Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

2010 Tacoma Morimoto Mini D2S Retrofit

Old 04-16-2011, 12:05 PM   #1
blawrie will become famous soon enoughblawrie will become famous soon enough
blawrie's Tacoma Gallery
2010 Tacoma Morimoto Mini D2S Retrofit

Friday afternoon I got started on my Morimoto Mini D2S retrofit. I ordered the Mini D2S Stage III Kit from Matt @ TRS back at the end of February. Here is what I ordered: Mini D2S Projectors, Morimoto 3Five Ballasts, Apollo Shrouds and Osram 66240 Bulbs. First things first I removed the headlights off of my truck and proceeded to install the H4 wiring harness and Morimoto Ballasts. The overall appearance I was going for was an OEM look to everything. I mounted the relay in a position that seemed like it would be the most protected and out of the way. I also decided to mount my ballasts off the side of my radiator supports. I have never seen anyone else do it like this, I think it looks better and is more supported then using velcro to attach the ballast to the side of the headlight itself.

Once the headlights were off the truck I baked one at a time at 300F for 10mins and they came apart easily enough. Mounting the projectors was very simple, everyone knows if you have an H4 headlight these projectors are plug and play, which they were. Once I installed both projectors I took them out to my truck for a quick test fire and sure enough they started up no problem. The Osram bulbs fire up a brilliant bluish-white and turn to the 4300K color in about 15 seconds. I can't wait until they colorshift a bit as brand new they are a bit on the yellowish side.

Once I knew everything was ok it was time to seal the headlights back up. I placed my lens on my headlight and put them back in the oven to heat up the butyl. Once they were warm enough I used my hands and spring clamps to get them back together. Then it was time to reinstall all the plastic pieces from the headlight and get them back on the truck.

All I have left to do now is wait for nightfall so I can properly aim the projectors and take some nighttime beam shots. Overall this was a very easy retrofit, I took my time doing everything and I think it came out perfect. I believe it looks very OEM which was exactly what I was going for. I would like to thank Matt @ TRS once again for all his help over the past few months getting me exactly what I wanted. If anyone has any questions regarding anything please feel free to ask...thanks...now on to the pics...
Attached Thumbnails
2010 Tacoma Morimoto Mini D2S Retrofit-all-parts.jpg   2010 Tacoma Morimoto Mini D2S Retrofit-osram-bulbs.jpg   2010 Tacoma Morimoto Mini D2S Retrofit-front-truck-no-lights-.jpg   2010 Tacoma Morimoto Mini D2S Retrofit-headlights-before.jpg   2010 Tacoma Morimoto Mini D2S Retrofit-relay.jpg  

2010 Tacoma Morimoto Mini D2S Retrofit-ls-ballast.jpg   2010 Tacoma Morimoto Mini D2S Retrofit-rs-ballast.jpg   2010 Tacoma Morimoto Mini D2S Retrofit-projector-headlight-1.jpg   2010 Tacoma Morimoto Mini D2S Retrofit-projector-shroud.jpg   2010 Tacoma Morimoto Mini D2S Retrofit-headlight-after.jpg  

2010 Tacoma Morimoto Mini D2S Retrofit-headlights-after.jpg   2010 Tacoma Morimoto Mini D2S Retrofit-dust-cover.jpg   2010 Tacoma Morimoto Mini D2S Retrofit-driver-headlight.jpg   2010 Tacoma Morimoto Mini D2S Retrofit-passenger-headlight.jpg   2010 Tacoma Morimoto Mini D2S Retrofit-front-after.jpg  

2010 Tacoma Morimoto Mini D2S Retrofit-shroud-close-up.jpg  
Old 04-16-2011, 12:11 PM   #2
Dafuq
Who Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ricky
Who Dat Popcorn's Tacoma Gallery
Looks awesome!

Do the projectors fit in with no work required?
Old 04-16-2011, 12:14 PM   #3
ppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Phuong
ppham444's Tacoma Gallery
Wow, looks real nice! Good job.
Old 04-16-2011, 01:04 PM   #6
blawrie's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who Dat Popcorn View Post
Looks awesome!

Do the projectors fit in with no work required?
Yep, you simply remove the stock H4 bulb shield and the Mini's slide right in and clamp down from the other side.
Old 04-17-2011, 08:53 AM   #7
MGMGRAND is a splendid one to beholdMGMGRAND is a splendid one to beholdMGMGRAND is a splendid one to beholdMGMGRAND is a splendid one to beholdMGMGRAND is a splendid one to beholdMGMGRAND is a splendid one to behold
MGMGRAND's Tacoma Gallery
Nice. I just got the same setup from the group buy. I have seen a lot of retros and like the look of your smoked oem lights the best. I just don't want to ruin my stock lights b/c the smoked ones are so rare. Did you have to do anything to your lights that would keep you from putting them back to stock?

*I know you said above no work required but I just want to be sure.
Old 04-17-2011, 09:10 AM   #8
blawrie's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGMGRAND View Post
Nice. I just got the same setup from the group buy. I have seen a lot of retros and like the look of your smoked oem lights the best. I just don't want to ruin my stock lights b/c the smoked ones are so rare. Did you have to do anything to your lights that would keep you from putting them back to stock?

