Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

HID Rock Lights Install

Old 05-05-2011, 03:07 PM   #1
The Mad Scientist
jberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
jberry813's Tacoma Gallery
HID Rock Lights Install

Yes you read that right. HID rock lights. Count em, five 55 Watt HID lights. 25000 lumens of light…pointing at the ground.

I’d been meaning to install some rock lights for a while now, but never really found quite what I was looking for. Night time wheeling is a whole different beast and extra lights always help. They also double as landing lights out at Pismo.

I was strolling through my local Wallyworld and came across these small and inexpensive fog lights. They were on clearance for $13 a pair. So I bought the last 3 sets they had. The housings are all metal and the lenses are glass and they have a nice thick rubber grommet to keep out moisture and debris. Pealing back the rubber grommet you can see it uses a standard 55 Watt halogen bulb held in with a small single set screw

My original plan was not to use HID bulbs, but since the lights were a standard H3 bulb and I had a couple of DDM kits leftover from a previous project, I figured I’d give it a try. The bulbs fit the housings perfectly with room to spare. I replaced the set screw with a slightly larger screw with a larger surface area to ensure it wouldn’t move around too much.

Next I cut a small slit in the rubber grommet for the back of the bulbs and wiring and slid it back into its original spot. Wrapped it with some electrical tape to keep any extra debris out and call it done.

I repeated that process 4 more times for a total of 5 lights. I actually had to order an additional set of HIDs as I didn’t have 5 on hand, so this was a bit of an ongoing project.

The lights themselves are quite small and can fit in relatively tight spaces. Finding a spot to mount the lights was easy. Finding a spot for the ballast was slightly more challenging.

The front two lights are behind the front bumper and shine directly in front of the front tires.

The middle two lights are mounted in between the front and rear tires directly on the frame. Again my goal was to have them project in front of the tires but these lights really flood.

The last one was mounted where my rear spare tire carrier used to be. I have a full sized spare in the bed of my truck and have no use for the old tire carrier so I unbolted it and put the last light in its place and facing slightly to the rear.

Wiring was is pretty straightforward. I did run into one small snafu when wiring this up though. Five lights at 55 watts each is a total of 275 watts. Total current draw for that at 12 volts is 22.9 amps. I ran two strands of wire. Two lights (passenger side) on one strand, and three lights (driver side and rear) on the other. I figured at 22.9 amps I could use a single relay and a single 30 amp fuse. While this worked, it didn’t work for long. The fuse got super hot and blew after a few test uses. Unbeknownst to me, HID’s pull more than twice as much load when the bulbs are first heating up. Meaning instead of 22.9 amps it was drawing more than 46 amps when warming up. So I split it into two separate circuits.

I had bought a small 6 circuit auxiliary fuse block a while back and this was as good excuse as any to finally put it to use. The fuse block is made by Blue Sea. Each circuit is rated at a max of 30 amps and the total block is rated at 125 amps. I ran a 4 AWG line from the battery to the fuse block with an inline 100 amp AGU fuse. The whole package bolted down to a piece of steel and mounted behind the factory fuse block.

And now, the finished product. Get your suglasses ready

The pictures really don’t do it justice but these things light up my entire street. Can’t wait for the next Pismo trip.

Old 05-05-2011, 03:10 PM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
DAM!
Old 05-05-2011, 03:13 PM   #3
4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy:
4RunnerSeth's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 4RunnerSeth Send a message via MSN to 4RunnerSeth Send a message via Yahoo to 4RunnerSeth
Damn Jason! nutty... atleast now you can clearly see all the mud flying up into your airbox!
Old 05-05-2011, 03:16 PM   #4
The Mad Scientist
jberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
DAM!
Is that the chris4x4 "DAM!" of approval or the chris4x4 "DAM!" you'r an idiot. I can never tell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRS 2 TiFJ View Post
Damn Jason! nutty... atleast now you can clearly see all the mud flying up into your airbox!
I'm seriously never living that one down huh? I'm working on a solution though. It involves a midget and zipties
Old 05-05-2011, 03:17 PM   #5
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jberry813 View Post
Is that the chris4x4 "DAM!" of approval or the chris4x4 "DAM!" you'r an idiot. I can never tell.
Oh no. Thats Approval! Well done!!
Old 05-05-2011, 03:22 PM   #6
Sabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedSabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedSabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedSabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedSabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedSabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedSabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedSabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedSabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedSabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedSabre is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: FN
Name: Kyle
Sabre's Tacoma Gallery
sick right up! i really like it
Old 05-05-2011, 03:39 PM   #7
4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy:
4RunnerSeth's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 4RunnerSeth Send a message via MSN to 4RunnerSeth Send a message via Yahoo to 4RunnerSeth
Quote:
Originally Posted by jberry813 View Post

