Notices

DDM vs Morimoto

View Poll Results: Which should I choose
DDM 23 19.83%
Morimoto 80 68.97%
Spend more and go with something else 13 11.21%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-21-2011, 07:45 AM   #1
is_it_the_shoes is a jewel in the roughis_it_the_shoes is a jewel in the roughis_it_the_shoes is a jewel in the roughis_it_the_shoes is a jewel in the rough

is_it_the_shoes's Tacoma Gallery
DDM vs Morimoto

Not sure which set I want to go with. I know the DDM has the 'life-time warranty' , but I have read mixed reviews on here about them. I know people are running other stuff, but figured I would focus on these two since they seem to be the choice budget options.

I was thinking about putting some HIDs in the Highs, but may hold off on that and put them in the lows (projector lense). Also holding off on doing them in the Fogs, because eventually I would like to switch out my front bumper all together.

Anywho, just wanted to get everyone's two cents
Old 04-21-2011, 07:52 AM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
DDM has a great warranty, but good luck getting them to honor it.
Old 04-21-2011, 01:22 PM   #3
TastyTaco will become famous soon enoughTastyTaco will become famous soon enough
Name: Nick
TastyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
If you are just going to plug and play into the factory headlight (which I do not recomend) I would just buy any hid kit from ebay (shipped for about 25 bucks). I have a ebay kit in my yfz450r and I have not had any problems in over a year now.

Now if you are doing a reto I like the Morimoto
Old 04-21-2011, 02:14 PM   #4
is_it_the_shoes is a jewel in the roughis_it_the_shoes is a jewel in the roughis_it_the_shoes is a jewel in the roughis_it_the_shoes is a jewel in the rough

Sold the factory headlights and put these in a while back becauseI like the Halo/LED look

http://www.tunersdepot.com/Lighting/...coma-9378.html
Old 04-21-2011, 02:20 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpack_5150 View Post
300 bux?

When I purchased them I got them for less because I was able to find a coupon online. I sold my stock ones on Ebay and pretty much covered the costs of these. If I remember correctly, it was like 40 bux out of pocket. Probably not the popular thing to do, but the look I was going for
Old 04-21-2011, 02:23 PM   #6

I have had them for at least 8 months and no problems at all, no moisture or anything like that.
Old 04-21-2011, 07:32 PM   #7
Chris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Chris
Chris(NJ)'s Tacoma Gallery
Dude, the morimoto retro is so easy, its a no brainer. go retro.
Old 04-27-2011, 07:23 PM   #8
Hope you can run faster than 965 FPS
TonkaToyTaco has much to be proud ofTonkaToyTaco has much to be proud ofTonkaToyTaco has much to be proud ofTonkaToyTaco has much to be proud ofTonkaToyTaco has much to be proud ofTonkaToyTaco has much to be proud ofTonkaToyTaco has much to be proud ofTonkaToyTaco has much to be proud ofTonkaToyTaco has much to be proud ofTonkaToyTaco has much to be proud of

Law Enforcement: Sharpshooter
Name: Louie
TonkaToyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I went with the high/low set from DDM and honestly I am not 100% satisfied with them. I am running into problems turning them on with my truck running. If my truck is off the work great but if its running and I try to turn them on it takes a few trys to do so. And they arent very helpful over the phone they told me to look on forums for the answer.
Old 04-27-2011, 07:30 PM   #9
pudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
pudge151's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
DDM has a great warranty, but good luck getting them to honor it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alberta_taco View Post
This ^^^^ is why i have used sharphid.com...... great service!

im with you alberta taco. i ordered from sharp last weekend
Old 04-27-2011, 11:46 PM   #10
supremetaco2 is a glorious beacon of lightsupremetaco2 is a glorious beacon of lightsupremetaco2 is a glorious beacon of lightsupremetaco2 is a glorious beacon of lightsupremetaco2 is a glorious beacon of light
supremetaco2's Tacoma Gallery
im running morimotos and i like them better than ddm
Old 05-09-2011, 12:05 PM   #11

Thanks for all the input fellas !! I think I am going to pull the trigger with the Morimotos next payday (about a week from Friday )

For the extra 5 bucks, I was going to go with the 50w. Was wondering everyones thoughts and opinions on which i should go with on the temps:

4300k or 5000k ??
Old 05-09-2011, 10:29 PM   #12
Caduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: I be a doctor
Caduceus's Tacoma Gallery
4300 tends to be more popular for the supposed better color rendition, but I'm not sure it's much difference. 5000K is similar to the "white" you get from LED flashlights.

