1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

OEM fog light wiring to aftermarket light assembly

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by appstate, Apr 12, 2011.

1. Apr 12, 2011 at 12:19 PM
    appstate

appstate [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off-Road Double-Cab
    ARB Bull Bar, Warn Winch
    Hello! I have a 2010 Toyota Tacoma and it had stock fog lights. I recently added an ARB bull bar and I want to be sure I'm doing the wiring correctly.

[​IMG]
    This is the OEM fog light wiring. It has two wires going into that connector. One is green and the other is white/black. Green is negative/ground, right?

[​IMG]
    This is the connections on the ARB fog light assembly. I know that white is positive and black is negative. I'm not sure why only the black wire has the clear seal on the end...

My question is: what is the best way to connect my OEM fog light wiring to my ARB fog lights?

Thank you! :)

Mike

2. Apr 12, 2011 at 5:07 PM
    larryde09

larryde09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Larry
    Boston, MA
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Sport, White Double Cab "Yeti"
    Current: DR750S-2CH Dash Cam, USB Fast Charger in stock blank, Hondo Garage phone mount Previous: 2006 Black 2.7L 5-spd SR5 4x4 Access Cab - K&N Cold Air Intake, Modified Magnaflow Cat-back Exhaust, Altezza Tail Lights, Pop&Lock Tailgate Lock, Extang Trifecta Tonneau Cover, PIAA foglights with stock switch, DrawTite Hitch, OBX Shift Knob, Hood Protector, Vent Visors, DIY step bars, DIY Bed Lights, DIY Ground Lights, DIY Tailgate Electrical Box, Aftermarket switches in stock dash blanks, Sony Head Unit, Illuminated 4x4 switch mod
    Use a relay and tap the stock fog light power wire for the aftermarket light's relay control connection.

The main reason one side is covered in insulation is to prevent a dead short between the white and black wire. However, I would have expected both, or at least the white wire, to be protected. Assuming it is the power wire, it is the one you want to protect from shorting to ground. I'd suspect that there was insulation there but fell off in the packaging...I'd put some shrink wrap over it!

3. May 28, 2022 at 2:56 PM
    GoodTalk

GoodTalk Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Spencer
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma Pro
    Did you ever get an answer for this? I’m tried wiring up some BAJA Designs to the factory harness and it will not power them.

Products Discussed in

To Top