Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

Map Light LED installation

Old 03-28-2011, 10:30 PM   #1
doubletap is on a distinguished road

doubletap's Tacoma Gallery
Map Light LED installation

Just finished installing my LED map and dome lights for my Taco. I searched around here before doing the install and couldn't find much on how to remove the map light bulb. Indeed they are a PITA to remove because you can't get enough grip on the tip of the bulb to remove it, however with the right method and tool you can get it out pretty darn easy.

Here is how.

1) Get a flat screw driver with a nice sharp edge.

2) Next get painters tape (what I used) or electrical tape and wrap the end of the screw driver but be sure not to wrap too much or you won't have enough sharpness to pry into the edges to take the cover off.

3) To pop the cover off, just find one of the edges that hold up the panel and pry under it and apply a little pressure and it will pop out. Do not worry about scratches because that is what the painters tape for. Once you pop the cover off it will look like this inside. Sorry for the bad picture....

4) Now is the sort of the tricky part. What you will need to do is change to a smaller type of screw driver head. I changed to a 1/8 , and wrapped it around about 1 1/2 times with painters tape. You want to take the screw driver head above the chrome reflectors and apply pressure downwards against the bulb while tugging on it with the grip you can get with the other hand and it should pop right out. I used a flashlight to do it at night but i'm pretty sure you should be able to see it in the day better.

5) Put the bulb in (Sorry no pictures of that, its really straight forward. They go in the same way they come out.

6) Put the cap on and your done.

Dome Light-
This is so easy it doesn't even need a DIY. All you need to do it take the painters taped screw driver head and find the prying clip mark. Get under with the screw driver and pry. Use force and it will come off, be sure not to pull so hard cause the other end has wiring attached along with a clip. Just be nice and easy.

Here is the finished product

Lights Purchased from: http://www.superbrightleds.com/

Map Lights - 2x WLED-x5 LED Wide Angle LED bulb (White) 194/168 Wedge Bulb

Dome Light - 1x 4410-x9 LED Festoon bulb (White) 194/168 Wedge Bulb

The lights match well in color and are bright enough. I like them because you won't blind your passengers and they look cool too.

Good Luck all
Old 04-01-2011, 08:26 AM   #2
JLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
JLink's Tacoma Gallery
Did you do the map lights on with dome light mod too or are you still using the stock configuration? I want to swap to LEDs but I remember reading somewhere that if you have done the map lights with dome light mod, it makes it more complicated for led swap.

Thanks for this thread, definitely helpful
Old 04-01-2011, 09:03 AM   #3
JLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JLink's Tacoma Gallery
Just ordered mine! Didn't realize they were plug and play.. Can't be any easier!
Old 04-01-2011, 12:52 PM   #4
doubletap is on a distinguished road

doubletap's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLink View Post
Did you do the map lights on with dome light mod too or are you still using the stock configuration? I want to swap to LEDs but I remember reading somewhere that if you have done the map lights with dome light mod, it makes it more complicated for led swap.

Thanks for this thread, definitely helpful
I did both. I started with the dome light first because its just 1 bulb, and then did the map lights.
Old 04-04-2011, 05:42 PM   #5
Kenny Fuckin Powers
jtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jtav2002's Tacoma Gallery
Nice write up. I chose to go the blinding method myself haha. Used the ultra thin flat LED light from Oznium. They are insanely bright and look awesome.
Old 04-04-2011, 08:44 PM   #6
MightyP is on a distinguished road
Name: Paul
MightyP's Tacoma Gallery
LED light swaps are great, keep you from having to replace bulbs as often and give your ride a classier look (IMO)
Old 04-05-2011, 09:11 AM   #7
NLF is on a distinguished road
Name: Levi
NLF's Tacoma Gallery
I installed the leds last night in my map lights and dome light. They are awesome, and look much classier than the old school bulbs.
Old 07-08-2011, 04:38 PM   #8
Retired?
gatlin69 has much to be proud ofgatlin69 has much to be proud ofgatlin69 has much to be proud ofgatlin69 has much to be proud ofgatlin69 has much to be proud ofgatlin69 has much to be proud ofgatlin69 has much to be proud ofgatlin69 has much to be proud ofgatlin69 has much to be proud of

Air Force: Retired
Name: Scott
gatlin69's Tacoma Gallery
I just got mine in...so much better thanks happyb!!!

Getting those map lights out were a huge pain in the ass.
Old 07-08-2011, 04:47 PM   #9
flyzeye designs is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyzeye designs is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyzeye designs is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyzeye designs is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyzeye designs is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyzeye designs is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyzeye designs is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyzeye designs is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyzeye designs is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyzeye designs is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyzeye designs is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: GM2 5"/54 Mount Captain, Small Arms Instructor, Ship's VBSS-Sweep Team Member & Lead Climber, Armory
Name: Darren
flyzeye designs's Tacoma Gallery
I LIKE it!!! Nice information. Thanks!

...and all we came up with was:

Old 07-14-2011, 12:59 AM   #10
patwrik is on a distinguished road
patwrik's Tacoma Gallery
I just swapped my map lights and dome light as well. I also did the compass/temp fix.