I'm seriously never living that one down huh? I'm working on a solution though. It involves a midget and zipties
You just need to put a hamster in there with a tiny bucket..
Old 05-05-2011, 06:02 PM   #8
The Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Oh no. Thats Approval! Well done!!
I can die happy now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabre View Post
sick right up! i really like it
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRS 2 TiFJ View Post
You just need to put a hamster in there with a tiny bucket..
Excellent plan B! He can bail through the deckplate.
Old 05-06-2011, 07:31 AM   #9
Are these black helicopters for me?
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
haha thats great! Ive had a set of those lights on my last taco, one for a backup light and one for a bed light. the backup light didnt last long, blew out and then got crushed crossing a dried out ditch...

but the bed light always worked great. I always wondered what these would be like with HID's in them
Old 05-07-2011, 11:17 AM   #10
"Toyota Mafia" MORE BALLS THAN BRAINS
ironman44bear is one of the sharper tools in the shedironman44bear is one of the sharper tools in the shedironman44bear is one of the sharper tools in the shedironman44bear is one of the sharper tools in the shedironman44bear is one of the sharper tools in the shedironman44bear is one of the sharper tools in the shedironman44bear is one of the sharper tools in the shedironman44bear is one of the sharper tools in the shedironman44bear is one of the sharper tools in the shedironman44bear is one of the sharper tools in the shedironman44bear is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Billy
ironman44bear's Tacoma Gallery
Nice work OP, i'm gathering up parts to do the same.. 1 rep for you sir
Old 05-07-2011, 11:39 AM   #11
booboy is on a distinguished road

booboy's Tacoma Gallery
That's tight! Awesome job brotha!
Old 05-07-2011, 01:45 PM   #13
The Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironman44bear View Post
Nice work OP, i'm gathering up parts to do the same.. 1 rep for you sir
Quote:
Originally Posted by booboy View Post
That's tight! Awesome job brotha!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman427 View Post
holy snaapppss... looks good brotha....
Thanks guys!!!
Old 04-18-2012, 11:32 PM   #15
Out fer a Rip eh Bud
VanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: DJ
VanCity4x's Tacoma Gallery
WOW nice work. Super clean. Really nice size housing. I have a little bigger housing im retrofiting with 9W LED bulbs for reverse lights.

1+ for you sir. Sick rig.
Old 07-23-2012, 05:37 AM   #16
Fati Tacoma is a jewel in the roughFati Tacoma is a jewel in the roughFati Tacoma is a jewel in the rough
Fati Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Epic. Nice set up here! What brand are the lights? I'm having trouble finding small lights with glass lenses and decent protection in the back like yours.
Old 07-23-2012, 06:51 AM   #18
DC TRD MallRunner
Taco Man in HD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Man in HD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Man in HD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Man in HD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Man in HD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Man in HD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Man in HD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Man in HD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Man in HD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Man in HD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Man in HD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Evan
Taco Man in HD's Tacoma Gallery
looks great man!
Old 07-23-2012, 07:19 AM   #19
uneekvisions is on a distinguished road
Name: Steven
uneekvisions's Tacoma Gallery
Amazing!
Old 08-02-2012, 08:54 PM   #20
Skewpage
chilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rodrigo
chilidogrc's Tacoma Gallery
Nice write-up! How are the lights holding up so far?