Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

DIY HOW TO: LED Strip Bed Lights

Old 09-06-2011, 09:14 PM   #42
c.coulby is a splendid one to beholdc.coulby is a splendid one to beholdc.coulby is a splendid one to beholdc.coulby is a splendid one to beholdc.coulby is a splendid one to beholdc.coulby is a splendid one to behold

Name: Cameron
c.coulby's Tacoma Gallery
corner/marker lights? did you use leds or what? looks awesome!
Old 10-14-2011, 11:22 AM   #46
Cybertronian Tacoma
TacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Greg
TacomaPrime's Tacoma Gallery
you still have all the stuff for these? I'm gonna wanna order in a little bit.
Old 10-23-2011, 12:33 AM   #47
blackphantom09 is a jewel in the roughblackphantom09 is a jewel in the roughblackphantom09 is a jewel in the roughblackphantom09 is a jewel in the rough

blackphantom09's Tacoma Gallery
subbed for future use.

If I wanted to put the switch inside the cab instead of in the bed, could I just extend the 12v wires into the cab and run another wire from the switch to an aftermarket fuse box? Also what size bolts did you use for the aftermarket fuse box mount to the fender? Thanks.
Old 10-23-2011, 04:50 PM   #48
Indffrnce will be the fall of manknd but who cares
Drunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Retribution
Drunknsloth's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by captclueless View Post
you still have all the stuff for these? I'm gonna wanna order in a little bit.
Sorry I guess I missed your post when I was going over my subscriptions. Yep I still have everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackphantom09 View Post
subbed for future use.

If I wanted to put the switch inside the cab instead of in the bed, could I just extend the 12v wires into the cab and run another wire from the switch to an aftermarket fuse box? Also what size bolts did you use for the aftermarket fuse box mount to the fender? Thanks.
Yes the switch can be put inside the cab in that way. I am not sure what bolts I used but I know that it is exactly the same as the ones that bolt the horns on in front of the radiator. So you can go to a local hardware store, unbolt the horn bolt there and just take it in to match it
Old 10-23-2011, 04:57 PM   #49
blackphantom09 is a jewel in the roughblackphantom09 is a jewel in the roughblackphantom09 is a jewel in the roughblackphantom09 is a jewel in the rough

blackphantom09's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunknsloth View Post
Sorry I guess I missed your post when I was going over my subscriptions. Yep I still have everything

Yes the switch can be put inside the cab in that way. I am not sure what bolts I used but I know that it is exactly the same as the ones that bolt the horns on in front of the radiator. So you can go to a local hardware store, unbolt the horn bolt there and just take it in to match it

Thanks! I'll be in touch soon.
Old 11-03-2011, 02:35 AM   #51
griffin407c is one of the sharper tools in the shedgriffin407c is one of the sharper tools in the shedgriffin407c is one of the sharper tools in the shedgriffin407c is one of the sharper tools in the shedgriffin407c is one of the sharper tools in the shedgriffin407c is one of the sharper tools in the shedgriffin407c is one of the sharper tools in the shedgriffin407c is one of the sharper tools in the shedgriffin407c is one of the sharper tools in the shedgriffin407c is one of the sharper tools in the shedgriffin407c is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: POL/Fuels
Name: Ryan
griffin407c's Tacoma Gallery
definitely interested. don't have my truck anymore, but plan on getting another within the next 10 months or so. interested in the rigid version, cool white. probably 2-10" for under the hood and 2 sets of 2-10" for each side of the bed. i'll be in touch most likely after the new year.
Old 11-03-2011, 07:56 AM   #52
2012 is on a distinguished road
Name: Garrett
2012's Tacoma Gallery
just for everyone's information, you can also use a piece of bailing wire to lead a through the rubber wiring boot that goes through the fire wall under the dash. just electrical tape the wire to the bailing wire and poke it through, the rubber boot seals around the wire so it's water-tight, and you don't have to take anything apart, literally takes less than 30 seconds.

nice work by the way. i was just thinking about doing this yesterday. i put some in the engine bay instead. next week.
Old 11-03-2011, 09:25 AM   #53
doodooboi is on a distinguished road
doodooboi's Tacoma Gallery
sub'ed
Old 11-03-2011, 11:49 AM   #54
Indffrnce will be the fall of manknd but who cares
Drunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Retribution
Drunknsloth's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by griffin407c View Post
definitely interested. don't have my truck anymore, but plan on getting another within the next 10 months or so. interested in the rigid version, cool white. probably 2-10" for under the hood and 2 sets of 2-10" for each side of the bed. i'll be in touch most likely after the new year.
Sounds good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012 View Post
just for everyone's information, you can also use a piece of bailing wire to lead a through the rubber wiring boot that goes through the fire wall under the dash. just electrical tape the wire to the bailing wire and poke it through, the rubber boot seals around the wire so it's water-tight, and you don't have to take anything apart, literally takes less than 30 seconds.

