Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

2nd Gen LED Dash/Radio swap

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-03-2012, 12:16 PM   #1241
TACO's anyone???
damoihunta is on a distinguished road

damoihunta's Tacoma Gallery
Gauges and needles, paint the needles green with green LEDs. What kind of LEDs for 2012 tacoma? Where would I get the LEDs from and what is the number if you don't mind sharing? Desoldering pump necessary or just heat um up and remove? I like that one you did http://www.tacomaworld.com/gallery/s...289120/cat/500
Old 12-03-2012, 12:23 PM   #1242
No...me no have no more lemon pledge
Jerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Roderick
Jerez's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by damoihunta View Post
Gauges and needles, paint the needles green with green LEDs. What kind of LEDs for 2012 tacoma? Where would I get the LEDs from and what is the number if you don't mind sharing? Desoldering pump necessary or just heat um up and remove? I like that one you did http://www.tacomaworld.com/gallery/s...289120/cat/500
so in your case it would just be needles...because your background is already white
same leds as always the plcc2 theres a link on the first post for everything
its safer and more professional to use the pump to remove the solder and clean the pad...
so you want it to look like mine?
Old 12-05-2012, 12:55 AM   #1243
TACO's anyone???

What kind of solder? and how many LEDs for the entire cluster for a 2012? I haven't taken my dash apart yet, I've changed bulbs on my older truck that is now gone when they went out but not on my tacoma. My friend owns a stereo shop so I learn some stuff there. I got some strip LED's in my footwell already. Kind of want to change them all out. I'm a green freak so gonna eventually change all to green and wanted to do some other stuff too... when you paint the needles do you just use anykind of paint? scrape the orange paint? not sure what's behind there so any info would be helpful...I looked through about half the posts on your thread and will finish looking thru it all to get more info, any posts on a 2012 or what the circuit board look like? anyway awesome work dude, wish I was in Cali. No one in Hawaii does this... maybe I'll be the first.
thanks man, Jason
Old 12-05-2012, 10:38 AM   #1244
Jerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Jerez's Tacoma Gallery
I don't remember how many are in there in total...but
Background there's 8
Needles there's 5
But buy extras
There's someone out in Hawaii that does them...I can't remember his name tho
Old 12-05-2012, 03:05 PM   #1245
TACO's anyone???

I just saw that post last night I think his name is Toku, I Pm'd him last night but seems pretty simple, I think I should be able to pull it off. Thanks for the info, I'll let you know how it goes once I'm able to get the dash apart. So anykine of solder should work or should I use an alloy with a lower melting temp?
Thanks, Jason
Old 12-05-2012, 03:09 PM   #1246

Jerez's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I just saw that post last night I think his name is Toku, I Pm'd him last night but seems pretty simple, I think I should be able to pull it off. Thanks for the info, I'll let you know how it goes once I'm able to get the dash apart. So anykine of solder should work or should I use an alloy with a lower melting temp?
Thanks, Jason
sounds good
solder used is 60/40 with a rosin core...always make sure to keep the iron clean and not leave it too long on the pad just long enough to melt the old solder and take the led off
Old 12-06-2012, 08:52 PM   #1247
TACO's anyone???

Talking

will do...thanks for the advice, just ordered my LEDs, looking forward to doing this... I'll post some pics later. Thanks
Old 12-10-2012, 08:29 AM   #1248

Jerez's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
will do...thanks for the advice, just ordered my LEDs, looking forward to doing this... I'll post some pics later. Thanks
No prob let me know if anything
Old 12-10-2012, 07:32 PM   #1249
Policy Ninja
tango down is one of the sharper tools in the shedtango down is one of the sharper tools in the shedtango down is one of the sharper tools in the shedtango down is one of the sharper tools in the shedtango down is one of the sharper tools in the shedtango down is one of the sharper tools in the shedtango down is one of the sharper tools in the shedtango down is one of the sharper tools in the shedtango down is one of the sharper tools in the shedtango down is one of the sharper tools in the shedtango down is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: jeff
tango down's Tacoma Gallery
the only thing keeping me from sending my cluster to you is the 3-4 days of not driving my truck. I imagine you have to have the cluster plugged in to drive right? Odometer and all?

