Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

High output Alternator?

Old 04-23-2011, 11:45 PM   #1
Dr. Frankenstein
Blackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Monte
Blackdawg's Tacoma Gallery
High output Alternator?

Hey i wasn't totally sure where to put this so figured this would be close.

I will have 6 HID off road lights, my head lights and some rear lights plus undercarriage lights AND my power hungry stereo system.

I am planning on doing a dual battery setup as my stereo alone is already eating batteries alive. Gone through 2 in a less the 2 years... :-/

So, with two batteries, one under the hood for the trucks functions and one larger one for lights and stereo, i need a big ole alternator.

Any recommendations??

Thanks!
Old 04-23-2011, 11:52 PM   #2
You think I was rollin out here naked?
ToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: MA
ToucanV13's Tacoma Gallery
Green Machine
Old 04-23-2011, 11:55 PM   #3
MASTER CHIEF
STR8_BEAST is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTR8_BEAST is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTR8_BEAST is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTR8_BEAST is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTR8_BEAST is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTR8_BEAST is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTR8_BEAST is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTR8_BEAST is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTR8_BEAST is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTR8_BEAST is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTR8_BEAST is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Collin
STR8_BEAST's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToucanV13 View Post
Green Machine
X2 jhodge83 got one, ask him about it
Old 11-03-2013, 08:57 PM   #5
manethon has a brilliant futuremanethon has a brilliant futuremanethon has a brilliant futuremanethon has a brilliant futuremanethon has a brilliant futuremanethon has a brilliant futuremanethon has a brilliant futuremanethon has a brilliant futuremanethon has a brilliant futuremanethon has a brilliant futuremanethon has a brilliant future
manethon's Tacoma Gallery
not sure if you got ur alt yet but im looking at putting something together for ALTs and
proper battery relocation kits and big3 kits with added winch cables.
Old 11-03-2013, 09:04 PM   #7
          
skygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shed

skygear's Tacoma Gallery
I deleted all my links in this thread! Can a MOD undelete them please? and i will re edit them,!

Still want that ~400amp alt I mentioned before .
Old 11-07-2013, 08:24 AM   #8
manethon has a brilliant futuremanethon has a brilliant futuremanethon has a brilliant futuremanethon has a brilliant futuremanethon has a brilliant futuremanethon has a brilliant futuremanethon has a brilliant futuremanethon has a brilliant futuremanethon has a brilliant futuremanethon has a brilliant futuremanethon has a brilliant future
manethon's Tacoma Gallery
I made a post regarding high output alternators and group buy feeler.
Old 11-07-2013, 10:05 PM   #9
          
skygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shed

skygear's Tacoma Gallery
Where?
Old 11-07-2013, 10:08 PM   #10
          

skygear's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.mechman.com/index.php/pro...e-series.html#

I like the look of this one

http://www.qualitypowerauto.com/catalog.php?item=467
Old 11-07-2013, 10:12 PM   #12
          

skygear's Tacoma Gallery
Those are 200 amp - Vs the one I posted up to 320 amp. any specific reason on the mean green choice? For a few dollars more you get 120 additional amps/.
Old 11-07-2013, 10:16 PM   #13
Vaginas are rad.
Boone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
Boone's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by skygear View Post
Those are 200 amp - Vs the one I posted up to 320 amp. any specific reason on the mean green choice? For a few dollars more you get 120 additional amps/.
I've run a mean in the Jeep for years, albeit without a stereo, it has always kept me in plenty of power on long full pull runs and never let me down. Shameless promotion for a good product I guess.
Old 11-07-2013, 10:20 PM   #14
          

skygear's Tacoma Gallery
No, I appreciate the feed back. I won't get an alternator just yet. Lighting THEN the alternator. Unless I start putting away a few dollars here and there. With my DUAL 31M's I will need something to charge them up nicely. Would be a welcomed addition to my power system, solar is on the list also.
Old 11-07-2013, 10:26 PM   #15
Vaginas are rad.
Boone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
Boone's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
No, I appreciate the feed back. I won't get an alternator just yet. Lighting THEN the alternator. Unless I start putting away a few dollars here and there. With my DUAL 31M's I will need something to charge them up nicely. Would be a welcomed addition to my power system, solar is on the list also.
Solar= Badass. Do you have a plan? Curious as I have given thought, but not seriously looked into it.
Old 11-07-2013, 10:32 PM   #17
Banned
AntChrist is one of the sharper tools in the shedAntChrist is one of the sharper tools in the shedAntChrist is one of the sharper tools in the shedAntChrist is one of the sharper tools in the shedAntChrist is one of the sharper tools in the shedAntChrist is one of the sharper tools in the shedAntChrist is one of the sharper tools in the shedAntChrist is one of the sharper tools in the shedAntChrist is one of the sharper tools in the shedAntChrist is one of the sharper tools in the shedAntChrist is one of the sharper tools in the shed
AntChrist's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdawg View Post

Plus most HO alts don't put up good amps at idle
How do you know?
Old 11-07-2013, 10:39 PM   #18
          

skygear's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boone Taco View Post
Solar= Badass. Do you have a plan? Curious as I have given thought, but not seriously looked into it.
Yes, I have been researching it for over a year now. There is a thread somewhere where I was going back and forth with a couple people on different ideas. The BRUNTON flexible solar panels look interesting and unbreakable. Not as efficient, but still better than worrying about breaking glass.

Have been watching many of the different AUS overland and 4x youtube videos on various aspects of the electrical systems also. Solar was touched many times. REDUNDANCY. That is what my plan is for this vehicle in overland travel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdawg View Post
I have a 2500w rms stereo and 20+ lights and winch and have had em all going at once...my 140amp alternator and dual batteries does fine. 200+ is over kill. Pointless.

Plus most HO alts don't put up good amps at idle
My plan is to have it there for a quicker charge. Every little bit of extra helps when you are out and about for LONG periods of time. For me it is just another aspect of my 'system' that I feel needs improvement/. I bet the HO alternators at idle still would push out more than out stock alternators would at idle.
Old 11-07-2013, 10:44 PM   #20
Dr. Frankenstein
Blackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Monte
Blackdawg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yes, I have been researching it for over a year now. There is a thread somewhere where I was going back and forth with a couple people on different ideas. The BRUNTON flexible solar panels look interesting and unbreakable. Not as efficient, but still better than worrying about breaking glass.

Have been watching many of the different AUS overland and 4x youtube videos on various aspects of the electrical systems also. Solar was touched many times. REDUNDANCY. That is what my plan is for this vehicle in overland travel.

My plan is to have it there for a quicker charge. Every little bit of extra helps when you are out and about for LONG periods of time. For me it is just another aspect of my 'system' that I feel needs improvement/. I bet the HO alternators at idle still would push out more than out stock alternators would at idle.

Yea but when you in those situations where your winching a lot or diging out the truck in the dark like so..

you aren't going to be doing a lot of driving..you idling most the time.

This was a 12 hour recovery job and once it got dark and all the lights when on and the winch came out..i was not doing much driving. Just idling.

Ill take the high idle over overall power any day after that trip..super glad i had it.