50W is fine, but you realize that's brighter than stock HIDs? Depending on state law and inspection procedures, you might get nailed for being too bright. Just a though.
Old 05-11-2011, 08:28 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caduceus View Post
4300 tends to be more popular for the supposed better color rendition, but I'm not sure it's much difference. 5000K is similar to the "white" you get from LED flashlights.

50W is fine, but you realize that's brighter than stock HIDs? Depending on state law and inspection procedures, you might get nailed for being too bright. Just a though.

Living in Florida, we no longer have inspections. As long as I aim them right, I should be good. Have plans to try and move out West though, so I might run into trouble down the road
Old 05-11-2011, 08:32 AM   #14
tommelleo22 has a spectacular aura abouttommelleo22 has a spectacular aura abouttommelleo22 has a spectacular aura about

Name: Joe
tommelleo22's Tacoma Gallery
don't go with ddm. i bashed my friends for buying more expensive kits because i thought ddm was the best but i'm now coming to my senses. they sent me raptor kits with no instructions even though i didn't need them that's still on the cheap side and in horrible packaging. my 5000k's were installed perfectly on my 07 double cab and i couldn't get my highs to stay on yesterday i think the ballast is messed up, then to top it off both of my buddies with f150's had to send their slim kits back because they kept crapping out while night driving and now they're not selling the slim kits again so they're both out of 70$+... i would go retrosolutions they are priced somewhat high but they are great my buddy has delt with them with warranty matters and they are excellent.
Old 04-01-2012, 07:35 AM   #16
kogary is on a distinguished road
kogary's Tacoma Gallery
FWIW, I love my Morimoto retro setup. The light output is very crisp (nice cutoff) and very bright, even with the 35W setup.
Old 04-01-2012, 03:53 PM   #17
Facial bones colapse as I crack your skull in half
WTtoolman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWTtoolman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWTtoolman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWTtoolman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWTtoolman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWTtoolman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWTtoolman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWTtoolman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWTtoolman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWTtoolman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWTtoolman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: William
WTtoolman's Tacoma Gallery
For those that have the morimotos, where did you purchase them and how much?? Also, the sharphid.com site doesn't work anymore. Can anybody recommend a site to purchase the DDM lights?
Old 04-06-2012, 09:20 AM   #18
Texas Taco
Oury is one of the sharper tools in the shedOury is one of the sharper tools in the shedOury is one of the sharper tools in the shedOury is one of the sharper tools in the shedOury is one of the sharper tools in the shedOury is one of the sharper tools in the shedOury is one of the sharper tools in the shedOury is one of the sharper tools in the shedOury is one of the sharper tools in the shedOury is one of the sharper tools in the shedOury is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oury
Oury's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTtoolman View Post
For those that have the morimotos, where did you purchase them and how much?? Also, the sharphid.com site doesn't work anymore. Can anybody recommend a site to purchase the DDM lights?
www.theretrofitsource.com - Morimotos

you can get in on a group buy to make your purchase cheaper, that's what I did. Cost me $284 with free shipping. I am also doing the retrofit myself too save money, plus it's a fun project too learn to help others in your area.
Old 04-06-2012, 09:24 AM   #19
ROLL TIDE!!!!!!!
Bama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Bama_TACO's Tacoma Gallery
The Retrofit Source is the place to get Morimoto ballasts and bulbs. Matt is hard to beat when it comes to customer service. You won't regret getting the Morimoto Ballasts I have a pair of the 50 watt ballasts on my fogs currently and had the 35 watt ballasts on my previous Tacoma with the retrofit. They are good ballasts.
Old 09-18-2012, 01:01 PM   #20
Do. Or do not. There is no try. -Master Yoda
adio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 740TH Combat Support Company
adio's Tacoma Gallery
never ran HID's on my truck ever, and never done a retrofit before. read a lot of threads regarding retrofits both here and HIDPlanet. and made my decision to go with it. ordered my kit off of TRS (D2S). took a couple days to do it, remember take your time, you'll run to a few problems but there's always TRS help line and TW community. I myself ran to a few problems but it's wasn't anything that I couldn't figure out. the outcome is great light out put. get your money's worth bro.

here's my D2S light out put. I think it's the most basic install kit from TRS that you can get. none of that HID blinding crap.