Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

Bulbs behind a/c and heater keep going out

Old 04-25-2011, 11:52 PM   #1
jdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jdmdcfan's Tacoma Gallery
Bulbs behind a/c and heater keep going out

So the bulb that lights up the fan switch went out. No biggy. Turns out my bumper to bumper doesn't cover it. Cool, I'll pay the 1 hour labor cash. I leave the dealership and they fixed it, BUT now the bulb behind the knob on the other side that controls where the air exits is out. What could it be? Because if I go to the dealership and they try to charge me another 90 dollars I'm gonna go off on them. Letting my taco leave with the same problem I payed for is not cool.

Is this a common problem with anyone else?
Old 04-25-2011, 11:58 PM   #2
tanzak88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtanzak88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtanzak88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtanzak88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtanzak88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtanzak88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtanzak88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtanzak88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtanzak88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtanzak88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtanzak88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Name: Tanner
tanzak88's Tacoma Gallery
Take it back and tell them that they screwed something up and have now caused a short somewhere and you're not paying for it to be fixed.
Old 04-26-2011, 12:04 AM   #3
jdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanzak88 View Post
Take it back and tell them that they screwed something up and have now caused a short somewhere and you're not paying for it to be fixed.
That's the plan but I want to go tomorrow not being completely oblivious about whats going on. I hate the feeling of going to the dealership knowing they will always have a rebuttal for everything.

any ideas TW?
Old 04-26-2011, 08:04 AM   #4
4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy:
4RunnerSeth's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 4RunnerSeth Send a message via MSN to 4RunnerSeth Send a message via Yahoo to 4RunnerSeth
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmdcfan View Post
That's the plan but I want to go tomorrow not being completely oblivious about whats going on. I hate the feeling of going to the dealership knowing they will always have a rebuttal for everything.

any ideas TW?
Ummmmm... Why are you paying someone to change the bulb? go to the dealer to get the bulb and change it yourself. can be done with one flat head screwdriver in about 5 minutes.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:25 AM   #5
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
macgyver's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRS 2 TiFJ View Post
Ummmmm... Why are you paying someone to change the bulb? go to the dealer to get the bulb and change it yourself. can be done with one flat head screwdriver in about 5 minutes.
Agreed...you actually don't even need a flathead. A butter knife would work. I don't even think it would take 5 minutes.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:33 AM   #6
A7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryan
A7XTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Definitely not worth paying 90 bucks to have done... Even the 15 they charge for the bulb is a little much. When mine burn out I will be finding another source for the bulbs.

How does the dealer charge a hour for that??? Thats highway robbery!
Old 04-26-2011, 10:24 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by A7XTaco View Post
Definitely not worth paying 90 bucks to have done... Even the 15 they charge for the bulb is a little much. When mine burn out I will be finding another source for the bulbs.

How does the dealer charge a hour for that??? Thats highway robbery!
What!? 5 minutes?! Why in the hell is toyota charging one hour labor for this?
Does anyone have pictures of taking apart the console?
Old 04-26-2011, 10:42 AM   #8
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
macgyver's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmdcfan View Post
What!? 5 minutes?! Why in the hell is toyota charging one hour labor for this?
Does anyone have pictures of taking apart the console?
They don't pro-rate. If it takes less than an hour they charge you for an hour.

The climate control bezel just clips in. You can slide a screwdriver, putty knife, butter knife, whatever you wanna use underneath and just pop it out. Then from there you can access the bulbs.
Old 04-26-2011, 10:45 AM   #9
Hunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Firefighter: Probie
Hunter500ky's Tacoma Gallery
OP Ill post pics tonight for you if you really need them, my light is flickering think its a lose connection but taking a look tonight.

Let me know
Old 04-26-2011, 11:13 AM   #11
A7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

A7XTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Look up stereo install. Just stop short of actually talking the stereo out.

Just remove one of the blank covers below the air vents (pops out).

Reach down in there and pop the AC controls forward then use something smooth to pry it out the rest of the way.
Old 04-26-2011, 11:15 AM   #12

A7XTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Here you go.

EDIT: At 50 seconds your work stops. On the back of the AC controls are 4 (I think) twist out caps that house the light bulbs.

Maybe someone has pictures of that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cV8Z5pCZGjU
Old 04-26-2011, 11:23 AM   #14

A7XTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grande View Post
i think i just found a new stash
I think dogs can small through plastic
Old 04-26-2011, 11:31 AM   #15
jammdogg has a brilliant futurejammdogg has a brilliant futurejammdogg has a brilliant futurejammdogg has a brilliant futurejammdogg has a brilliant futurejammdogg has a brilliant futurejammdogg has a brilliant futurejammdogg has a brilliant futurejammdogg has a brilliant futurejammdogg has a brilliant futurejammdogg has a brilliant future

Name: James
jammdogg's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to jammdogg
when you remove the heater panel, the bulbs actually "screw" in abour a quarter of a turn. Make sure it is "screwed" in. I just had the dealer replace a bulb in mine. It was out within a week. When I went to install my stereo, the bulb fell out. Once I turned it, it stayed and works.
Old 04-26-2011, 11:33 AM   #16
GerhartCss is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerhartCss is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerhartCss is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerhartCss is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerhartCss is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerhartCss is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerhartCss is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerhartCss is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerhartCss is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerhartCss is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerhartCss is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
GerhartCss's Tacoma Gallery
Exact same thing happened to me after taking it to the dealer: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/lig...ck-dealer.html
I was able to bend the metal tabs out a little and fix it without replacing the bulbs.
Old 04-26-2011, 11:41 AM   #18
Boiling denim and bangin whores
Tacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Clam Slammer
Tacomanator's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grande View Post
yea, my bulb that is behind the fan speed knob dosent always come on........just another thing on my to do list.....
mine have been doing the same thing for years.

im not so sure if its my bulbs or something to do with the wiring. if i tap the climate control area with my finger they will come on, but then turn off again. they turn on/off randomly on their own.
Old 04-26-2011, 11:48 AM   #19
mentose457 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmentose457 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmentose457 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmentose457 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmentose457 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmentose457 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmentose457 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmentose457 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmentose457 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmentose457 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmentose457 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
mentose457's Tacoma Gallery
Ive got the same problem. Does anyone have a part number for the bulb?

EDIT: Found it... 84999. The stealership wants $13 for it. Thieves!
Old 04-26-2011, 11:48 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter500ky View Post
OP Ill post pics tonight for you if you really need them, my light is flickering think its a lose connection but taking a look tonight.

Let me know
I think that video will do but thanks for the help. I should have just done the work myself. I should stop doubting you guys.

Thanks for all the help. Now im gonna try to get toyota to give me a free bulb.