Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

Needs help on How to removed Third Brake Light Housing

Old 03-27-2011, 10:13 AM   #1
Antipatiko0206 is on a distinguished road
Antipatiko0206's Tacoma Gallery
Needs help on How to removed Third Brake Light Housing

I'm trying to run my satellite antenna thru the third brake light , any inputs and advice would be appreciated.
Old 03-27-2011, 10:25 AM   #2
Texoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Machinist Mate NEC 4283
Name: Chris(Topher)
Texoma's Tacoma Gallery
First take the cover off. Is it 05 and up or 04 and down? I am sure all 05 and ups have torx screws for the cover. Get that cover off, take out the bulbs and see what you're working with. If you don't see any screws on the outside they may be on the inside which you'll have to gain access to get the sat wire out anyway. After checking both sides and you don't see any screws then you know you have plastic tabs holding it in. Careful not to break them but don't be afraid to use a lil force. Don't use any metal object to pry it out, use plastic, maybe modify an old toothbrush into a screw driver kinda like they do in jail, and use that to pry. This is the best I can do to help you cuz I don't feel like disassembling my stuff. But if I were to, that is what I'd do.
Old 03-27-2011, 10:29 AM   #3
Texoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Texoma's Tacoma Gallery
Didn't pay attention that you were Drexel Hill. I am out in Spring City, which is west of KOP on 422. If ya need help with this you can come over my place and I'll help ya out no prob. I'm off next thurs and this mon thru weds I don't leave for work til after noon. PM me if interested. Also looked and saw it was an 05. Should be torx screws. I have those if ya need.
Old 03-27-2011, 11:36 AM   #4
If The World Didn't Suck, We'd All Fall Off
Rocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
Rocketball's Tacoma Gallery
I did this in my 08.

After removing the 2 torx screws from the lens, pull out the lens and remove the bulb(s).

You should see the reflective housing. Mine had no screws, but it was held in place by a foam gasket that had adhesive on both sides. It took some force to remove the reflector, and I did that by cutting the gasket. Just be very careful not to scratch the paint.

After removing the reflector you should have complete access to the interior of the cab thru the hole in the sheetmetal.

To make the access a bit easier, I popped loose a few of the clips holding the headliner in place along the back window. That made fishing the antenna wire thru the headliner to the C pillar much easier.

After locating the spot where I wanted the magnetic antenna to be, I reinstalled the reflector using some multi-purpose sealent to keep it from leaking. Than installed the bulb(s), put the lens back, and put the 2 torx screws back in.

The antenna wire came out thru the slice in the gasket and never leaked.

No pics to share. Sorry.
Old 03-28-2011, 10:45 AM   #5
Chris & Scott,

Thanks for your input guys... Now I am more confident to tackle tis little project of mine. But it has to wait a few more days, still cold for me to do some tweaking outside. More power to you guys especially the forum.
Old 04-02-2011, 02:57 PM   #6
finally did it today

1. prying out the housing with a hard plastic object. I think you can also use a fishing line on this, similar process when debadging my truck.

2. pulling it out, nice and slow.

3. running the antenna cable, thru the headliner (pop the two plastic tabs inside to loosen the headliner)

4. dry fitting ( i made a bobo on this, measured once, cut it twice, notice the wire slot in the housing)

5. finished product w/ silicone sealant.
Old 04-03-2011, 05:35 AM   #8

Texoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antipatiko0206 View Post
1. prying out the housing with a hard plastic object. I think you can also use a fishing line on this, similar process when debadging my truck.

2. pulling it out, nice and slow.

3. running the antenna cable, thru the headliner (pop the two plastic tabs inside to loosen the headliner)

4. dry fitting ( i made a bobo on this, measured once, cut it twice, notice the wire slot in the housing)

5. finished product w/ silicone sealant.

Bravo