Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

Projector Headlights

Old 03-24-2011, 09:00 AM   #1
Onion27 is a jewel in the roughOnion27 is a jewel in the roughOnion27 is a jewel in the roughOnion27 is a jewel in the rough
Name: Jason
Onion27's Tacoma Gallery
Projector Headlights

I was wondering if anyone has installed projector headlights on their 2005 Tacoma. If so what brand? Style? Do they put out as much light as the stck headlights? If you have installed them can you show your pics?
Old 03-24-2011, 09:05 AM   #2
I KEEEEEL YOU
Burgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Stephen
Burgman's Tacoma Gallery
are u talking about just installing projectors or projectors with HID bulbs and ballasts?

i have retrofitted HID projectors in my truck from theretrofitsource.com, the fxr model. the light output is much higher than stock and i cause less distraction to other drivers as there is no more hotspots and glare

if u check in my gallery ull see some output pics
Old 03-24-2011, 09:22 AM   #3
Onion27 is a jewel in the roughOnion27 is a jewel in the roughOnion27 is a jewel in the roughOnion27 is a jewel in the rough
Onion27's Tacoma Gallery
I'm looking at something like this...

Do they work as well as factory?
Old 03-24-2011, 09:29 AM   #4
‹^› ‹(ಠ_ಠ)› ‹^›
NYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: bOb
NYCO's Tacoma Gallery
no...most of those projectors actually put out less light..i had the first gen of those style of lights..

i recently swapped out the H1 bulbs for an HID conversion kit and love the new light output
Old 03-24-2011, 09:29 AM   #5
t4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

t4daddy's Tacoma Gallery
According to most that have went that route, the output is worse than stock, some (lights) even say they are not rated for HIDs. I, also went the Retrofitsourse way with Morimoto Minis.
Old 03-24-2011, 09:31 AM   #6
‹^› ‹(ಠ_ಠ)› ‹^›
NYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NYCO's Tacoma Gallery
with HID conversion on my projectors

HID on with hella 75s

Old 03-24-2011, 09:32 AM   #7
‹^› ‹(ಠ_ಠ)› ‹^›

NYCO's Tacoma Gallery
retro fits are the way to go...they look amazing, uses the stock housing, you can BHLM them and you get the HID output...if i had to do it again i would have gone straight to retro fit
Old 03-24-2011, 10:12 AM   #8
TastyTaco will become famous soon enoughTastyTaco will become famous soon enough
Name: Nick
TastyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCO View Post
retro fits are the way to go...they look amazing, uses the stock housing, you can BHLM them and you get the HID output...if i had to do it again i would have gone straight to retro fit

+1

I love my retro fit and it was easy to install.
Old 03-24-2011, 10:25 AM   #9
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
I love my retros!!

Old 03-28-2011, 11:32 AM   #11
Onion27's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WW_FIREFIGHTER View Post
I love my retros!!

Do you have a write up on how you did this?
Old 03-28-2011, 11:54 AM   #12
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onion27 View Post
No, I actually had them made by a member on TW.
Old 03-28-2011, 11:58 AM   #13
Ipunchwalls will become famous soon enoughIpunchwalls will become famous soon enough
Name: Brian
Ipunchwalls's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onion27 View Post
write up by member toobluetacoma06:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/lig...-big-pics.html
Old 03-28-2011, 12:40 PM   #15
Lieutenant Dan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris duby View Post
Here is what I plan on doing here in a few months... but when I order them I'm going to have them upgraded to 10000k HID bulbs for the extra cost ($135). I'm pretty sure it's going to be brighter than stock.

http://www.dashzracing.com/Lighting-...-p8450818.html
You sure you want 10K bulbs? I think they are going to look to purple.
Old 03-28-2011, 12:44 PM   #16
‹^› ‹(ಠ_ಠ)› ‹^›

NYCO's Tacoma Gallery
4000-6000k will give you the whitest and brightest output.
Old 03-28-2011, 12:47 PM   #17
This is where I write something clever
chris duby is a glorious beacon of lightchris duby is a glorious beacon of lightchris duby is a glorious beacon of lightchris duby is a glorious beacon of lightchris duby is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Chris
chris duby's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
You sure you want 10K bulbs? I think they are going to look to purple.
I've seen 6000k and 10000k (friends vehicles) and I could see better and farther with 10000k. It is the highest kelvin you could go and still be legal in Texas. And it's kind of like a blueish white color. IMO
Old 03-28-2011, 12:56 PM   #18
Lieutenant Dan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris duby View Post
I've seen 6000k and 10000k (friends vehicles) and I could see better and farther with 10000k. It is the highest kelvin you could go and still be legal in Texas. And it's kind of like a blueish white color. IMO
Oh okay. I got 6K on mine it has a hint of blue in it. I've seen 10K in person and it was to blue for me.
Old 03-28-2011, 12:56 PM   #19
‹^› ‹(ಠ_ಠ)› ‹^›

NYCO's Tacoma Gallery
it's definitely a bluer color, looks like a step before the purple colored HIDs

"The Kelvin (K) is the unit of color temperature. 4100K is the brightest, most natural white light similar to that of daytime sunlight, and therefore the HID color temperature used most in the OEM automotive industry. When you look at the light coming directly out of an HID headlight, it possesses a bit of a blue or purple hue which most people recognize as the expensive, elegant look characteristic of HIDs. For this reason, some HID kit manufacturers produce 5400K, 6500K, 8000K, etc. bulbs that give an even more distinct blue hue but at the expense of overall light output. For comparison, most halogen headlights have a color temperature around 3200K which gives them a yellowish appearance compared to HIDs.

Blue light is more fatiguing to the eyes, both to oncoming traffic and to the driver. Oncoming cars will see your lights for only a brief time, but as the driver, you must deal with it for the duration of your drive. The bluer the tint cast on the road and surrounding area, the more quickly your eyes become tired. It is a personal choice and I recognize and respect that some install HIDs mostly for the look. However, very blue headlights might get you the wrong kind of attention from law enforcement. Personally, I would like to benefit from my investment in the way of increased visibility and safety. Be aware that most of the 6500K and higher bulbs are produced by inferior manufacturers to capitalize on the maketability of "the bigger number must be better". Their 8000K bulbs may not measure 8000K. Do not be fooled."
Old 03-28-2011, 12:57 PM   #20
‹^› ‹(ಠ_ಠ)› ‹^›

NYCO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Oh okay. I got 6K on mine it has a hint of blue in it. I've seen 10K in person and it was to blue for me.
i also have 6k and when you look at them, they have a slight blue color, but the output is very white