nice work by the way. i was just thinking about doing this yesterday. i put some in the engine bay instead. next week.
Cool, hit me up if you need any more
Old 11-05-2011, 09:09 AM   #55
SARCOtheINFIDEL is a name known to allSARCOtheINFIDEL is a name known to allSARCOtheINFIDEL is a name known to allSARCOtheINFIDEL is a name known to allSARCOtheINFIDEL is a name known to allSARCOtheINFIDEL is a name known to all

Navy: Petty Officer First Class
SARCOtheINFIDEL's Tacoma Gallery
Nice! Great looking mod!
Old 01-05-2012, 11:55 PM   #57
Space Shuttle Door Gunner
ROGU3 PR3DATOR is one of the sharper tools in the shedROGU3 PR3DATOR is one of the sharper tools in the shedROGU3 PR3DATOR is one of the sharper tools in the shedROGU3 PR3DATOR is one of the sharper tools in the shedROGU3 PR3DATOR is one of the sharper tools in the shedROGU3 PR3DATOR is one of the sharper tools in the shedROGU3 PR3DATOR is one of the sharper tools in the shedROGU3 PR3DATOR is one of the sharper tools in the shedROGU3 PR3DATOR is one of the sharper tools in the shedROGU3 PR3DATOR is one of the sharper tools in the shedROGU3 PR3DATOR is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: EOD Tech
Name: Jake
ROGU3 PR3DATOR's Tacoma Gallery
So this may be a stupid question, but electrical work is hit and miss for me sometimes. As long as all the lights were connected using the bar to bar connectors, wouldn't you only need to use one 12v/ground connector, ideally next to the switch? It would essentially be wiring them in series would it not? Versus 4 and 2 in parallel, sort of? (or in my case using only 4 lights, 2 and 2) Here is how I see it in my head, so that might help clear things up

4 light setup, 2 on each side of bed: 12v---light--1'--light--5'--light--1'--light.

6 Light OP setup: 12v---light--1'--light--5'--light--1'--light--5'--light--1'--light.

Either way wire the 12v to the power on the switch and the ground to the chasis.

The center 5' bar to bar connector in the 4 light may need to be longer but you get the idea...
Old 01-06-2012, 08:58 PM   #58
Space Shuttle Door Gunner
ROGU3 PR3DATOR is one of the sharper tools in the shedROGU3 PR3DATOR is one of the sharper tools in the shedROGU3 PR3DATOR is one of the sharper tools in the shedROGU3 PR3DATOR is one of the sharper tools in the shedROGU3 PR3DATOR is one of the sharper tools in the shedROGU3 PR3DATOR is one of the sharper tools in the shedROGU3 PR3DATOR is one of the sharper tools in the shedROGU3 PR3DATOR is one of the sharper tools in the shedROGU3 PR3DATOR is one of the sharper tools in the shedROGU3 PR3DATOR is one of the sharper tools in the shedROGU3 PR3DATOR is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: EOD Tech
Name: Jake
ROGU3 PR3DATOR's Tacoma Gallery
Anyone...?
Old 01-07-2012, 08:51 PM   #59
7.62x63mm
goufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: NAVAIR
Name: Michael
goufcustom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunknsloth View Post
Step 10:
(Before you do this read this post by caribe makaira: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/lighting/154477-diy-how-led-strip-bed-lights.html#post3108230 and http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/lighting/154477-diy-how-led-strip-bed-lights.html#post3108146)
Go back under the truck and you can push this rubber boot to the side a little bit and push the wire through and grab it from under the driver's seat's carpet, pulling it out:

Why not just remove the factory electrical tape and run the wire through the boot like all the other wires, I did this when running the wires for my backup sensors and plan to do the same here, no chaffing, no issues, just replace the electrical tape with new tape and put it back together, much easier. It can be a little bit of a pain getting the wire through the boot, but it is clean.
Old 01-07-2012, 09:18 PM   #60
7.62x63mm
goufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: NAVAIR
Name: Michael
goufcustom's Tacoma Gallery
What fuse in the dash fuse box did you connect to? I want to wire mine up with the switch in the bed, so that I can turn the lights on when the truck is off or on.

Plan was to use add a fuse and run a wire back to the tails where the switch will be. Ground everything back there with the LEDs.