Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

Help with White Night Backup Lights

Old 04-03-2011, 06:44 PM   #1
Nick54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick54 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: E5 Machinist Mate - USS Downes San Diego Cal.
Name: Nick
Nick54's Tacoma Gallery
Help with White Night Backup Lights

I purchased the White Night Backup light unit #4196 and the trailer wiring adapter unit # 4149. If I have this correct the center pin of the trailer socket is the backup light pin. With the 4149 adapter connected and its 3 wire plug connected to the White Night light and the truck running and in reverse the light does not come on. Should this pin power up when the truck is in reverse and is there a dedicated fuse or relay I should check?

http://www.whitenight.com/products.htm
Old 04-03-2011, 07:49 PM   #2
Lurker No More
caribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: CAG11 & VAW-117 AME2
caribe makaira's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick54 View Post
I purchased the White Night Backup light unit #4196 and the trailer wiring adapter unit # 4149. If I have this correct the center pin of the trailer socket is the backup light pin. With the 4149 adapter connected and its 3 wire plug connected to the White Night light and the truck running and in reverse the light does not come on. Should this pin power up when the truck is in reverse and is there a dedicated fuse or relay I should check?

http://www.whitenight.com/products.htm
Check lights at battery to see if they work.
IG1 fuse in cab powers lights among other circuits.
And yes, center is reverse.
Check power at harness also.(vehicle 7-pin and 4149 adapter)
Old 04-04-2011, 05:08 AM   #3
Nick54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick54 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Nick54's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribe makaira View Post
Check lights at battery to see if they work.
IG1 fuse in cab powers lights among other circuits.
And yes, center is reverse.
Check power at harness also.(vehicle 7-pin and 4149 adapter)
The light has a 3 position switch located on the back side, in position 1 the lights come on independant of any other conditions. Position 2 lights are always off, position 3 the lights should function when the vehicle is placed in reverse. The lights do in fact come on when the switch is in position 1 so I know the bulbs are good. I wiil be wringing out the center pin of the trailer connector tonight after work.
Old 04-04-2011, 05:53 PM   #5
pcool69 is on a distinguished road

pcool69's Tacoma Gallery
My 2010 had the same problem. Dealer found it was missing the back up light relay from the factory. Part number 90080-87026.

I think the relay is located under the dash.
Old 04-04-2011, 09:21 PM   #6
Lurker No More
caribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Please show this missing relay location...
'05~'09 do not have a relay for just the back-up/reverse lights.
They share juice from IG1 fuse in cab junction box.

10A IG1=

ABS (w/ VSC), TRAC, VSC, Auto LSD, Downhill Assist Control and
Hill–Start Assist Control
ABS (w/o VSC)
Accessory Meter
Air Conditioning
Back–Up Light
Charging
Combination Meter
Cruise Control (1GR–FE)
Cruise Control (2TR–FE)
Electronically Controlled Transmission and A/T Indicator (1GR–FE)
Electronically Controlled Transmission and A/T Indicator (2TR–FE)
Engine Control (1GR–FE)
Engine Control (2TR–FE)
Headlight
Multi Mode 4WD and Rear Differential Lock
Power Outlet (115V)
Rear Differential Lock (2WD)

Old 04-04-2011, 09:30 PM   #7
Lurker No More

Quote:
Well the center pin of the trailer connector located under the bumper is dead...
How didya check it?

Quote:
I check the (#8 fuse BKUP LP 10A) behind dash all appeared to be good. Anyone have any idea which fuse or relay activates the center pin?
Remove the fuse, look for color change, broken, melted. If visually "good" verify with tester or just replace with new if anything fishy/odd.

I'm wondering if you just have the 7-pin socket and the wires go to nowhere....
Old 04-04-2011, 09:36 PM   #8
pcool69 is on a distinguished road

pcool69's Tacoma Gallery
Unfortunately, I do not know exactly where the relay is located. The dealership took 3 hours to fix the problem (while I waited). By the time they were finished, I was mad and running late for another appointment.
Old 04-05-2011, 12:44 PM   #12
Lurker No More

Old 09-15-2011, 04:21 PM   #13

Nick54's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcool69 View Post
My 2010 had the same problem. Dealer found it was missing the back up light relay from the factory. Part number 90080-87026.

I think the relay is located under the dash.
The last post in this thread was April and I finally got around to getting this worked out. Come to find out after I eliminated every fuse and relay I could get my hands on, and wringing out wire runs that pcool69 had the answer. Brought it to the dealer and they found a relay missing behind the glove box. They installed it and vuala, reverse light power at center pin of tow socket.