1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Morimoto Mini Projector Retro. Alignment Issues

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by jeverich, Apr 30, 2011.

1. Apr 30, 2011 at 7:08 PM
    jeverich

jeverich [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    PNW/Kodiak
    Vehicle:
    07 2.7 4x4
    OME 886/Old Man Doug Suspension Lift, ARB Bumper, Bruteforce High Clearance w/Swing Out, De-badge, Block Heater, Homemade IFS Skid, 7" Kragens, Blue Seas Fuse Block, BlitzPro Fogs, 12k BadLands Winch, BAMF Sliders, ARB Locker, 4.88s Yaesu FT-1900R, Larsen 150B NMO Mount Antenna
    Did the Morimoto GB from TRS. Super happy with the quality of the products, and the amazing difference that it has made over the stock lighting.

Having some alignment issues with the Driver's side cutoff pattern...

Installation was:

Prjector w/white soft washer
    Backside: Alignment Ring, Black rubber washer, nut, then bulb - w/split washer and black rubber washer, then bulb nut. I'm thinking that the first rubber washer may have affected the rotational alignment.

Already re-seated the bulb, which did nothing.

It seems as though the rotational alignment on the projector is actually off a few degrees. Pass. side seems level. Like others have said, the rotational alignment ring on the projectors does have some slop in it...perhaps causing this problem.

It's frustrating how the headlights have to be taken off the truck for any adjustments have to be made. Will attack them again tomorrow.

Any suggestions? Anyone else have this issue?

DSC_0007_e405b9bb5167cce4fcac221006dd7b4617f0ad02.jpgDSC_0004_2617d45b76881938e37c68398f663a462749b326.jpgAnd that is a piece of painter's tape on the wall. To help with alignment.

2. Apr 30, 2011 at 7:53 PM
    ppham444

ppham444 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Phuong
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    2023 White TRD Off-Road doublecab
    Yeah, it looks like your driver's side projector needs to be rotated counter-clockwise a few degrees.

3. Apr 30, 2011 at 8:36 PM
    Nightstr

Nightstr Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Felipe
    Sacramento CA
    Vehicle:
    05 prerunner sr5
    BLHM BLWM 3" TOUGH COUNTRY LIFT TRD SEAT COVERS THULE RACK M/T KM2 265/65/16
    I think it's the bulb. Are those the 6000k?

4. Apr 30, 2011 at 8:54 PM
    Slimwood Shady

Slimwood Shady I love your mom!

Member:
    First Name:
    Linwood
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    '23 TRD Pro Tundra; 996TT; '16 Odyssey
    #nomods
    It is probably the projector. Mine does the same thing. Then I looked at some of my in progress pics and noticed it then....

5. Apr 30, 2011 at 9:03 PM
    blawrie

blawrie Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hey man yeah the drivers side projector is off rotation. I installed the morimoto projectors about 3 weeks ago and both my projectors are not level either. But I never noticed until everything was back on my truck. Its kinda frustrating when TRS says on their site that the H4 adapter gets you instant horizontal alignment which is obviously not the case for every projector that leaves their shop. The adapter is a great idea but TRS should have higher quality control to ensure every adapter that gets sent out will in fact get you proper horizontal alignment. One day Im gonna have to try to tweek mine because it bugs me that they are not level either.

6. Apr 30, 2011 at 9:15 PM
    blawrie

Member:
    No I havent. I wasnt really looking forward to having to rip the lights off the truck and opening them up again in order to change the adapter. There is a slight bit of play with the adapter from what I can remember so I may loosen the nut on the back and see if i can turn them a bit.

7. May 1, 2011 at 1:29 AM
    outxider

outxider Never stop exploring. Rest in Paradise Big Bro.

Member:
    First Name:
    Sang
    East Bay, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 DCSB 4x4
    A few mods here and there and counting....
    I just did the GB morimoto retro fit and both of mine projects are pictured like your driver side. Off slightly by a couple degrees. it's not horrible but does bug the hell out of me. You don't have to open your headlamps to do said rotation adjustment. Loosen the first nut after the h4 adapter and adjust accordingly. Other then the rotational adjustment, the light output is awesome and so the cut off. Well worth the investment for better night lighting.

