LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

PIAA Fog Lights

Old 04-01-2011, 12:52 PM   #1
alexander323bc has much to be proud ofalexander323bc has much to be proud ofalexander323bc has much to be proud ofalexander323bc has much to be proud ofalexander323bc has much to be proud ofalexander323bc has much to be proud ofalexander323bc has much to be proud ofalexander323bc has much to be proud of
Name: Eric
alexander323bc's Tacoma Gallery
PIAA Fog Lights

I am getting ready to order Fog Lights. Everyone on this forum seems to be running HID's and for those of you using PIAA's I cant figure out if your using the 510's or the 540's. I have a new 4 cylinder without any Fogs. I am thinking about PIAA which ones fit the best in the bumper? if they fit about about the same which ones are brighter?
Old 04-01-2011, 05:11 PM   #3
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
PIAA makes a kit specifically for the Tacoma that uses the 540's but they're a little too big for the opening and stick out a little. The 510's will fit in the stock holes but I'm not sure what it will require for bracketry to hold them in place. I don't think light output will be an issue regardless of which you choose, PIAA makes some good stuff. Choose the light pattern that best suits your needs (All-Terrain Pattern, Fog or Driving). If you go 510's, I was told the ATP would be a solid choice.
Old 04-01-2011, 05:30 PM   #4
larryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Vet: C-17 Avionics Engineer; Electrical Research Engineer
Name: Larry
larryde09's Tacoma Gallery
I have 510 SMRs in the stock fog holes.

The PIAA site doesn't provide much info...what's the bracketry like for their Taco specific kit? They make it sound like you don't need a brush guard, but the picture shows them on a bull bar.
Old 04-01-2011, 05:54 PM   #5
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryde09 View Post
I have 510 SMRs in the stock fog holes.

The PIAA site doesn't provide much info...what's the bracketry like for their Taco specific kit? They make it sound like you don't need a brush guard, but the picture shows them on a bull bar.
http://piaa.com/Lamps/Lamps-toyotatacoma.html
It's not the lights on the bull bar, it's the ones in the fog light holes. Notice the size of the lamps, they don't recess nicely like stock fogs but put out a hell of a lot more light.
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...og-lights.html
Here's a couple that used PIAA 510's in the stock fog light holes.
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/lig...installed.html
Here's the PIAA 540 Fog Light kit. Search for "5454" (PIAA's part number).
Old 04-01-2011, 07:06 PM   #7
alexander323bc has much to be proud ofalexander323bc has much to be proud ofalexander323bc has much to be proud ofalexander323bc has much to be proud ofalexander323bc has much to be proud ofalexander323bc has much to be proud ofalexander323bc has much to be proud ofalexander323bc has much to be proud of
Thanks for the all info guys I really appreciate everything! After looking at both I think the 510 look better I just need to make sure I get the fog pattern cause I am pretty sure that's that I am looking for. Sometimes on Back roads my high-beams tend to point high leaving whats in front me kind of dark. So my plan is to mod the lights so I can have them on while my high beams are on.
Old 04-01-2011, 07:30 PM   #8

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexander323bc View Post
Thanks for the all info guys I really appreciate everything! After looking at both I think the 510 look better I just need to make sure I get the fog pattern cause I am pretty sure that's that I am looking for. Sometimes on Back roads my high-beams tend to point high leaving whats in front me kind of dark. So my plan is to mod the lights so I can have them on while my high beams are on.
I agree about the 510's, they look much better than the 'custom fit' 540's but I'd consider the all-terrain pattern instead of fog lights. I PM'd one of the members who had 510's in their fog light holes. He said the fog light pattern spreads too far wide and, because their recessed, actually get blocked because their recessed. The all terrain pattern is a mixture of distance and width and work well in the fog light holes.

Personally, I've got a set of PIAA 520's in the driving light pattern and compliment the high beams very well. The fog light pattern would compliment the low beams better since the light doesn't go out very far but is very wide spread. Point is, if you're looking for a light to go with the high beams, I'd consider either the all-terrain pattern or driving light pattern. Fog lights go better with low beams.

Just my $0.02, good luck with the decision, regardless of what you choose, PIAA's products are pretty awesome.
Old 04-01-2011, 08:40 PM   #9
tacomunchkin is on a distinguished road

Air Force: Flyboy
tacomunchkin's Tacoma Gallery
Im running 520's with ATP on my truck, mounted higher than the fogs though. Mine are level with the headlights. They work really nice as brights. I can turn on my standard brights then hit my lamps and still see them overpowering the stock headlights.
HID ones should probably do better since Im using halogens on mine, though if your running then in the fog light spot they wont cast as far.

Old 04-02-2011, 05:17 AM   #10
larryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Vet: C-17 Avionics Engineer; Electrical Research Engineer
Name: Larry
larryde09's Tacoma Gallery
Just anyone know if/how to modify a PIAA fog light to make it act like a driving light. Can I remove the reflective bulb cover or otherwise slightly modify the light or maybe install some HIDs....or is it dependent up on the shape of the parabolic reflective surface and/or the lens?
Old 04-02-2011, 07:13 AM   #11

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryde09 View Post
Just anyone know if/how to modify a PIAA fog light to make it act like a driving light. Can I remove the reflective bulb cover or otherwise slightly modify the light or maybe install some HIDs....or is it dependent up on the shape of the parabolic reflective surface and/or the lens?
http://piaa.com/Lamps/Lamp-pages/520.html
I'm not 100% sure, but based on their part numbers, it looks like the lens and the base lamps are different between fog and driving lights. They both use the same bulbs. If you want to switch from fog to driving lights, you're probably better off getting a new set altogether.
Old 04-02-2011, 08:19 AM   #12
Pugga I am presuming ATP=All Terrain Pattern and your 520's are sitting in the fog light holes? or they located on the grill? Based on your info and I am thinking 510 ATP in the fog light holes would be the most logical for what I am looking for.
Old 04-05-2011, 07:42 AM   #13
Anyone have any Tips on installing the PIAA 510 ATP kit?