Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

PIAA 510 vs. 540

Old 05-06-2011, 05:44 PM   #1
67gtonut has a spectacular aura about67gtonut has a spectacular aura about

Name: Troy
67gtonut's Tacoma Gallery
PIAA 510 vs. 540

Getting ready for next mod..... did my searching and reading.

Now just looking for up to date opinions and some pics....

I have a Base 09 with no Fogs and was going to just get an Ebay kit, but I bought the OEM knock-offs in the past for my Silverado, and they were crap, so I am gunshy about doing it again.....

So I know PIAA makes the Tacoma kit with the 540's, but many dont like how shallow they mount in the cup.....

I also see alot of guys did their own install of the 510's and were pleased....

What is the general consensus these days on which way to go....?

and if someone could post up there 510's installed, would love to seem some pics and some hints on how you mounted them...

Thanks

Troy
Old 05-06-2011, 05:46 PM   #2
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
I just got 540's for an aftermarket bumper , but if I was replacing the stocks , I would go with the 510's .
Old 05-06-2011, 06:02 PM   #3
Somewhere on sabbatical
mountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shed

mountainwolfpup's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to mountainwolfpup Send a message via Yahoo to mountainwolfpup Send a message via Skype™ to mountainwolfpup
I think that the 510's are physically smaller then the 540's. And, for some reason the little 510's seem to be brighter then 540's to me?

Of course I feel both light setups are more about adding a "safety factor" allowing others to see you then actually being a practical supplemental lighting system for vehicle navigation.

Anyway, seems to me that either setup would work well within the existing bumper openings. No real noticeable difference.
Old 05-06-2011, 06:05 PM   #4
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainwolfpup View Post
I think that the 510's are physically smaller then the 540's. And, for some reason the little 510's seem to be brighter then 540's to me?

Of course I feel both light setups are more about adding a "safety factor" allowing others to see you then actually being a practical supplemental lighting system for vehicle navigation.

Anyway, seems to me that either setup would work well within the existing bumper openings. No real noticeable difference.
The 510's are 4" , the 540's are 5 "
Old 05-07-2011, 02:18 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainwolfpup View Post

I agree on the safety factor, and I do admit, I am doing this more for looks then anything else. I still want a quality light on the vehicle....
Old 05-07-2011, 02:20 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95SLE View Post
My 510's installed.

Nice......

How are they mounted? Did you just secure the stud on the light to a hole you made in the bumper cover? Or something more involved?
Old 05-07-2011, 03:46 AM   #8
Old Man Winter
95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 34th SIG
Name: Tom
95SLE's Tacoma Gallery
I drilled a hole in the bumper cover for the mounting bolt. Worked out rather nicely. Placed the lights a little farther back in the opening so the distance between the light and the opening is not too noticeable.

Picked up the lights on eBay for around $150, Deals on the lights are out there, happy hunting.
Old 05-07-2011, 04:25 AM   #9
McGrubber
woody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Blacksheep of the DOD
Name: Beau
woody6047's Tacoma Gallery
I have 510's in an aftermarket bumper and they are extremely bright, the 540's are a little bigger and i dont think they would fit in the factory holes....
Old 05-07-2011, 01:48 PM   #10
Old Man Winter
95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 34th SIG
Name: Tom
95SLE's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by woody6047 View Post
I have 510's in an aftermarket bumper and they are extremely bright, the 540's are a little bigger and i dont think they would fit in the factory holes....
Beau:
I came to the same assment which is why I went with the 510's.

This is my first set of PIAA lamps and they work better than I expected. The only other 4in round lamps I found are made by Bosche.
Old 05-07-2011, 02:17 PM   #11
McGrubber
woody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Blacksheep of the DOD
Name: Beau
woody6047's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95SLE View Post
Beau:
I came to the same assment which is why I went with the 510's.

This is my first set of PIAA lamps and they work better than I expected. The only other 4in round lamps I found are made by Bosche.
I am very happy with mine as well and whenever im running low beams they are always on, been running strong for over 2 years now and never a problem.

OP: Mine run straight to my fog light switch so i cant really help with how you would run a switch to them though sorry.
Old 05-07-2011, 02:51 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody6047 View Post
I am very happy with mine as well and whenever im running low beams they are always on, been running strong for over 2 years now and never a problem.

OP: Mine run straight to my fog light switch so i cant really help with how you would run a switch to them though sorry.
Thanks everyone for the info....

Not too worried about the wiring...

More just wondering how you mounted them in the hole. So it looks like just drilling a hole as far back as the light will allow is just the way to go....

Wish I could see what kind of "bracket" the PIAA Tacoma 540 Kits comes with...... just curious....