8. May 1, 2011 at 6:23 AM
    jeverich

jeverich [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    PNW/Kodiak
    Vehicle:
    07 2.7 4x4
    OME 886/Old Man Doug Suspension Lift, ARB Bumper, Bruteforce High Clearance w/Swing Out, De-badge, Block Heater, Homemade IFS Skid, 7" Kragens, Blue Seas Fuse Block, BlitzPro Fogs, 12k BadLands Winch, BAMF Sliders, ARB Locker, 4.88s Yaesu FT-1900R, Larsen 150B NMO Mount Antenna
    Yeah, 6000k Morimoto 55W. When these go I'll be changing to 5000k,,,unless anyone wants to trade, They are almost "too blue" for me. Who knows, maybe they'll grow on me,

Seems like the projector isn't aligned - glad I'm not alone. It'd be crazy to expect a non - factory lighting setup retro to just drop right in and be perfect right away. At least the headlights do not have to get baked to remedy the issue. It's just a pain how the lights have to come off the truck, bulbs off yadda yadda yadda.

Not really TRS's fault, you have to consider that they are getting these things from some supplier out of China. For them to test every single unit that leaves the building would be impossible.

Overall, super impressed - the difference is amazing. Haven't gotten flashed at all.

Will update w/pics.

9. May 1, 2011 at 7:40 AM
    blawrie

Member:
    Yeah man post some more pics if you do get it aligned. The lights are back on my truck but im thinking if I take out the battery I should have room to loosen the nut a bit and try to rotate them. Mine are only off a couple degrees as well so when I get a chance im gonna try to straighten my drivers side projector as well. I definitely dont want to take the lights off my truck again though.

10. May 1, 2011 at 10:26 AM
    PLC721

PLC721 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Chandler, Az
    Vehicle:
    2017 Toyota Tundra Crewmax ProKiller
    Kings, Toyos, Baja Designs, TC, SDHQ
    [​IMG]

mines the same

11. May 1, 2011 at 2:22 PM
    Muy Grande

Muy Grande Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Dallas, TX; RGV, TX
    Vehicle:
    06 DC TRD
    Suspension: DHoes up front, Dakar and OME out back. Audio: Alpine w205 w/ pair of Alpine Amps, Image Dynamic 6.5 Component Speakers up front and Image Dynamic Subs in the Back. Armor: ARB Bull Bar, Rocktek rear bumper and custom rock sliders. Other: Rigid Industries LED Light Bar, Platinum DieHard Battery, BlueSea Fuse Block, rear lights, bed lights, leds inside.
    ^2.....just need some more rotation. Good job. :D

12. May 2, 2011 at 6:39 AM
    Chris(NJ)

Chris(NJ) Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Usually in Central Jersey
    Vehicle:
    08 Indigo 4x4 DC OR
    Mods are currently being changed .....
    Mine is like that too. Its not as bad, but it could still use some adjusting. I'll get around to messing with it one day. I still need to adjust them up just a little more as well, so one night when I'm bored, I'll probably do some tinkering.

13. Aug 25, 2014 at 11:16 PM
    FawkQ

FawkQ Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport DCSB V6 4.0 6M "The Sequel"
    waking up an old thread

glad I'm not alone here... anyone have a quick fix for the D2S style? do I have to open the lights back up?

14. Aug 26, 2014 at 12:44 AM
    NightProwler

NightProwler Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Harlan
    Maricopa, Az
    Vehicle:
    '01 Prerunner, '03 cbr600rr, '09 R1, '03 cbr954rr
    Well, if you used the adapter plate, then it's gonna be pretty much non adjustable. I had aftermarket headlights and the notches for the H4 bulb were both rotated a bit making them really angled on both sides. only option was to trim down the little notch in the adapter plate that slides in over the projector shaft threads down flat. Letting the projector freely rotate. Was a lot harder to aim properly but it worked. I had to hold the projector by hand as I tightened it down as there was nothing to keep it from rotating as I tightened it. So, there isn't an easy fix. Yer gonna have to split the headlights..

Products Discussed in

To Top