Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

Headlights-Silverstars are crap

Old 09-14-2008, 07:47 PM   #1
Rockstar2448 is on a distinguished road

Rockstar2448's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to Rockstar2448
Headlights-Silverstars are crap

I'm looking to upgrade my headlight bulbs. I've been using the Sylvania Silverstars for my Taco and my wife's Accord and I'm really tired of replacing them. Where's a good online site for buying bulbs? Any suggestions to what kind/brand of headlight and fog light bulbs I should use? I want something good and bright, but probably not HID. I can't convince myself that the HID conversion is worth while if I can just use good standard bulbs for both vehicles. THANKS
Old 09-14-2008, 07:48 PM   #2
This is TW. One never knows what is a joke anymore
beastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
beastlytaco's Tacoma Gallery
philipps makes a really good headlight ill try to find a link. heres one for ya http://www.luminicsusa.com/ i dont really know anything about them but i hear they are really good.
Old 09-14-2008, 07:59 PM   #5
bite me
humanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shed

humanoid's Tacoma Gallery
powerbulbs.com
Old 09-14-2008, 08:34 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by luk8272 View Post
I used the sylvania for years but it seemed like I was replacing one bulb at a time every six months.
Exactly! I have to keep a spare bulb for my Taco and the wife's Accord in the car at all times because they seem to blowout in alternate fashion, and the two vehicles don't use the same bulb.
Old 09-14-2008, 08:39 PM   #7
There's a mod for that!
w8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Albert
w8n4mud's Tacoma Gallery
I like the SilverStars as well. Yes they are crap because they blow out all the time. I gave up and even emailed the company my frustrations. Never heard back. I do plan on making the upgrade to the HID's but until then Wal-Mart has what we need. The GE brand for both myself and our other car...Toyota Highlander.
Old 09-14-2008, 08:46 PM   #8
Founder Socaltacomas.com
SocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve-0
SocalMan22's Tacoma Gallery
Im running piaa's intense white.
Old 09-14-2008, 09:02 PM   #9
Aspiring wrench monkey
TacoCo is a glorious beacon of lightTacoCo is a glorious beacon of lightTacoCo is a glorious beacon of lightTacoCo is a glorious beacon of lightTacoCo is a glorious beacon of light

TacoCo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockstar2448 View Post
Exactly! I have to keep a spare bulb for my Taco and the wife's Accord in the car at all times because they seem to blowout in alternate fashion, and the two vehicles don't use the same bulb.
I always wondered if it was just me. I did have a crack in the headlight on my old 4Runner, but I never got any condensation or anything like that, and the silverstar bulbs would burn out all the time
Old 09-16-2008, 07:15 PM   #10

How are the PIAA's holding up for you? I've heard mixed reviews on them from other people. I used one pair in my wife's car a few years back and they didn't seem to last very long. Don't know if I just had bad luck or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalman22 View Post
Im running piaa's intense white.
Old 09-16-2008, 07:52 PM   #11
lakewoodbilly will become famous soon enoughlakewoodbilly will become famous soon enough

Name: Bill
lakewoodbilly's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to lakewoodbilly
Here's what I have had for the last couple of months. Love them.

Headlighgts: PIAA 4100K H4's
Foglights: Luminics JDM Yellow H10's
Old 09-16-2008, 10:09 PM   #12
RobPaul is on a distinguished road
RobPaul's Tacoma Gallery
Alternate to Sylvania SilverStars

I have been buying Osram Silverstars from a seller on eBay for several years now and think they are the best. I buy the Osram +50% versions as they are the same wattage (no burned wires!) but the light is the closest to HID that I have found.

The seller I have been buying from is: pdburg. Check him out and see his feedback! Again, the +50% is the one to focus on as they are not going to burn out the lenses or the wiring and I KNOW you will see the difference. Not a "phony" bluish tint - but super clear bright white light.

