to a fog light
87-to Hella power
85-ground

Check out my basic electronics thread for more info (link in my signature)
Old 03-12-2011, 09:09 PM   #11
Got it. Thanks so much.
Old 03-12-2011, 10:11 PM   #12
Lurker No More

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryde09 View Post
No, if you want the hella's to turn on w/ the fog lights, here's the relay pin-out:
30-fused power
86-tap one of the power wires to a fog light
87-to Hella power
85-ground

Check out my basic electronics thread for more info (link in my signature)
Mmm..that's what I said...
Old 03-12-2011, 10:39 PM   #13
SIKWAY7 is on a distinguished road
Name: mark
SIKWAY7's Tacoma Gallery
Getting ready to do in-grille lights. If your truck has an avaiable stock switch opening you might want to run your fog lights separate next to it. I have a 2009 tacoma.There was one available stock opening. Bought another factory stock switch and harness. Found switch on ebay (48.00) and bought harness for 17.95 at local dealer parts. Roughly 65.00 to set-up. Already have pre-wired done. Couple more patrs(bumper) and I'm to install. All gonna look like factory installed. Abit of an expense but i'ts worth it to me. Plus the switches sent in packagesaren't very good.
Just my 2cents....Best to you.
Old 03-13-2011, 07:03 AM   #14
larryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Vet: C-17 Avionics Engineer; Electrical Research Engineer
Name: Larry
larryde09's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribe makaira View Post
Mmm..that's what I said...
You're right, but I assumed the OP wasn't sure if the blue/green wire you mentioned is located in the cab or the engine compartment. I edited my original post to give you props