Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

Write-Up: LED Lights w/ Door Trigger (The Hella Easy Way)

Old 06-02-2011, 12:36 AM   #1
My Truck is Cuter than Yours
Kelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kelson
Kelson's Tacoma Gallery
Write-Up: LED Lights w/ Door Trigger (The Hella Easy Way)

Can't see your feet at night? Do you want to see them? Do you want to see them when you open your door? Then this mod is for you.

Instead of using a relay like some other methods, this way utilizes a three way switch to switch the ground for your LEDs from the door trigger ground (on when you open the door(s)), Chassis Ground (always on), no ground (off). simple. easy. no need mess around with a relay. therefore, more awesome.

Parts/Supplies Needed:

GSW-45 Rocker Switch - Scion OEM Style- 3 way Switch (On/Off/On)- Fits in the dash opening with shaving- http://www.oznium.com/gsw-45

LED/Cathodes of your choice; I used these in 1 Foot lengths: http://www.oznium.com/led-ribbon

Wire
Assorted Terminals
Crimps
Heat Shrink Wrap or electrical tape
Crimper and/or Soldering Iron
Zip Ties
Hands

Step One: Find the door trigger leads, located underneath the left and right side trim panels underneath the doors. Door trigger wires may vary from truck to truck, so check first before you make a splice. Double cab trucks, check the wiring diagram and make sure you check the lead. I don't know what color the rear doors will be. The door trigger leads are negative.

Driver Side:

Passenger Side:

Step Two: Run wire from the door trigger wires to your switch. (ON Top)

Step Three: Run wire from Switch (ON Bottom) to chassis, for ground.

Step Four: Run wire from your switch (Off Middle) to your NEGATIVE lead on your LEDs/Cathodes.

Switch:

Step Five: Using either an add a fuse, or a wire directly from the battery, run wire and connect your POSITIVE lead on your Light source to this. Make sure whatever method you use, fuse appropriately.

Step Six: Mount LEDs where you want, and Enjoy!

Wiring Diagram:
Old 04-15-2013, 07:21 PM   #4
adalex is on a distinguished road
adalex's Tacoma Gallery
Hi, I sent you a message on facebook but I was wondering if you might be able to help me with an issue I'm having, your the only one whos done what I'm trying to do with the same switch. I have a 99 camry and as it stands now I can't get the lights to stay on all the time, only the off (middle position) and on when doors are open/off when their closed (bottom position) to work. I know the wiring is different but if you might have any idea what to tap in to I could figure out the correct wire.
heres a link to my thread
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/10...ical-help.html

basically per your diagram, I have the dome light + hooked to a inline fuse that is hooked into the + wire that I ran around the car.

I have the - wire for the dome hooked to the top position on the switch
I have the - wire hooked to the - wire of the main wire.
I tried hooked the last wire to a ground by my kick plate but it doesn't do anything and the led that I got to work on the front works whether the ground is hooked to the switch or not. I thought I could use + for the dome wire instead of tapping into the battery but not sure.

again I'd appreciate any suggestions to at least point me in the correct direction
Old 04-30-2013, 12:13 AM   #5
calebdnehus is on a distinguished road
Name: Caleb
calebdnehus's Tacoma Gallery
could this be done with a two position switch? could you run the door trigger wire to the switch positive power prong, the positive wire on the lights to the acc power pong on the switch, and the ground on the switch to the cab along with the ground from the lights?
Old 11-06-2013, 12:02 PM   #6
avenger619 is on a distinguished road
avenger619's Tacoma Gallery
LED Door Trigger Lights

Hi new to the forum here, this is a mod am currently working to get kick started for my undercarriage lights that I hope to get them to come on when door opens, alarm is clicked, and at anytime like with what you have done.

My questions is can I use this same wiring diagram concept but tapping into the dome wire? because otherwise I assume the trigger method I would have to tap into all four door triggers so all doors turn on, is this correct?
Old 11-06-2013, 12:13 PM   #7
Boogyman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoogyman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoogyman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoogyman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoogyman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoogyman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoogyman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoogyman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoogyman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoogyman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoogyman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Phoenix
Boogyman's Tacoma Gallery
i wired mine directly to the dome light. i ran the wires up the pillar under the headliner and into the dome light. it has its own inline fuse but its still probably not the safest but works great for my use and fades off like the dome light when i lock the doors or start the truck. looks like it came from the factory that way!
Old 11-06-2013, 12:22 PM   #8
LRGRNR
Sandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Sandman614's Tacoma Gallery
I approve of this The three way switch is perfect for when you want to leave your doors open and not run your battery dead.

2 things I did different when I had done mine.

1. I used a Carling switch (personal preference, customizable covers)
2. I used the dimmer ground for the dome light, from the same driver side location you are using. The foot lighting operates the same as the dome light, fades on when unlocked, fades off when locked, fades on when doors are opened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogyman View Post
i wired mine directly to the dome light. i ran the wires up the pillar under the headliner and into the dome light. it has its own inline fuse but its still probably not the safest but works great for my use and fades off like the dome light when i lock the doors or start the truck. looks like it came from the factory that way!
No need to run them all the way to the roof. The dome ground wire can be located in the same location OP is using.
Old 11-06-2013, 12:26 PM   #9
Boogyman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoogyman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoogyman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoogyman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoogyman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoogyman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoogyman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoogyman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoogyman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoogyman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoogyman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Phoenix
Boogyman's Tacoma Gallery
yeah i kinda wish i had found this thread before doing all that but it wasn't really that much of a PIA
Old 11-06-2013, 12:35 PM   #10
SandMan, you mentioned you used the dimmer ground for the dome light, do you recall what color wire you tapped into?

last time I checked my dome light there was 3 wires
1. Blue
2. White.
3. I don't recall if it was black or white w/black stripe.
Old 11-06-2013, 12:46 PM   #11
LRGRNR
Sandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by avenger619 View Post
SandMan, you mentioned you used the dimmer ground for the dome light, do you recall what color wire you tapped into?

last time I checked my dome light there was 3 wires
1. Blue
2. White.
3. I don't recall if it was black or white w/black stripe.
I believe it's the Blue, check it with a meter. I'm trying to find the thread.

[Edit: It's the Blue one!]
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryde09 View Post
the power wire is a constantly powered 7.5A fused and is white, while the ground wire acts as the control line and is blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by borderbrat View Post
on weather the truck is on or not (up position)
off (middle position)
on automatically with the dome light.(down position)

and here is a basic wiring diagram to make things a little more clear
Old 11-06-2013, 12:53 PM   #12
Awesome! I appreciate everyone feedback on this.

Oh, before I forget last question, is inline fuse necessary? and what amp fuse to use? How about a tap a fuse type adapter to what fuse in cab fuse box?

Thanks
Old 11-06-2013, 12:58 PM   #13
LRGRNR

End, Sorry if this wasn't helpful to your intentions OP. I tried to provide links to the other threads to keep the confusion down.
Old 11-06-2013, 01:09 PM   #14
FNG
THNKTWCE will become famous soon enoughTHNKTWCE will become famous soon enough
THNKTWCE's Tacoma Gallery
Awesome!! Now I know what I will be doing next.