Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

How can I change which lights are DTRL's?

Old 04-12-2011, 09:44 AM   #1
This is where I write something clever
chris duby is a glorious beacon of lightchris duby is a glorious beacon of lightchris duby is a glorious beacon of lightchris duby is a glorious beacon of lightchris duby is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Chris
chris duby's Tacoma Gallery
How can I change which lights are DTRL's?

I had just purchased and installed a set of halo projector headlights with HID's. My 09 Tacoma came with DTRL's (Daytime Running Lights) stock and now, with the new headlights, I don't like the look of it durring daylight hours.

I have been doing a little research and found that the green wire running the my DTRL's is the "jumper wire". If I cut this wire will my blinkers still work? And can I re-route it to some LED's that came in the headlight housing to have them work as my DTRL's?

Here is a picture explaining what I'm talking about.

Old 04-12-2011, 09:55 AM   #2
CopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Maximum Security Correctional Officer
Name: Matt
CopDoctor's Tacoma Gallery
blinkers will not work if you cut that green wire..i'm still thinking about how you could make it work..you can re-route the hot wire to the LEDs, but then they'd be your blinkers and that would be ridiculous looking
Old 04-12-2011, 10:01 AM   #3
CopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shed

nevermind yours is probably setup differently than mine..do you have 3 wires going to your current dtrl or 2?
Old 04-12-2011, 10:07 AM   #5

i have jerry-rigged dtrl..so originally i had two wires (red and white) going to the blinker and the third green that i added. the green turned the blinker into the dtrl. if you have three wires, i imagine you would just take that out (wouldn't cut it just yet) and re-route to the leds like you first said.
Old 04-12-2011, 06:03 PM   #8
Lurker No More
caribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: CAG11 & VAW-117 AME2
caribe makaira's Tacoma Gallery
I can say that it's possible to have a swap but the trade off is; when you select turn signal both will blink.
Do you want that?
If so, you'll be using additional wire (L & R) and connectors. No cutting originals. Remove/swap signal (DRTL) to LED's.
Route two new wires from cab to headlights, use OEM loom to hide/protect these new wires.
Crimp with seal new female 280 GM/Metri pack connector for each new turn signal wire.

At the cab, in the plug coming from the blinker relay you will insert a new male 280 GM/Metri Pack connector crimp to the new wire added. (x2)

The slots at the plug are the ones next to the turn signal wires.
Old 04-18-2011, 11:12 AM   #10
Lurker No More
caribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: CAG11 & VAW-117 AME2
caribe makaira's Tacoma Gallery
$36.00 for color changing led's...yikes
Old 04-28-2011, 06:13 PM   #11
Tacokevin will become famous soon enough
Name: Kevin
Tacokevin's Tacoma Gallery
Did the switchback bulbs work? Or only the amber still?