Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

DIY HOW TO: LED Strip Bed Lights

Old 01-08-2012, 12:04 AM   #61
Indffrnce will be the fall of manknd but who cares
Drunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Retribution
Drunknsloth's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by goufcustom View Post
Why not just remove the factory electrical tape and run the wire through the boot like all the other wires, I did this when running the wires for my backup sensors and plan to do the same here, no chaffing, no issues, just replace the electrical tape with new tape and put it back together, much easier. It can be a little bit of a pain getting the wire through the boot, but it is clean.
I didn't want to bother with the seal of the tape. Re-taping it usually makes it not stick as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goufcustom View Post
What fuse in the dash fuse box did you connect to? I want to wire mine up with the switch in the bed, so that I can turn the lights on when the truck is off or on.

Plan was to use add a fuse and run a wire back to the tails where the switch will be. Ground everything back there with the LEDs.
I actually used an aftermarket fuse box, but I'm sure you can find one that is always hot, maybe the dome light fuse
Old 01-08-2012, 12:05 AM   #62
Drunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROGU3 PR3DATOR View Post
So this may be a stupid question, but electrical work is hit and miss for me sometimes. As long as all the lights were connected using the bar to bar connectors, wouldn't you only need to use one 12v/ground connector, ideally next to the switch? It would essentially be wiring them in series would it not? Versus 4 and 2 in parallel, sort of? (or in my case using only 4 lights, 2 and 2) Here is how I see it in my head, so that might help clear things up

4 light setup, 2 on each side of bed: 12v---light--1'--light--5'--light--1'--light.

6 Light OP setup: 12v---light--1'--light--5'--light--1'--light--5'--light--1'--light.

Either way wire the 12v to the power on the switch and the ground to the chasis.

The center 5' bar to bar connector in the 4 light may need to be longer but you get the idea...
Sorry, I've been super busy with three jobs and school. But yes that would work, I don't quite remember why I didn't do that but I was missing a piece or something
Old 07-06-2012, 12:53 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdawg View Post
What about the open end on the last light? Did you just fill it with silicon? Or are there plugs available...
Put silicon in it and push it in so it look like it seals up the whole thing and leave a little concave part. Then when it dries, add more to be sure it is sealed and then you can wipe it off so it's flush. Basically just seal it as best as you can.
Old 08-15-2012, 09:38 AM   #65
Taco Monster
FightFire48 has a spectacular aura aboutFightFire48 has a spectacular aura about

Firefighter: Firefighter/EMT
Name: Will
FightFire48's Tacoma Gallery
Has anyone with a 1st gen done a similar mod?
Old 08-16-2012, 08:56 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdawg View Post
What about the open end on the last light? Did you just fill it with silicon? Or are there plugs available...
Quote:
Originally Posted by FightFire48 View Post
Has anyone with a 1st gen done a similar mod?
Blackdawg should be doing his soon, if he finds the time
Old 10-07-2012, 04:48 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by senojeelnodnarb View Post
where are the red leds placed to light up the floor board?
I put them right under the dash. I punched holes into the plastic and used zip ties to secure the LED strip up. I think I have a picture on here somewhere. Let me see if I can find it.
Old 10-25-2012, 03:40 PM   #71
OsideTRD will become famous soon enoughOsideTRD will become famous soon enough

OsideTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Where are you located? Are you willing to install?
Old 11-13-2012, 11:14 AM   #76
blake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Blake
blake5995's Tacoma Gallery
Old 11-13-2012, 11:49 AM   #77
tc98tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedtc98tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedtc98tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedtc98tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedtc98tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedtc98tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedtc98tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedtc98tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedtc98tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedtc98tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedtc98tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nik
tc98tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Subd, i wanna try this out it would be awesome
Old 01-05-2013, 06:10 AM   #78
Mr.Schertz is on a distinguished road

Mr.Schertz's Tacoma Gallery
Lowes sells a nice LED battery operated light bar. I just used the double sided tape and mounted it under the rail. When I need light,just push the button. Gives me more than enough light at the location I need. Only $14.95
Old 01-06-2013, 01:42 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Schertz View Post
Lowes sells a nice LED battery operated light bar. I just used the double sided tape and mounted it under the rail. When I need light,just push the button. Gives me more than enough light at the location I need. Only $14.95
Yeah, LED prices have dropped a shit ton since I started on these... I haven't seen any rigid ones around though.