Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

Stock function of instrument panel lighting

Old 06-10-2011, 12:09 AM   #1
Southman is on a distinguished road
Southman's Tacoma Gallery
Stock function of instrument panel lighting

I searched first to see if this question, has been posted previously, but I don't think it has.

I have an 05 DC TRD O/R. I notice that the instrument lights are always on whenever the ignition switch is on, even though the truck does not have DRLs. When the parking lights and headlights are on an indicator on the dash that looks kind of like this * comes on. Finally, when the fog lights are on, there does not seem to be any indicator that they are on.

Is this the correct, or do I appear to have some type of electrical issue, as no vehicle that I have owned has ever:

1. lit the dashboard with the lights off without DRL
2. had fog lights on without an indicator light on either the dash or the switch.

Thanks
Old 06-10-2011, 01:26 AM   #2
UBIQUE
Highland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Canadian Army: Royal Canadian Artillery (Sgt, Ret.)
Name: Frank
Highland Logan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpack_5150 View Post
Why didn't toyota have an indicator for the fogs is beyond me.
Just a thought, but I imagine they assumed you would know they were on because you would be using fog lights in foggy low viability conditions. They are fog lights after all.

Frank
Old 06-10-2011, 05:01 AM   #3
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpack_5150 View Post
Sounds correct honestly........

U can use an aftermarket switch I suppose.......I agree, the fog switch should have some indication wether its on or off besides looking at the depth of the switch.

Ur locker and the foglight switch themselves should be lit, but ur right there's no indicator for the fogs.
I thought the dbl cabs had dtrl........they are the amber lights set on the innermost portion of the headlights that also function as blinkers iirc.

Take a look, I could be wrong.....I only have an access cab, and I just took a pain killer so I'm a lil cloudy.

The green * like indicator on ur dash that comes on with the headlights is the headlight indicator just like u assumed.

Why didn't toyota have an indicator for the fogs is beyond me.
Not all double cabs have DTRL, depends on the truck itself (and where in the country you bought it seems to play into it). My double cab does not have them but I have seen a few around here with them. The green indicator lets you know your headlights are on, and the instrument panel lights will dim when you turn them on also.
Old 06-10-2011, 10:47 AM   #4
Southman is on a distinguished road
Southman's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the info, I guess everything is working OK
Old 06-10-2011, 11:00 AM   #5
daggertats is just really nicedaggertats is just really nicedaggertats is just really nicedaggertats is just really nicedaggertats is just really nice
daggertats's Tacoma Gallery
your dash lights are fine.......i have a 2010 reg cab and mine does it too......i believe toyota did this because of the depth of the gauges. they are hard to see on cloudier days.
Old 06-10-2011, 11:03 AM   #6
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
The stock fog lights aren't even really fog lights anyway.