Is there a temporary cluster I could put in while you swap mine? I have a 2012.
Old 12-10-2012, 07:53 PM   #1250

Jerez's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tango down View Post
the only thing keeping me from sending my cluster to you is the 3-4 days of not driving my truck. I imagine you have to have the cluster plugged in to drive right? Odometer and all?

Is there a temporary cluster I could put in while you swap mine? I have a 2012.
You can drive around without...you just won't know your speed fuel ex.

I have extra dashes for that reason but shipping already is alot coming and going back...
Old 12-10-2012, 08:35 PM   #1251
r6hokie is a jewel in the roughr6hokie is a jewel in the roughr6hokie is a jewel in the rough
r6hokie's Tacoma Gallery
so does anyone have a video on how to get the guage cluster out? I scratched the clear plastic and need to replace it
Old 12-10-2012, 08:36 PM   #1252
I'm undefeated in the UFC.
PerfectTekniq is one of the sharper tools in the shedPerfectTekniq is one of the sharper tools in the shedPerfectTekniq is one of the sharper tools in the shedPerfectTekniq is one of the sharper tools in the shedPerfectTekniq is one of the sharper tools in the shedPerfectTekniq is one of the sharper tools in the shedPerfectTekniq is one of the sharper tools in the shedPerfectTekniq is one of the sharper tools in the shedPerfectTekniq is one of the sharper tools in the shedPerfectTekniq is one of the sharper tools in the shedPerfectTekniq is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Pepe Silvia
PerfectTekniq's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by r6hokie View Post
so does anyone have a video on how to get the guage cluster out? I scratched the clear plastic and need to replace it
http://www.customtacos.com/tech/index.php?article=225
Old 12-10-2012, 09:57 PM   #1253

Jerez's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by r6hokie View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectTekniq View Post
thanks man
Old 12-15-2012, 12:30 PM   #1254
TACO's anyone???

done!!!

Thanks for all the tips SoCal!!!
Attached Thumbnails
2nd Gen LED Dash/Radio swap-img_1472.jpg   2nd Gen LED Dash/Radio swap-img_1471.jpg  
Old 12-15-2012, 01:16 PM   #1255
2chains is one of the sharper tools in the shed2chains is one of the sharper tools in the shed2chains is one of the sharper tools in the shed2chains is one of the sharper tools in the shed2chains is one of the sharper tools in the shed2chains is one of the sharper tools in the shed2chains is one of the sharper tools in the shed2chains is one of the sharper tools in the shed2chains is one of the sharper tools in the shed2chains is one of the sharper tools in the shed2chains is one of the sharper tools in the shed

2chains's Tacoma Gallery
nice work really love the look of these...wish there was someone near me could do this...I'm scared I'd f something up doing it myself
Old 12-15-2012, 04:43 PM   #1256

Jerez's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Thanks for all the tips SoCal!!!
wow full green looks pretty good

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2chains View Post
nice work really love the look of these...wish there was someone near me could do this...I'm scared I'd f something up doing it myself
you can always ship
Old 12-16-2012, 03:38 AM   #1257
TACO's anyone???

Little hard to see the needles, might switch them to white or maybe blue... Would blue lights be better than white with the needles painted blue or is the white LEDs good enough?
Old 12-16-2012, 10:49 AM   #1258

Jerez's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Little hard to see the needles, might switch them to white or maybe blue... Would blue lights be better than white with the needles painted blue or is the white LEDs good enough?
really? white or blue would be easier to read...did you paint the needles green or just strip them and left them clear?
Old 12-16-2012, 09:53 PM   #1259
TACO's anyone???

I did strip them and paint them green. I think white needles maybe easier to see. maybe silver or some chrome tape? Idk I ended up using some white bulbs for the speedo needles as I didn't have enough extra greens to do the two LEDs for the speedo needle... I ordered more green for some of the other ones so will get to it next week... thanks again, I feel a little more brave after doing these...
Old 12-17-2012, 08:49 AM   #1260

Jerez's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I did strip them and paint them green. I think white needles maybe easier to see. maybe silver or some chrome tape? Idk I ended up using some white bulbs for the speedo needles as I didn't have enough extra greens to do the two LEDs for the speedo needle... I ordered more green for some of the other ones so will get to it next week... thanks again, I feel a little more brave after doing these...
for sure, ill reply to your pm later tonight when i get near a computer...too long type out on my phone

Products Discussed in this Thread