Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

OEM Bulb Replacement Help

Old 03-12-2011, 01:23 PM   #1
Jessi is on a distinguished road
Name: Jessi
Jessi's Tacoma Gallery
Question OEM Bulb Replacement Help

I tried searching the internet and the forums on TW, but I can't seem to find any help.

It's a Saturday and my passenger side headlight burned out last night.
The dealership next to my house is too busy to help me today and most mechanics are charging $50. I just purchased a replacement and am trying to follow the instructions in the manual, but I can't seem to get past step 2 (remove the rubber seal). The problem is that the windshield washer container is behind the headlight thing, which doesn't give me much room to see or pull the seal off.

If anyone has any advice from personal experience to offer, I would be greatly appreciative.

I need to replace the bulb today.

Jess

P.S. I'm a girl and have very limited experience with cars
Old 03-12-2011, 01:29 PM   #2
just an AnT
AsianAnts is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsianAnts is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsianAnts is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsianAnts is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsianAnts is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsianAnts is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsianAnts is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsianAnts is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsianAnts is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsianAnts is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsianAnts is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 3451, 1st Civ Div MCB Camp Pendleton
Name: AnT
AsianAnts's Tacoma Gallery
welcome to TW Jessi... check this out:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/lig...e-posting.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessi View Post
I tried searching the internet and the forums on TW, but I can't seem to find any help.

It's a Saturday and my passenger side headlight burned out last night.
The dealership next to my house is too busy to help me today and most mechanics are charging $50. I just purchased a replacement and am trying to follow the instructions in the manual, but I can't seem to get past step 2 (remove the rubber seal). The problem is that the windshield washer container is behind the headlight thing, which doesn't give me much room to see or pull the seal off.

If anyone has any advice from personal experience to offer, I would be greatly appreciative.

I need to replace the bulb today.

Jess

P.S. I'm a girl and have very limited experience with cars
Old 03-12-2011, 03:07 PM   #3
Jessi's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AsianAnts View Post
welcome to TW Jessi... check this out:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/lig...e-posting.html
Thanks, but I didn't see anything about removing the rubber seal at the back of the headlight. I need to replace the original headlight bulb.
Old 03-12-2011, 03:17 PM   #4
Jessi's Tacoma Gallery
I found the following thread, but I still can't get it!!

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/lig...ight-bulb.html
Old 03-12-2011, 04:02 PM   #6
Boiling denim and bangin whores
Tacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Clam Slammer
Tacomanator's Tacoma Gallery
the rubber boot just pops right off. remove the 3 bolts holding the wiper fluid reservoir in place and move it aside to give you more room to work with... its so easy, even a girl can do it
Old 03-13-2011, 06:35 AM   #7
larryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Vet: C-17 Avionics Engineer; Electrical Research Engineer
Name: Larry
larryde09's Tacoma Gallery
It can be tough, but just keep working it, it will just pop off. Grab the little tabs and pull/twist each one until it works off.

You might want to practice on the driver's side headlight just to get a feel for how to take it on and off where there's more room.
Old 03-13-2011, 06:53 AM   #8
facemob is one of the sharper tools in the shedfacemob is one of the sharper tools in the shedfacemob is one of the sharper tools in the shedfacemob is one of the sharper tools in the shedfacemob is one of the sharper tools in the shedfacemob is one of the sharper tools in the shedfacemob is one of the sharper tools in the shedfacemob is one of the sharper tools in the shedfacemob is one of the sharper tools in the shedfacemob is one of the sharper tools in the shedfacemob is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chase
facemob's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryde09 View Post
It can be tough, but just keep working it, it will just pop off. Grab the little tabs and pull/twist each one until it works off.

You might want to practice on the driver's side headlight just to get a feel for how to take it on and off where there's more room.
x2. just pull off the rubber dust gaurd by gripping the tabs and pulling. it may feel as if your going to rip it, but its pretty durable. its easier than you think. remember to not get your greasy fingers all over the glass on the bulb
Old 03-13-2011, 06:58 AM   #9
larryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Vet: C-17 Avionics Engineer; Electrical Research Engineer
Name: Larry
larryde09's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by facemob View Post
x2. just pull off the rubber dust gaurd by gripping the tabs and pulling. it may feel as if your going to rip it, but its pretty durable. its easier than you think. remember to not get your greasy fingers all over the glass on the bulb
x2...I see people touching the bulbs all the time! Even the grease/sweat of a clean finger is enough to burnout a bulb prematurely. Can get expensive if you use bulbs that are better/more expensive than a standard hallogen.
Old 03-18-2011, 02:20 PM   #10
Jessi's Tacoma Gallery
I had some help. He took out the windshield washer jug to help remove the seal and the bulb. He even filled my washer fluid after he was done! Sweet old man.

Thanks everyone for your replies to my thread.