Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

MA Law & Lighting

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-17-2011, 11:07 AM   #1
phs2dent is on a distinguished road
phs2dent's Tacoma Gallery
MA Law & Lighting

I've got an '04 Tacoma (new to me) that I'd like to do some work on...with a very limited budget.

I'm thinking of doing a version of the blinker mod and installing these (see link) driving lights where the blinkers are. Initially I was going to install them on the OEM bumper, but am wondering if having them hidden would be of greater benefit. I only plan on using them when driving outside of city/off road, so they'll be hooked to the lights and a switch.

http://www.harborfreight.com/automot...hts-37349.html

Does anyone have any experience with MA laws and lighting? Technically no aftermarket lights are approved for use. Fog and driving lights have to be DOT approved and only used during "extreme conditions". Can you be fined if mounted on bumper, but not turned on?
Old 03-17-2011, 11:44 AM   #2
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
I've got a set of PIAAs on a grille guard and haven't been bothered. I'm not sure if they have a DOT stamp on them or not though, I can check after work. Mine are wired so they can only come on with the high beams. I would imagine that as long as you're not using them incorrectly, or around traffic, no one will bother you. Safety inspections have never been a problem for me either.

EDIT: I went to RMV's website, any lighting that is not SAE or DOT approved shall be removed. I guess it's fair warning, if they want to give you a hard time, legally they can make you remove them from the truck. I think if they're covered they're viewed as an off-road use only but I'd wait and let someone else chime in on that part.
Old 03-20-2011, 06:50 PM   #3
phs2dent is on a distinguished road
phs2dent's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks,

I installed them on my bumper and wired up everything...except power.

Did you wire power to yours to the lights coming out of the fuse box in the engine? I was starting to run out of daylight and a little unsure, so I figured I'd play it safe and wait.

Products Discussed in this Thread