Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

I need help from you electrical guru's...

Old 04-06-2011, 12:40 AM   #1
xrunner-performance.com
dak-rt-2a-XR is a splendid one to beholddak-rt-2a-XR is a splendid one to beholddak-rt-2a-XR is a splendid one to beholddak-rt-2a-XR is a splendid one to beholddak-rt-2a-XR is a splendid one to beholddak-rt-2a-XR is a splendid one to beholddak-rt-2a-XR is a splendid one to behold

Army: Ranger Medic, 3rd Rangers, 75th INF (Medically Retired)
Name: Brad
dak-rt-2a-XR's Tacoma Gallery
I need help from you electrical guru's...

I know it is not a Tacoma, but I am having a problem with the SRT8.

No one apparently either knows or cares about the fog light mod. I LOVE this relay because I could leave them on with brights, and I also used them as daytime running lights.

One guy claims this can only be done by having the dealership flash the ECU to a different country of destination (to a country that does not have specifications that fogs cannot be on with highs). That not only sounds weird, but most likely expensive if they would even do it.

The SRT8 has two fuse module/relay boxes, one under the hood and one under the trunk. I was wondering if any of you who understand wiring diagrams and know how the Toyota fog light relay worked could give these a look-over and see if you can see a comparable way to do the same thing.

The headlight switch looks like the attachment.

The wiring diagrams are in this thread and includes pics and what each place does

http://www.lxforums.com/board/showthread.php?t=19755

If you do not know what your doing or just "taking a guess," please do not bother, I do not wish to start blowing relays during some experimental process...

$10 reward via pay pal who successfully figures it out...would be freaking sweet to be running 55w 6K lows, highs, and fogs all at once, I could see forever in front of me lol
Attached Thumbnails
I need help from you electrical guru's...-fog-light-switch.jpg  
Old 04-06-2011, 12:51 AM   #2
Locked and Lifted "02" DC TRD.
Matic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Matic's Tacoma Gallery
Why don't you save yourself a lot of trouble and headache and just wire it to a separate fuse and switch?
Old 04-06-2011, 05:06 AM   #3
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
The ECU thing sounds like a hoax. I doubt the ECU controls the fog lights but there's a simple way to figure it out. Trace the wire from the back of the fog switch. I would put money on it being wired similar to our Tacomas, hard wired, fused and relayed so they can't come on with the high beams or unless the lights are on. Find that relay and swap a wire out and you're good to go.

Or use Matic's approach and rewire it yourself using a simple relay and the stock switch. It'll cost you a couple $ in wire and a simple relay that you can find at any auto parts store.
Old 04-06-2011, 06:13 AM   #4
xrunner-performance.com
dak-rt-2a-XR is a splendid one to beholddak-rt-2a-XR is a splendid one to beholddak-rt-2a-XR is a splendid one to beholddak-rt-2a-XR is a splendid one to beholddak-rt-2a-XR is a splendid one to beholddak-rt-2a-XR is a splendid one to beholddak-rt-2a-XR is a splendid one to behold

you guys are talking to someone who doesn't know a lot about wiring LOL

So pull the switch, trace the fog light to its relay, pull the wire, and put it in a separate relay of its own? Looking at the diagram I thought the fogs had it owns relay already?
Old 04-06-2011, 06:52 AM   #5
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dak-rt-2a-XR View Post
you guys are talking to someone who doesn't know a lot about wiring LOL

So pull the switch, trace the fog light to its relay, pull the wire, and put it in a separate relay of its own? Looking at the diagram I thought the fogs had it owns relay already?
The fogs do have a relay of their own which is what prevent them from being turned on unless the low beams are on. Once you locate this relay, you can change the 'switch' power to something that is on whenever the ignition is on.

