Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

PIAA 510 HID Conversion

Old 09-03-2011, 02:17 AM   #21
amadougrand is on a distinguished road

amadougrand's Tacoma Gallery
Looks like a winner to me. Very Nice write up and something I now want to do.

Since you had a closer look in one, maybe you can give me your opinion concerning the shield: 1) What is the purpose of the shield; too push the light back off the reflector and focus the beam more? 2) Would it be beneficial to have the shield or a modified version of it still in the light? 3) The 510 comes in Driving and Fog; is this just a different bulb/lens/reflector or is it a different shield?

Thanks again for the idiot proof write up; wish they were all this clear.

MW
Old 09-23-2011, 04:06 PM   #22
JLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
JLink's Tacoma Gallery
im doing mine right now. they are the "ATP" pattern. they DO NOT have those rivets and inner piece. I just removed the stock bulbs and am now ready to install the hid bulbs.
Old 09-23-2011, 04:23 PM   #23
Famous Fabrication
DWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derek
DWreck's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLink View Post
im doing mine right now. they are the "ATP" pattern. they DO NOT have those rivets and inner piece. I just removed the stock bulbs and am now ready to install the hid bulbs.
Lucky!

I'm actually glad mine had the rivets and I had to drill. Yes, they are susceptible to water, but on the other hand, all the heat generated now has a place to go!
Old 09-23-2011, 09:19 PM   #24
JLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JLink's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWreck View Post
Lucky!

I'm actually glad mine had the rivets and I had to drill. Yes, they are susceptible to water, but on the other hand, all the heat generated now has a place to go!
Yea I sealed the shit outta mine when I put them back together.

Does the back of your bulb push the gasket out a little bit? Mine the front is really close to the lens and the back pushes the gasket out just a little.
Old 09-23-2011, 09:23 PM   #25
Famous Fabrication
DWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DWreck's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yea I sealed the shit outta mine when I put them back together.

Does the back of your bulb push the gasket out a little bit? Mine the front is really close to the lens and the back pushes the gasket out just a little.
The gasket should fit around back of bulb and fit tightly in hole. If its not, your hole may not be perfect. I noticed mine was offset just a hair and didn't fit quite as well as other. Also, make sure the wires are pulled tight through seal and not bunched up between it and bulb.
Old 09-23-2011, 09:30 PM   #26

JLink's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
The gasket should fit around back of bulb and fit tightly in hole. If its not, your hole may not be perfect. I noticed mine was offset just a hair and didn't fit quite as well as other. Also, make sure the wires are pulled tight through seal and not bunched up between it and bulb.
yea the hole is right.. even if you set the housing next to it to see how tall the bulb is compared to where the hole is, the back of the bulb was still taller than it.

whatever.. it worked. And thanks again for posting this thread!! +1!!
Old 09-23-2011, 09:32 PM   #27
ride BMX!
littledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
littledvl's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Mine are the same way.
Old 09-23-2011, 09:33 PM   #28
Famous Fabrication

DWreck's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
yea the hole is right.. even if you set the housing next to it to see how tall the bulb is compared to where the hole is, the back of the bulb was still taller than it.

whatever.. it worked. And thanks again for posting this thread!! +1!!
Correct! The bulb sticks out the back of the housing but is the bulb centered in the hole you drilled? That's what I meant by "offset".
Old 09-23-2011, 09:37 PM   #29

JLink's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Correct! The bulb sticks out the back of the housing but is the bulb centered in the hole you drilled? That's what I meant by "offset".
oh yea. I test fit the back with the bulb wires coming through the hole. its pretty well centered.
Old 09-23-2011, 09:44 PM   #30
ride BMX!
littledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Another question, anyone have any issues with there ddm kit?

My drivers side fog dosnt come on but maybe once in 20 tries and even then it dosnt heat up to yellow, just stays greenish. Worked great for a month or so.

Iv tried calling ddm multiple times with no answers.. Havnt been using my fogs latly
Old 09-23-2011, 09:52 PM   #31
Famous Fabrication

DWreck's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by littledvl View Post
Another question, anyone have any issues with there ddm kit?

My drivers side fog dosnt come on but maybe once in 20 tries and even then it dosnt heat up to yellow, just stays greenish. Worked great for a month or so.

Iv tried calling ddm multiple times with no answers.. Havnt been using my fogs latly
Yeah! Many have had issues with DDM. I sold my stock HIDs and the guy who got em had same problem, only green. I contacted DDM and they sent me an email with instructions on what to do. I will try to find it. PM me your email so I can forward if I find it.
Old 10-04-2011, 11:46 AM   #32
davidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: David
davidpick's Tacoma Gallery
subbed, thanks for the great write-up! i just placed my order for some 3000k HID bulbs/ballasts.
Old 10-26-2011, 11:57 AM   #33
nofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Patrick
nofords08's Tacoma Gallery
uhm maybe i missed it, but whats the bulb size? i'm getting mine friday lol
Old 10-26-2011, 01:18 PM   #34
ride BMX!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofords08 View Post
uhm maybe i missed it, but whats the bulb size? i'm getting mine friday lol
H3
Old 07-11-2012, 10:21 PM   #35
Famous Fabrication

DWreck's Tacoma Gallery
Just thought I'd bump this. It's been a while.
Old 12-27-2012, 12:28 PM   #36
Famous Fabrication

DWreck's Tacoma Gallery
With the weather upon us, I felt this needed a bump.
Old 05-21-2013, 12:51 PM   #38
Famous Fabrication

DWreck's Tacoma Gallery
Long time no bump! Been long time now (almost 2 years) and still loving this mod!
Old 01-10-2014, 12:38 PM   #39
trexgrrr is on a distinguished road
trexgrrr's Tacoma Gallery
I have the 510 ions and noticed that instead of the bulbs being yellow, the inside of the lens is tinted. With that being said, I'm afraid of fishing for the shield and risking scratching the tint.

With that being said, has anyone simply drilled a hole through the shield (seems to be soft metal) to let the HID bulb slide through? I feel like this would also give the light a beam and spot pattern.
Old 01-10-2014, 12:57 PM   #40
Famous Fabrication

DWreck's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by trexgrrr View Post
I have the 510 ions and noticed that instead of the bulbs being yellow, the inside of the lens is tinted. With that being said, I'm afraid of fishing for the shield and risking scratching the tint.

With that being said, has anyone simply drilled a hole through the shield (seems to be soft metal) to let the HID bulb slide through? I feel like this would also give the light a beam and spot pattern.
Mine were also he Ions, No issues.

P.S. Thanks for bringing this old thread back to life...