Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

Installing wiring for towing

Old 03-25-2011, 01:48 PM   #1
pikey is on a distinguished road
pikey's Tacoma Gallery
Installing wiring for towing

Hi - I have an 08' SR5 Tacoma without the wiring for towing, so I picked up a harness and I just have to clip the wire harness near the bumper and replace with this one. I noticed that under the hood there is a space for a towing relay and mine is empty. So I guess that Tacomas that come wired for towing come with this relay and a dedicated harness? I should be ok to do as I plan by replaing the harness?

Thanks!
Old 03-25-2011, 01:57 PM   #2
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
A good aftermarket harness will plug in-line into existing harness sockets at the tail lights.

If yours "crimps" onto existing insulated wires , return it and get a good Toyota-specific one.
Old 03-25-2011, 02:04 PM   #3
pikey is on a distinguished road
pikey's Tacoma Gallery
The harness does have all the wiring and sockets for the tail lights too, but I will need to cut the original harness before the splits for the taillights and towing wiring and wire in this one. It does not jus crimp to the wiring, no.
Old 03-27-2011, 05:27 AM   #4
larryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Vet: C-17 Avionics Engineer; Electrical Research Engineer
Name: Larry
larryde09's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjmoose View Post
A good aftermarket harness will plug in-line into existing harness sockets at the tail lights.

If yours "crimps" onto existing insulated wires , return it and get a good Toyota-specific one.
x2....a quality harness has plugs that match your tail light harnesses - no cutting requried!

As far as the relay is concerned, it is likely for the 7 pin connector or maybe a brake controller...I'm not sure what exactly comes with the stock towing package. However, a simple 4-pin connector doesn't need a relay because trailer lights (which nowadays are typically LEDs) don't typically draw enough current to put your stock wiring at risk. The wiring harness paperwork should speak to this fact.