I love them on my 2008 Tacoma! Rob
Old 09-16-2008, 10:12 PM   #13
RobPaul is on a distinguished road
RobPaul's Tacoma Gallery
CHOOSE THE LEADING LIGHT,OSRAM

1 NEW PAIR H4 OSRAM SILVERSTAR +50% MORE LIGHT 60/55 watt CAPS.

MANUFACTURED IN GERMANY, A PRECISE FILAMENT COIL AND XENON GAS ENSURE A LONG BRILLIANT LIFE, UV BLOCKING GLASS IS SAFE FOR PLASTIC HEADLIGHT LENSES. THESE BULBS WILL NOT DIM WITH AGE, OVER 90% OF INITIAL LIGHT OUTPUT IS MAINTAINED OVER THE ENTIRE LIFE OF THE BULB. TESTS GIVE TOP RATINGS TO THESE BULBS, AND PROVE THEY PUT OUT UP TO 50% MORE LIGHT ON THE ROAD! SEE AN EXTRA 20 METERS!

OSRAM SILVERSTARS AVAILABLE ONLY IN H1, H4, H7'S
Old 09-17-2008, 04:35 PM   #14

How are the Luminics? I've considered them too. Are you running the wiring harness that they recommend on their website to prevent melting or damage to the factory wiring? I'm not sure if it's worth the $20 investment on the harness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexbill View Post
Here's what I have had for the last couple of months. Love them.

Headlighgts: PIAA 4100K H4's
Foglights: Luminics JDM Yellow H10's
Old 09-17-2008, 04:38 PM   #15
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
i bought a cheap set of superwhite hid bulbs off ebay and ran them over a year w/o one blowing...just got a set of each again for this taco in headlight and fogs for $30 shipped...i ran a set of silverstars for my old s10 and they crapped out in about 4 months...then bought a cheap set off ebay for those and they ran for years
Old 09-17-2008, 04:42 PM   #16
Revived and BACK baby!
joedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant future

Army: Squad Automatic Rifleman, 29th Light Infantry
joedirt's Tacoma Gallery
I must be the only one whose had good luck with the silverstars. I put a set in the truck over a year ago, they still work, my wife's civic has had them for two years now, no problems. She does however keep breaking the lenses on her foglights which cost 100.00 a piece to replace. ouch.
Old 09-17-2008, 04:43 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobPaul View Post
I have been buying Osram Silverstars from a seller on eBay for several years now and think they are the best. I buy the Osram +50% versions as they are the same wattage (no burned wires!) but the light is the closest to HID that I have found.

The seller I have been buying from is: pdburg. Check him out and see his feedback! Again, the +50% is the one to focus on as they are not going to burn out the lenses or the wiring and I KNOW you will see the difference. Not a "phony" bluish tint - but super clear bright white light.

I love them on my 2008 Tacoma! Rob

Is this the bulb that is labeled and advertised and the Silverstar Ultra? It's a 4100k color temp bulb?
Old 09-17-2008, 04:46 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedirt View Post
I must be the only one whose had good luck with the silverstars. I put a set in the truck over a year ago, they still work, my wife's civic has had them for two years now, no problems. She does however keep breaking the lenses on her foglights which cost 100.00 a piece to replace. ouch.
Ouch on the fog lights! That hurts. And yeah from the looks of it you are the only one with good luck on the Silverstar bulb. I know I've been running them for a few years in my Taco, my wife's Accord, and even had them in my previous ride, and tricked Civic. Honestly the only time they lasted for even more than 8 months was in my Civic. Since then I replace one every couple of months.
Old 09-17-2008, 04:48 PM   #19
lakewoodbilly will become famous soon enoughlakewoodbilly will become famous soon enough

Name: Bill
lakewoodbilly's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to lakewoodbilly
Quote:
How are the Luminics? I've considered them too. Are you running the wiring harness that they recommend on their website to prevent melting or damage to the factory wiring? I'm not sure if it's worth the $20 investment on the harness.
They seem good so far; they are a little deeper cooler than my PIAA headlights; but different colors are good for bad weather.

I did not buy the wiring harness, I decided it was a way for them to get more money from you. The bulbs themselves would get no hotter than the factory bulbs as they are the same type - just a different color.

Bill
Old 09-17-2008, 04:54 PM   #20
Founder Socaltacomas.com
SocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve-0
SocalMan22's Tacoma Gallery
So far so good 1yr no probs nice and bright for me.
Quote:
How are the PIAA's holding up for you? I've heard mixed reviews on them from other people. I used one pair in my wife's car a few years back and they didn't seem to last very long. Don't know if I just had bad luck or not.