1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

PIAA Fog Lights

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by alexander323bc, Apr 1, 2011.

1. Apr 1, 2011 at 12:52 PM
    alexander323bc

alexander323bc [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Buffalo New York
    Vehicle:
    4cyl access cab
    I am getting ready to order Fog Lights. Everyone on this forum seems to be running HID's and for those of you using PIAA's I cant figure out if your using the 510's or the 540's. I have a new 4 cylinder without any Fogs. I am thinking about PIAA which ones fit the best in the bumper? if they fit about about the same which ones are brighter?

2. Apr 1, 2011 at 4:46 PM
    Ridingontrd

Ridingontrd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Laughlin,N.V
    Vehicle:
    trd sport 4x4 w/towpkg
    aFe prodry,Dynomax ultra flo ss,Scangauge2,Demello front bumper,BudBuilt skids,sliders(local)AllPro rear bumper,Wet O's cobalt blu,w/halfpiping,TRD logo in gold,R/L hood struts,5150's@10"aal 3 pack,T/C uca,Light racing c/o,1"diff.drop,de-badged,
  3. Apr 1, 2011 at 5:11 PM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    PIAA makes a kit specifically for the Tacoma that uses the 540's but they're a little too big for the opening and stick out a little. The 510's will fit in the stock holes but I'm not sure what it will require for bracketry to hold them in place. I don't think light output will be an issue regardless of which you choose, PIAA makes some good stuff. Choose the light pattern that best suits your needs (All-Terrain Pattern, Fog or Driving). If you go 510's, I was told the ATP would be a solid choice.

4. Apr 1, 2011 at 5:30 PM
    larryde09

larryde09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Larry
    Boston, MA
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Sport, White Double Cab "Yeti"
    Current: DR750S-2CH Dash Cam, USB Fast Charger in stock blank, Hondo Garage phone mount Previous: 2006 Black 2.7L 5-spd SR5 4x4 Access Cab - K&N Cold Air Intake, Modified Magnaflow Cat-back Exhaust, Altezza Tail Lights, Pop&Lock Tailgate Lock, Extang Trifecta Tonneau Cover, PIAA foglights with stock switch, DrawTite Hitch, OBX Shift Knob, Hood Protector, Vent Visors, DIY step bars, DIY Bed Lights, DIY Ground Lights, DIY Tailgate Electrical Box, Aftermarket switches in stock dash blanks, Sony Head Unit, Illuminated 4x4 switch mod
    I have 510 SMRs in the stock fog holes.

The PIAA site doesn't provide much info...what's the bracketry like for their Taco specific kit? They make it sound like you don't need a brush guard, but the picture shows them on a bull bar.

5. Apr 1, 2011 at 5:54 PM
    Pugga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    http://piaa.com/Lamps/Lamps-toyotatacoma.html
    It's not the lights on the bull bar, it's the ones in the fog light holes. Notice the size of the lamps, they don't recess nicely like stock fogs but put out a hell of a lot more light.
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/43153-piaa-fog-lights.html
    Here's a couple that used PIAA 510's in the stock fog light holes.
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/lighting/78937-piaa-light-kit-5454-tacoma-installed.html
    Here's the PIAA 540 Fog Light kit. Search for "5454" (PIAA's part number).

6. Apr 1, 2011 at 6:49 PM
    larryde09

Member:
    First Name:
    Larry
    Boston, MA
    Vehicle:
    Current: DR750S-2CH Dash Cam, USB Fast Charger in stock blank, Hondo Garage phone mount Previous: 2006 Black 2.7L 5-spd SR5 4x4 Access Cab - K&N Cold Air Intake, Modified Magnaflow Cat-back Exhaust, Altezza Tail Lights, Pop&Lock Tailgate Lock, Extang Trifecta Tonneau Cover, PIAA foglights with stock switch, DrawTite Hitch, OBX Shift Knob, Hood Protector, Vent Visors, DIY step bars, DIY Bed Lights, DIY Ground Lights, DIY Tailgate Electrical Box, Aftermarket switches in stock dash blanks, Sony Head Unit, Illuminated 4x4 switch mod
    Ah, ok...I was expecting to see the brush guards. I left the brush guards on mine, but obviously don't fit exactly right.

7. Apr 1, 2011 at 7:06 PM
    alexander323bc

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Buffalo New York
    Vehicle:
    4cyl access cab
    Thanks for the all info guys I really appreciate everything! After looking at both I think the 510 look better I just need to make sure I get the fog pattern cause I am pretty sure that's that I am looking for. Sometimes on Back roads my high-beams tend to point high leaving whats in front me kind of dark. So my plan is to mod the lights so I can have them on while my high beams are on.

8. Apr 1, 2011 at 7:30 PM
    Pugga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    I agree about the 510's, they look much better than the 'custom fit' 540's but I'd consider the all-terrain pattern instead of fog lights. I PM'd one of the members who had 510's in their fog light holes. He said the fog light pattern spreads too far wide and, because their recessed, actually get blocked because their recessed. The all terrain pattern is a mixture of distance and width and work well in the fog light holes.

Personally, I've got a set of PIAA 520's in the driving light pattern and compliment the high beams very well. The fog light pattern would compliment the low beams better since the light doesn't go out very far but is very wide spread. Point is, if you're looking for a light to go with the high beams, I'd consider either the all-terrain pattern or driving light pattern. Fog lights go better with low beams.

Just my $0.02, good luck with the decision, regardless of what you choose, PIAA's products are pretty awesome.

9. Apr 1, 2011 at 8:40 PM
    tacomunchkin

tacomunchkin Well-Known Member

Member:
    NM
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Offroad
    2010 4x4 Offroad TRD Crew cab 4.0 TRD Cat-Back exhaust CAI Avid offroad sliders and light bar PIAA 520 ATP lamps Leer bed shell
    Im running 520's with ATP on my truck, mounted higher than the fogs though. Mine are level with the headlights. They work really nice as brights. I can turn on my standard brights then hit my lamps and still see them overpowering the stock headlights.
    HID ones should probably do better since Im using halogens on mine, though if your running then in the fog light spot they wont cast as far.

[​IMG]

10. Apr 2, 2011 at 5:17 AM
    larryde09

Member:
    First Name:
    Larry
    Boston, MA
    Vehicle:
    Just anyone know if/how to modify a PIAA fog light to make it act like a driving light. Can I remove the reflective bulb cover or otherwise slightly modify the light or maybe install some HIDs....or is it dependent up on the shape of the parabolic reflective surface and/or the lens?

11. Apr 2, 2011 at 7:13 AM
    Pugga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    http://piaa.com/Lamps/Lamp-pages/520.html
    I'm not 100% sure, but based on their part numbers, it looks like the lens and the base lamps are different between fog and driving lights. They both use the same bulbs. If you want to switch from fog to driving lights, you're probably better off getting a new set altogether.

12. Apr 2, 2011 at 8:19 AM
    alexander323bc

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Buffalo New York
    Vehicle:
    4cyl access cab
    Pugga I am presuming ATP=All Terrain Pattern and your 520's are sitting in the fog light holes? or they located on the grill? Based on your info and I am thinking 510 ATP in the fog light holes would be the most logical for what I am looking for.

13. Apr 5, 2011 at 7:42 AM
    alexander323bc

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Buffalo New York
    Vehicle:
    4cyl access cab
    Anyone have any Tips on installing the PIAA 510 ATP kit?

Products Discussed in

To Top