Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

Headlights-Silverstars are crap

Old 09-17-2008, 08:25 PM   #21
There's a mod for that!
w8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Albert
w8n4mud's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by joedirt View Post
I must be the only one whose had good luck with the silverstars. I put a set in the truck over a year ago, they still work, my wife's civic has had them for two years now, no problems. She does however keep breaking the lenses on her foglights which cost 100.00 a piece to replace. ouch.
They might have been on the car for a while, but how much do you drive (or your wife)? I'm doing about 23k miles a year. My truck is not even 3 yrs old yet and it has over 61k miles. I usually drive with the lights on even during the day for safety purposes. I would go through my SilverStars in about 4 months as well.
Old 09-17-2008, 09:58 PM   #22
RobPaul is on a distinguished road
RobPaul's Tacoma Gallery
To Rockstar:

No, they are not the Ultras. go to eBay and look for the seller pdburg and you will see the actual package. These bulbs are "strictly speaking" illegal in the USA. But they are NOT noticeably illegal but aren't registered for sale here. But Osram owns Sylvania and they are 100% quality. They're made in Germany for goodness sakes...
Old 09-18-2008, 05:06 PM   #23
Rockstar2448 is on a distinguished road

Rockstar2448's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to Rockstar2448
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobPaul View Post
To Rockstar:

No, they are not the Ultras. go to eBay and look for the seller pdburg and you will see the actual package. These bulbs are "strictly speaking" illegal in the USA. But they are NOT noticeably illegal but aren't registered for sale here. But Osram owns Sylvania and they are 100% quality. They're made in Germany for goodness sakes...
Yeah I did the eBay search and found them. Thanks for the tip. German made, maybe that's why they are better than the Sylvania.
Old 09-18-2008, 05:08 PM   #24
Rockstar2448 is on a distinguished road

Rockstar2448's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to Rockstar2448
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobPaul View Post
To Rockstar:

Oh, and I noticed they also make a +90% bulb or something like that. Know anyone that ever tried them? I bet they are REALLY bright. What's the likelihood that a bulb like this would be so bright and hot that it could cause damage to the wiring harness?
Old 11-17-2008, 07:29 PM   #26
CVP71 is on a distinguished road
CVP71's Tacoma Gallery
I have been using the SilverStar Ultras with a harness upgrade from suvlights.com in the 2004 Taco. It made the bright beams brighter, but didn't do as much for the low beams. For some reason, it seems these bulbs don't last long in the Taco. However, I have a 2003 Ford Crown Victoria and I installed the harness upgrade from suvlights.com and installed the SilverStar Ultras. I've one blow out in 2 years in the Vic. Perhaps it's the wiring or electrical system in the Taco?
Old 11-17-2008, 08:57 PM   #27
Longy887 is on a distinguished road
Longy887's Tacoma Gallery
I love my silverstars, I've had 2 sets and this one is going on 2 years. Just don't let the glass on the bulb touch anything during install and they work just fine.
Old 11-17-2008, 09:46 PM   #28
CVP71's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longy887 View Post
I love my silverstars, I've had 2 sets and this one is going on 2 years. Just don't let the glass on the bulb touch anything during install and they work just fine.
I was careful not to touch anything as I know if you do, they're history. I just can't figure out why they blow out so easily in the Taco.
Old 12-29-2008, 12:15 PM   #29
NewJay will become famous soon enough
NewJay's Tacoma Gallery
I too have the Silverstar bad luck. I purchased a set from Waklmart in April 08' Then in October 08' they both burned out actually one high beam was gone and one low beam was gone, again I bought the second set from Walmart and BAM its Dec 08' and this Saturday as soon as I cranked the truck it happened again this time both lights and both high beams but the low beams work fine
HEY AT $38.00 a piece roughly 80.00 a pair Im starting to feel the pain at the bank.
Old 12-29-2008, 10:27 PM   #30
CVP71's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJay View Post
I too have the Silverstar bad luck. I purchased a set from Waklmart in April 08' Then in October 08' they both burned out actually one high beam was gone and one low beam was gone, again I bought the second set from Walmart and BAM its Dec 08' and this Saturday as soon as I cranked the truck it happened again this time both lights and both high beams but the low beams work fine
HEY AT $38.00 a piece roughly 80.00 a pair Im starting to feel the pain at the bank.
I hear the Phillips Crystal Visions are really great and give the SS Ultras a run for the money, but I haven't seen any around here.
Old 12-29-2008, 10:40 PM   #31
come on fhqwhgads
pittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shed

pittim's Tacoma Gallery
I kinda want to get yellow headlights (PIAA Plasma Yellow XTRA Bulbs) but they most likely wouldn't be bright enough...

Old 12-29-2008, 11:34 PM   #32
CVP71's Tacoma Gallery
SS Ultras

Yea, they might not be bright enough. Check with http://www.danielsternlighting.com/

He has some good info!
Old 12-30-2008, 01:50 AM   #33
come on fhqwhgads
pittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shed

pittim's Tacoma Gallery
The +90% are still 55/60w, so I'm guessing that since the wattage is the same, the heat will be similar.