Relays work as sort of an 'if-then' switch for circuits. For example, in order for the fog lights to work, the dash switch has to be on and there has to be power running through the low beam wire. There's a wire tap coming from the low beam power circuit that trips the relay allowing the fogs to come on. When that low beam circuit dies (either you turn off your lights or switch to high beams), the relay is switched off and your fogs turn off regardless of the switch position on the dash. What you need to do is change the configuration so the relay gets constant power from a trip wire that is hot whenever the ignition is on. This allows the fog lights to be on whenever the car is 'on' and the fog light switch on the dash is on.
This below should help:
http://www.the12volt.com/relays/relays.asp
Old 04-06-2011, 07:19 AM   #6
xrunner-performance.com

Ok if I do this, would I need to put in a new switch for the fogs or would it still work from the OEM switch?
Old 04-06-2011, 01:20 PM   #7
Lurker No More
caribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: CAG11 & VAW-117 AME2
caribe makaira's Tacoma Gallery
Without the wiring schematics you are "blind". Just showing relay & fuse location is not enough.
If the fog switch at the dash goes to ground to activate the relay you have a fairly easy possibilty. The issue is , like in the Tacoma, where does the relay get its juice to activate the coil in the relay. Bypass that without throwing a code or "short" and your almost done. Get a pic of that switch from the rear...(to be continued...)
Old 04-06-2011, 01:29 PM   #8
bizjettech is a splendid one to beholdbizjettech is a splendid one to beholdbizjettech is a splendid one to beholdbizjettech is a splendid one to beholdbizjettech is a splendid one to beholdbizjettech is a splendid one to beholdbizjettech is a splendid one to behold

bizjettech's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribe makaira View Post
Without the wiring schematics you are "blind". Just showing relay & fuse location is not enough.
If the fog switch at the dash goes to ground to activate the relay you have a fairly easy possibilty. The issue is , like in the Tacoma, where does the relay get its juice to activate the coil in the relay. Bypass that without throwing a code or "short" and your almost done. Get a pic of that switch from the rear...(to be continued...)
Its easy to figure out what is X1 and what is X2 (power and ground) of the control circuit of a relay using a MM. Sometimes the relays are marked X1 and X2 - this is what controls the relay. Automotive circuits are fairly simple overall.
Old 04-06-2011, 01:36 PM   #9
bizjettech is a splendid one to beholdbizjettech is a splendid one to beholdbizjettech is a splendid one to beholdbizjettech is a splendid one to beholdbizjettech is a splendid one to beholdbizjettech is a splendid one to beholdbizjettech is a splendid one to behold

bizjettech's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizjettech View Post
Its easy to figure out what is X1 and what is X2 (power and ground) of the control circuit of a relay using a MM. Sometimes the relays are marked X1 and X2 - this is what controls the relay. Automotive circuits are fairly simple overall.
Sorry guys.....just re-read my last post. I do not mean to insult anyone. There are a lot of talented people here. Lots of good info and input from all! Just dont be scared away by wiring issues, it is pretty easy once you learn the basics, it will come to you the more you experiment with it.
Old 04-06-2011, 02:16 PM   #10
Lurker No More
caribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: CAG11 & VAW-117 AME2
caribe makaira's Tacoma Gallery
...continuation...After downloading the 2005 LX manual from your link, I've concluded that you can bend pin 85 from the fog relay and mate a connector to a 16 awg to a on-off switch in the cab. You'll loose the use of OEM one. The OEM switch is connected to CAN BUS, which does many things, among them shut off the fogs if HIGH beams are selected.
Not a nice, thight solution, but...
Old 04-06-2011, 08:30 PM   #11
xrunner-performance.com

Yeah that is what my research lead me to find, I'm not the only one who had thought about this. Apparently the fogs are hardwired to brights and the trigger is there. In order to rewire I'd have to take apart steering colum and trace the wires out, which is way to much work! I'm going to attemp to go to dealer and see what they say about flashing my computer to tell it the car has no fogs (which apparently would bypass the relay and make fogs work only when I activate them)

Thanks for your help!