I found it easier to remove the overhead console and poke through the holes to pop the lense and bulb.
Old 07-14-2011, 01:27 AM   #11
Morto un papa, se ne fa un'altro
motorsport36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmotorsport36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmotorsport36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmotorsport36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmotorsport36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmotorsport36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmotorsport36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmotorsport36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmotorsport36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmotorsport36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmotorsport36 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: EOD TEU1, MU 8, BUD/s 225, MA 9545
Name: Jason
motorsport36's Tacoma Gallery
nice subd for reference
Old 08-19-2011, 02:18 PM   #12
Tasty fish in a tortilla
SalmonTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSalmonTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSalmonTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSalmonTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSalmonTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSalmonTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSalmonTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSalmonTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSalmonTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSalmonTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSalmonTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andrew
SalmonTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I changed mine this morning to the same ones from superbrightleds.com. The dome light was easy and the 44mm bulb fit ok, maybe a little too long. I then moved on to my map lights...

After removing the lenses (I used a painter's tape wrapped small flat blade screwdriver - pry carefully from the side nearest the door) there sat the stock bulbs. After a bit of struggle I had an idea how to remove those bastards super easily and I guarantee it won't scratch up your plastic console...

I peeled off about an inch of 2" wide painters tape, made a tiny tube that was about the diameter of the stock bulb, slid it over and yanked it right out. I had plenty of tape "tail" for me to pull the bulb out with ease.

And I was very happy.
Old 08-28-2011, 06:02 PM   #13
vanzigler is on a distinguished road
Name: Van
vanzigler's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SalmonTaco View Post
I changed mine this morning to the same ones from superbrightleds.com. The dome light was easy and the 44mm bulb fit ok, maybe a little too long. I then moved on to my map lights...

After removing the lenses (I used a painter's tape wrapped small flat blade screwdriver - pry carefully from the side nearest the door) there sat the stock bulbs. After a bit of struggle I had an idea how to remove those bastards super easily and I guarantee it won't scratch up your plastic console...

I peeled off about an inch of 2" wide painters tape, made a tiny tube that was about the diameter of the stock bulb, slid it over and yanked it right out. I had plenty of tape "tail" for me to pull the bulb out with ease.

And I was very happy.
Hi how's it going? Which side did you put the flat head screwdriver on? The bulbs don't even look like bulbs. Are the plastic covers and bulbs easy to break?
Old 08-28-2011, 08:24 PM   #14
808TUNDA is a name known to all808TUNDA is a name known to all808TUNDA is a name known to all808TUNDA is a name known to all808TUNDA is a name known to all808TUNDA is a name known to all
Name: D
808TUNDA's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanzigler View Post
Hi how's it going? Which side did you put the flat head screwdriver on? The bulbs don't even look like bulbs. Are the plastic covers and bulbs easy to break?

Insert the screwdriver from the sides facing the doors. So if you're sitting in your driver seat, insert the screwdriver on the left side of your left dome map, and right side on your right side dome map. There's a hinge on the inside of these lens so it's best to remove them this way. Putting them back on is just the reverse, insert hinge end first and just 'push' the other end back in till it clicks "on".
Old 09-26-2011, 05:21 PM   #15
payrow is on a distinguished road

Name: Pete
payrow's Tacoma Gallery
I swapped out my dome light for an LED unit, but I noticed that the LED does not turn completely off when it should. Anyone know what's going on???
Old 09-27-2011, 01:21 PM   #16
flyzeye designs is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyzeye designs is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyzeye designs is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyzeye designs is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyzeye designs is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyzeye designs is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyzeye designs is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyzeye designs is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyzeye designs is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyzeye designs is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyzeye designs is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: GM2 5"/54 Mount Captain, Small Arms Instructor, Ship's VBSS-Sweep Team Member & Lead Climber, Armory
Name: Darren
flyzeye designs's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by payrow View Post
I swapped out my dome light for an LED unit, but I noticed that the LED does not turn completely off when it should. Anyone know what's going on???
Sounds like Chris Angel is messing with you.
Old 09-27-2011, 01:26 PM   #17
Stop staring at me swan!
tacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
tacoman15's Tacoma Gallery
It might be a faulty connection or bad bulb. not 100% sure but that is what it sounds like
Old 10-22-2011, 01:24 AM   #18
Opihiman10 is on a distinguished road
Opihiman10's Tacoma Gallery
I found this vid.

thanks for the post...

http://youtu.be/SNxu2_p5NkQ
Old 07-29-2012, 03:19 PM   #19
Av8er is one of the sharper tools in the shedAv8er is one of the sharper tools in the shedAv8er is one of the sharper tools in the shedAv8er is one of the sharper tools in the shedAv8er is one of the sharper tools in the shedAv8er is one of the sharper tools in the shedAv8er is one of the sharper tools in the shedAv8er is one of the sharper tools in the shedAv8er is one of the sharper tools in the shedAv8er is one of the sharper tools in the shedAv8er is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Taylor
Av8er's Tacoma Gallery
Installed my new ones from LEDSolutions. Thanks to SalmonTaco's idea of using the painter's tape. Worked like a charm literally in seconds. I did the red dome and two white maps. Pic's under my profile and soon on my "build" link.

Old 09-26-2012, 03:33 PM   #20
WebRat is on a distinguished road

WebRat's Tacoma Gallery
Just did the license plate lights, dome light and map lights with cool white from superbrightleds, fast 2 day shipping.

2012 Tacoma Sport.

Dome Light 578 replaced with 4410-CW9 (9-LED) Festoon Bulb. Looks maybe a little brighter and it's a little big but fits and works just fine.

Map Lights 168 replaced with WLED-CW5 (5-LED) 194 Wedge Base. Again looks a little brighter. Thanks for the video and the idea about the painters tape, came right out and didn't need to pry on the back of it.

License Plate Lights 168 replaced with WLED-W-120 194 (Single LED) Wedge Base. With only one LED I don't think there is going to be any difference in brightness other than a more white light than yellowish.

Good post, thanks.