Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

Offroad light oddity with a relay...

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-03-2011, 01:59 PM   #21
Indffrnce will be the fall of manknd but who cares
Drunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Retribution
Drunknsloth's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSU Taco85 View Post
The relay coil doesn't care which end is +12V or ground, it will still work. I tied these together so that 30 provides the voltage to the lights, pin 85 provides the +12V to the relay coil, and then pin 86 is wired to the switch which is connected through to ground. The lights worked on Saturday, I was there and seen it!

What didn't work was the LED for the switch. The way we wired it up, the switch tied the relay coil to ground.

The way for the LED to work on the switch you need to wire the following:

+12V add a circuit fused power to pin 2 of switch
Ground to pin 3 of switch
Connect relay pin 86 to pin 2 of switch
Connect relay pin 85 to ground
Oh okay that make sense, just seems more complicated then it needs to be.
Old 05-03-2011, 02:03 PM   #22
BIG DADDY
brutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

brutalguyracing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by StandingCow View Post
Power and ground from the relay are going to the battery... I also didn't put the power from the fuse box to the switch either, since I assume that is only for the little LED on the switch.

I attached what mine looks like right now.
this is a problem.....power from the switch powers the relay
Old 05-03-2011, 02:08 PM   #23
BIG DADDY
brutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

john just do it properly the first time.....
it should not be this hard.....
power from aafuse to switch---then switch to relay
power from battery to relay
ground switch and relay
ground lights to frame
then run a power wire from relay to lights
done....
stop fucking around and do it right
Old 05-03-2011, 02:19 PM   #24
BIG DADDY

also you original diagram is wrong.....
85 and 86 are backwards that is all
Old 05-03-2011, 02:25 PM   #25
BIG DADDY

if i were you i would take a wire from your battery and connect it directly to your frame.....

since you are a philly fan
Old 05-03-2011, 07:03 PM   #26
Lurker No More
caribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: CAG11 & VAW-117 AME2
caribe makaira's Tacoma Gallery
Stupid is as stupid does...
Old 05-03-2011, 08:23 PM   #27
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Power and ground from the relay are going to the battery... I also didn't put the power from the fuse box to the switch either, since I assume that is only for the little LED on the switch.

I attached what mine looks like right now.

So, you connected 85 to battery positive, flip the switch and the lights come on? If so, then the terminal 86 is getting a ground from the switch, that means you have some wires mixed up at the switch.

Just read the rest of it......I agree with the others....you need positive power at the switch and the switches ground is what causes the indicator light to come on inside the switch.
Old 05-03-2011, 08:48 PM   #28
StandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Prior service. KC135 Crew Chief
Name: John
StandingCow's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by joes06tacoma View Post
So, you connected 85 to battery positive, flip the switch and the lights come on? If so, then the terminal 86 is getting a ground from the switch, that means you have some wires mixed up at the switch.

Just read the rest of it......I agree with the others....you need positive power at the switch and the switches ground is what causes the indicator light to come on inside the switch.
Yea, I am grabbing an add-a-fuse tomorrow morning to grab power from the inside fuse panel (Rear window control which I don't even have in the truck).

The switch has numbers 2,3,4... so I will try ground to 3, lights to 2, and fuse power to 4 (which is 85 of the relay).

The ONLY reason (as others have mentioned) that it didn't work once I wired it up per my first diagram is because there was no power from the switch to the relay to allow the lights to get power. At least that is my understanding of it.

Also, 85 and 86 being the coil, it shouldn't matter which is ground and which is load, right (Never mind Anthony answered this, it doesn't)? Like scott said, it shouldn't be this complicated at all, my first mistake was not using power from the switch to flip the relay.

Oh well, I will know tomorrow.
Old 05-03-2011, 09:52 PM   #29
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yea, I am grabbing an add-a-fuse tomorrow morning to grab power from the inside fuse panel (Rear window control which I don't even have in the truck).

The switch has numbers 2,3,4... so I will try ground to 3, lights to 2, and fuse power to 4 (which is 85 of the relay).

The ONLY reason (as others have mentioned) that it didn't work once I wired it up per my first diagram is because there was no power from the switch to the relay to allow the lights to get power. At least that is my understanding of it.

Also, 85 and 86 being the coil, it shouldn't matter which is ground and which is load, right (Never mind Anthony answered this, it doesn't)? Like scott said, it shouldn't be this complicated at all, my first mistake was not using power from the switch to flip the relay.

Oh well, I will know tomorrow.
Sounds like you are on the right track. Not sure about the numbers you have on the switch. The relay pin numbers are standard, but I have never seen a standard setup for a switch.
Old 05-03-2011, 10:05 PM   #30
StandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by joes06tacoma View Post
Sounds like you are on the right track. Not sure about the numbers you have on the switch. The relay pin numbers are standard, but I have never seen a standard setup for a switch.
I know. :/

I couldn't find anything online, I am gonna research a bit more though.

EDIT: In case any of you are following to learn: http://electronics.howstuffworks.com...lay_basics.htm

So, I am confident that my setup is correct, the only slight concern I have is that I blew a low amp fuse, since the relay should have been fine on really low amperage... oh well.
Old 05-03-2011, 11:10 PM   #31
Indffrnce will be the fall of manknd but who cares
Drunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Retribution
Drunknsloth's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I know. :/

I couldn't find anything online, I am gonna research a bit more though.

EDIT: In case any of you are following to learn: http://electronics.howstuffworks.com...lay_basics.htm

So, I am confident that my setup is correct, the only slight concern I have is that I blew a low amp fuse, since the relay should have been fine on really low amperage... oh well.
If it was the fuse for the switch then you shouldn't have blown it, something else is wrong. If it's the fuse from the power source to the relay then yeah try running 15A or 20A
Old 05-03-2011, 11:15 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunknsloth View Post
If it was the fuse for the switch then you shouldn't have blown it, something else is wrong. If it's the fuse from the power source to the relay then yeah try running 15A or 20A
Nah, was the fuse for the power source to the relay.

If I blew the fuse for the switch I would have thrown a fit.
Old 05-03-2011, 11:31 PM   #34
kinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
kinkrider101's Tacoma Gallery
Look at this diagram

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...fog-lights.jpg
Old 05-04-2011, 12:37 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkrider101 View Post
Yea, that is actually what I had printed out while I was working on it.
Old 05-04-2011, 12:39 AM   #36
BIG DADDY

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutalguyracing View Post
john just do it properly the first time.....
it should not be this hard.....
power from aafuse to switch---then switch to relay
power from battery to relay
ground switch and relay
ground lights to frame
then run a power wire from relay to lights
done....
stop fucking around and do it right
Quote:
also you original diagram is wrong.....
85 and 86 are backwards that is all
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkrider101 View Post
yes that is a good dia...
Old 05-04-2011, 02:14 AM   #37

85 and 86 cannot be backwards, there is no backwards. :P
Old 05-04-2011, 06:00 AM   #38
BIG DADDY

Says the guy who can not wire a relay
Old 05-04-2011, 07:22 AM   #39

Quote:
Says the guy who can not wire a relay
Old 05-04-2011, 08:44 AM   #40
BIG DADDY

Quote:

Products Discussed in this Thread