*I know you said above no work required but I just want to be sure.
Hey man, I agree I didn't want to mess with my oem smoked headlights because I prefer the look of them and I wanted to keep my retrofit as oem looking as possible. Everyone has their own preference as to what look they are going for. But I could easily change these lights back to stock. All I would do is open the lights up again, remove the D2S projectors and reinstall the stock H4 bulb shield and Im done. The only thing I had to do was trim the black dust cover in order to clear the D2S bulb adapter, so I would require new dust covers but thats not big deal. Hope that helps ya out.
Old 04-17-2011, 09:15 AM   #9
Poot Klopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedPoot Klopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedPoot Klopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedPoot Klopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedPoot Klopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedPoot Klopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedPoot Klopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedPoot Klopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedPoot Klopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedPoot Klopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedPoot Klopp is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ben
Poot Klopp's Tacoma Gallery
yes just got the same set up as you, I am very glad it was this easy to install. Can not wait... hey where are the night shots!?!?
Old 04-17-2011, 09:20 AM   #10
blawrie's Tacoma Gallery
There coming...when I put them back on the truck the projectors were aimed waayy low like 20ft infront of my truck..haha..I still have to adjust them to exactly where I want them but man its hard to find a nice level surface with a flat wall with no other cars around...lol...but as soon as I get them aimed Ill take some shots. One thing I was surprised with which I wasn't expecting was the color at the cutoff, every picture I have ever seen of the minis looked to lack color. I don't know if its the Osram bulbs but my color has the perfect amount of blue and purple to it. Anyway Im going to try and get them aimed properly tonight or tomorrow then Ill take some pics and post em up.
Old 04-17-2011, 09:24 AM   #12
jblaze805 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjblaze805 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjblaze805 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjblaze805 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjblaze805 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjblaze805 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjblaze805 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjblaze805 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjblaze805 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjblaze805 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjblaze805 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: SGT United States Marine Corps
jblaze805's Tacoma Gallery
sub'ed for some night shots. i wonder whats the difference with the phillips vs. the osram...good stuff op cant wait to do mine also got in on the GB
Old 04-17-2011, 09:33 AM   #13
blawrie's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jblaze805 View Post
sub'ed for some night shots. i wonder whats the difference with the phillips vs. the osram...good stuff op cant wait to do mine also got in on the GB
According to Matt @ TRS the Philips will not colorshift and will remain at 4300K whereas the Osrams should start to colorshift to around 4800K after a couple months use. I knew I wanted to use an OEM bulb and the Osrams seemed to fit the bill perfectly. Ill try to get on those night shots tonight Im hoping my camera picks up the color at the cutoff ok because its definitely nice to look at. Anyways I'll keep ya updated because I hate when other people say they'll post pics and they never do. I hold my word just give me a day or two to aim them and snap some shots.
Old 04-17-2011, 09:35 AM   #14
jblaze805 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjblaze805 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjblaze805 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjblaze805 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjblaze805 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjblaze805 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjblaze805 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjblaze805 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjblaze805 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjblaze805 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjblaze805 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

good info thanks op...
Old 04-18-2011, 06:20 AM   #15
MGMGRAND is a splendid one to beholdMGMGRAND is a splendid one to beholdMGMGRAND is a splendid one to beholdMGMGRAND is a splendid one to beholdMGMGRAND is a splendid one to beholdMGMGRAND is a splendid one to behold
MGMGRAND's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the info...mine shipped out today
Old 04-18-2011, 11:28 AM   #16
krans has much to be proud ofkrans has much to be proud ofkrans has much to be proud ofkrans has much to be proud ofkrans has much to be proud ofkrans has much to be proud ofkrans has much to be proud ofkrans has much to be proud of

Name: Kenny
krans's Tacoma Gallery
Very nice! i though there was more to retro fitting projectors, like drilling into the reflector bowl to hold down the actually projector but i guess not. Very clean install!

This might be a dumb question but what are the red and black wires sticking out for?
How does the shrouds stay on? twist on or clip on?
Old 04-18-2011, 11:36 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by krans View Post
Very nice! i though there was more to retro fitting projectors, like drilling into the reflector bowl to hold down the actually projector but i guess not. Very clean install!

This might be a dumb question but what are the red and black wires sticking out for?
How does the shrouds stay on? twist on or clip on?
from what others have told me epoxied on.....and X2 on the red/blk wires
Old 04-18-2011, 11:41 AM   #18
Vivid Illumination
memario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colton
memario1214's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jblaze805 View Post
.....and X2 on the red/blk wires
Leads for Halos maybe???
Old 04-18-2011, 12:03 PM   #19
Muy Grande is one of the sharper tools in the shedMuy Grande is one of the sharper tools in the shedMuy Grande is one of the sharper tools in the shedMuy Grande is one of the sharper tools in the shedMuy Grande is one of the sharper tools in the shedMuy Grande is one of the sharper tools in the shedMuy Grande is one of the sharper tools in the shedMuy Grande is one of the sharper tools in the shedMuy Grande is one of the sharper tools in the shedMuy Grande is one of the sharper tools in the shedMuy Grande is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
Muy Grande's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by memario1214 View Post
Leads for Halos maybe???
No, they are for Hi/Lo beam. The projector is motorized.