Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

Morimoto Mini Projector Retro. Alignment Issues

Old 04-30-2011, 07:08 PM   #1
jeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jake
jeverich's Tacoma Gallery
Morimoto Mini Projector Retro. Alignment Issues

Did the Morimoto GB from TRS. Super happy with the quality of the products, and the amazing difference that it has made over the stock lighting.

Having some alignment issues with the Driver's side cutoff pattern...

Installation was:

Prjector w/white soft washer
Backside: Alignment Ring, Black rubber washer, nut, then bulb - w/split washer and black rubber washer, then bulb nut. I'm thinking that the first rubber washer may have affected the rotational alignment.

Already re-seated the bulb, which did nothing.

It seems as though the rotational alignment on the projector is actually off a few degrees. Pass. side seems level. Like others have said, the rotational alignment ring on the projectors does have some slop in it...perhaps causing this problem.

It's frustrating how the headlights have to be taken off the truck for any adjustments have to be made. Will attack them again tomorrow.

Any suggestions? Anyone else have this issue?

And that is a piece of painter's tape on the wall. To help with alignment.
Old 04-30-2011, 07:53 PM   #2
ppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Phuong
ppham444's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah, it looks like your driver's side projector needs to be rotated counter-clockwise a few degrees.
Old 04-30-2011, 08:36 PM   #3
Nightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Felipe
Nightstr's Tacoma Gallery
I think it's the bulb. Are those the 6000k?
Old 04-30-2011, 08:54 PM   #4
I love your mom!
Slimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Sergeant First Class
Name: Linwood
Slimwood Shady's Tacoma Gallery
It is probably the projector. Mine does the same thing. Then I looked at some of my in progress pics and noticed it then....
Old 04-30-2011, 09:03 PM   #5
blawrie will become famous soon enoughblawrie will become famous soon enough
blawrie's Tacoma Gallery
Hey man yeah the drivers side projector is off rotation. I installed the morimoto projectors about 3 weeks ago and both my projectors are not level either. But I never noticed until everything was back on my truck. Its kinda frustrating when TRS says on their site that the H4 adapter gets you instant horizontal alignment which is obviously not the case for every projector that leaves their shop. The adapter is a great idea but TRS should have higher quality control to ensure every adapter that gets sent out will in fact get you proper horizontal alignment. One day Im gonna have to try to tweek mine because it bugs me that they are not level either.
Old 04-30-2011, 09:15 PM   #6
blawrie's Tacoma Gallery
No I havent. I wasnt really looking forward to having to rip the lights off the truck and opening them up again in order to change the adapter. There is a slight bit of play with the adapter from what I can remember so I may loosen the nut on the back and see if i can turn them a bit.
Old 05-01-2011, 01:29 AM   #7
outxider is a jewel in the roughoutxider is a jewel in the roughoutxider is a jewel in the rough

Name: Sang
outxider's Tacoma Gallery
I just did the GB morimoto retro fit and both of mine projects are pictured like your driver side. Off slightly by a couple degrees. it's not horrible but does bug the hell out of me. You don't have to open your headlamps to do said rotation adjustment. Loosen the first nut after the h4 adapter and adjust accordingly. Other then the rotational adjustment, the light output is awesome and so the cut off. Well worth the investment for better night lighting.
Old 05-01-2011, 06:23 AM   #8
jeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jake
jeverich's Tacoma Gallery
Bulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightstr View Post
I think it's the bulb. Are those the 6000k?
Yeah, 6000k Morimoto 55W. When these go I'll be changing to 5000k,,,unless anyone wants to trade, They are almost "too blue" for me. Who knows, maybe they'll grow on me,

Seems like the projector isn't aligned - glad I'm not alone. It'd be crazy to expect a non - factory lighting setup retro to just drop right in and be perfect right away. At least the headlights do not have to get baked to remedy the issue. It's just a pain how the lights have to come off the truck, bulbs off yadda yadda yadda.

Not really TRS's fault, you have to consider that they are getting these things from some supplier out of China. For them to test every single unit that leaves the building would be impossible.

Overall, super impressed - the difference is amazing. Haven't gotten flashed at all.

Will update w/pics.
Old 05-01-2011, 07:40 AM   #9
blawrie's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah man post some more pics if you do get it aligned. The lights are back on my truck but im thinking if I take out the battery I should have room to loosen the nut a bit and try to rotate them. Mine are only off a couple degrees as well so when I get a chance im gonna try to straighten my drivers side projector as well. I definitely dont want to take the lights off my truck again though.
Old 05-01-2011, 10:26 AM   #10
nofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Patrick
nofords08's Tacoma Gallery

mines the same
Old 05-01-2011, 02:22 PM   #11
Muy Grande is one of the sharper tools in the shedMuy Grande is one of the sharper tools in the shedMuy Grande is one of the sharper tools in the shedMuy Grande is one of the sharper tools in the shedMuy Grande is one of the sharper tools in the shedMuy Grande is one of the sharper tools in the shedMuy Grande is one of the sharper tools in the shedMuy Grande is one of the sharper tools in the shedMuy Grande is one of the sharper tools in the shedMuy Grande is one of the sharper tools in the shedMuy Grande is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
Muy Grande's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppham444 View Post
Yeah, it looks like your driver's side projector needs to be rotated counter-clockwise a few degrees.
^2.....just need some more rotation. Good job.
Old 05-02-2011, 06:39 AM   #12
Chris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Chris
Chris(NJ)'s Tacoma Gallery
Mine is like that too. Its not as bad, but it could still use some adjusting. I'll get around to messing with it one day. I still need to adjust them up just a little more as well, so one night when I'm bored, I'll probably do some tinkering.
Old 08-26-2014, 12:44 AM   #14
toendanger is on a distinguished road
Name: Harlan
toendanger's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by FawkQ View Post
waking up an old thread

glad I'm not alone here... anyone have a quick fix for the D2S style? do I have to open the lights back up?
Well, if you used the adapter plate, then it's gonna be pretty much non adjustable. I had aftermarket headlights and the notches for the H4 bulb were both rotated a bit making them really angled on both sides. only option was to trim down the little notch in the adapter plate that slides in over the projector shaft threads down flat. Letting the projector freely rotate. Was a lot harder to aim properly but it worked. I had to hold the projector by hand as I tightened it down as there was nothing to keep it from rotating as I tightened it. So, there isn't an easy fix. Yer gonna have to split the headlights..