1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

R.I. 30" LED Light Bar

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by elblako91, Jul 18, 2011.

1. Jul 22, 2011 at 2:17 AM
    LovesDunes

LovesDunes Member

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    1997 Ford F-350
    A Lot
    Everyone has their opinions on who makes the brightest LED light bar. Rigid, Baja Designs or Vision X. All of the LED light bars will give you lots of flood to light up the area in front of your vehicle. But I have yet to see a LED light that will project as far as the Rigid lights do.

Like all LED light bars you can buy them in different light patterns. If you are more concerned with just a flood type pattern, any of the three will do. If you are wanting to project and flood then the Rigid light is your best bet.

The Rigid E-Series ships with a combination of Spot and Flood reflectors...

[​IMG]

But can be configured to give you more flood if more flood is needed...
    [​IMG]

The Vision X light offers a great amount of flood with their standard LED light but not much projection...
    [​IMG]

For some awesome lighting, a combination of LEDs and HIDs is just about impossible to beat. You get the flood from the LEDs and the projection from the HIDs...
    [​IMG]

For anyone looking to buy an LED light, you should be aware that the market is flooded with Vision X knock offs. The people selling them will tell you that the lights they are selling are just as bright as the Vision X light or even the Rigid light. But they are not...

[​IMG]

If that is bright enough for you then you can save some money by getting the China lights.

2. Jul 22, 2011 at 2:24 AM
    WhatThePho?

WhatThePho? Greg Graffin 2016

Member:
    First Name:
    Andre
    HCMC, VN
    Vehicle:
    2006 STi
    The things required to pull bitches
    If you do get another led bar. I woul do led on bumper for close up and hid spots/euros on the roof for far range.

3. Jul 22, 2011 at 7:12 AM
    elblako91

elblako91 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    Lubbock/Houston/Katy
    Vehicle:
    1992 Toyo Pickup
    Exactly what i plan on doing. Led on the bumper and some pencils on the roof.

4. Jul 22, 2011 at 7:13 AM
    elblako91

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    Lubbock/Houston/Katy
    Vehicle:
    1992 Toyo Pickup
    Thanks lovesdunes for thew info. Helped me clear a few things up.

5. Jul 22, 2011 at 7:14 AM
    elblako91

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    Lubbock/Houston/Katy
    Vehicle:
    1992 Toyo Pickup
    Also lovesdunes can i expect the same output with the white light as with the amber that i have currently or can i expect more?

6. Jul 22, 2011 at 10:29 AM
    LovesDunes

LovesDunes Member

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    1997 Ford F-350
    A Lot
    You will get more light. You will be much more happy with the white light.

Now let me really mix things up. You are going to be using the light to fill in the area right in front of the truck. Rigid has their new SR series out that will do a better job of that and will save you some money since they are not as expensive as the E-Series. I don't have any pictures of those yet.

And to save you even more money, you could use the Rigid Dually D2. A small package but lots of light.

Here is a 10" Spot...
    [​IMG]

Now here is a single Dually D2...
    [​IMG]

A pair of those might be enough for you.

7. Jul 22, 2011 at 10:34 AM
    elblako91

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    Lubbock/Houston/Katy
    Vehicle:
    1992 Toyo Pickup
    Thanks loves for all your help. I ended up exchanging it for a white one. Im looking for something to light ahead and towards the sides of my rig. I already have some hella micro DE's retrofitted with 3k that do a good job of filling in the gap between my headlights and the truck. I will report back once the white one comes in. Thanks again for the help

-Blake

8. Jul 22, 2011 at 12:23 PM
    LovesDunes

LovesDunes Member

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    1997 Ford F-350
    A Lot
    Not a problem. Let me know if you have any more questions.

9. Jul 22, 2011 at 8:07 PM
    theghost

theghost Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    white
    I question what "competing" LED bars you are using in your comparison testing...

For instance, are you using 10 or 3 watt LEDs? Have you done any research on the "Prime Drive" Technology currently being distributed by VisonX?

How many Lumens (the proper unit of measurement for light output) does a 30" Rigid E-Series bar produce? The answer, 10,800 on 8.67amps. A 30" VisionX Evo Prime will draw over 15,000 while only taking a consistant 15amps of energy draw, the beauty of prime drive technology, getting the most out of each LED.

Rigid makes a solid product, I will not argue that but there are far superior options for around the same cost in the VisionX line. Also, VisionX lights can be ordered in any custom light pattern, such as 40* on the outers and 20* on the inners allowing for maximum possible coverage.

10. Jul 22, 2011 at 9:03 PM
    elblako91

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    Lubbock/Houston/Katy
    Vehicle:
    1992 Toyo Pickup
    I agree with you but the amount of power each LED puts out is not the only factor in how much light the light bar puts out. A lot has to do with the design of the reflector. You can put a powerful LED in a crappy reflector housing and it will not perform the same as a lower power LED in a better quality housing.

11. Jul 23, 2011 at 1:39 AM
    LovesDunes

LovesDunes Member

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    1997 Ford F-350
    A Lot
    Exactly. The Vision X light pictures are of the Xmitter. They are 3watt LEDs running at 3watts. The Rigid light is using 3watt LEDs running at 1.8watts. Almost half the power and more light. It's all about the optics. Vision X uses collimators to focus their light. Rigid uses an actual reflector.

I tried to get Vision X to come out and join in on the picture taking with their new stuff. They wern't interested.

I've seen the Prime stuff by Vision X. As usual, lots of good flood but not enough projection. It's an optics thing. Putting a collimator in front of an LED is not going to help the LED project like a reflector does.

As far as lumens go it's not the greatest way to advertise how bright the lights are. Lumens is the amount of light that is available. The 10watt LEDs Vision X uses, when you add them all up for the 30" light is 15,480 lumens. That's great. But that is right at the LEDs. The last time I was hauling ass at night I wasn't too worried about how bright my lights were at the light source. I want to see further down the road. So although the Prime 30" has an impresive advertised lumens output. That really doesn't equate to much.

In the pictures above the 42" Vision-X Xmitter is rated at 14400 lumens. The 40" Rigid E-Series is rated at 14400 lumens. It's pretty easy to see what light is brighter.

12. Jul 23, 2011 at 2:05 AM
    WhatThePho?

WhatThePho? Greg Graffin 2016

Member:
    First Name:
    Andre
    HCMC, VN
    Vehicle:
    2006 STi
    The things required to pull bitches
    What kind of led do these led bars use? I wonder if anyone ever thought of putting a different led into the lights. Like a Cree xm-l or a xr-e

13. Jul 23, 2011 at 2:19 PM
    Trifenix

Trifenix Well-Known Member

Member:
    so cal
    Vehicle:
    99 LT 5 lug Taco
    most likely luxeon or cree for more expensive ones.

14. Jul 23, 2011 at 4:39 PM
    theghost

theghost Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    white
    To each his own I suppose

I will leave you potential buyers with this, there is a reason that the worlds best off road drivers trust VisionX for their lighting needs, BJ Baldwin, Roger Norman, Riot Racing, Householder Motorsports, Jesse Jones among others and those are just the Trophy Truck teams. An LED bar is an expensive addition, be sure you are getting the most for your money.

http://visionxsuperstore.com/

15. Jul 23, 2011 at 4:46 PM
    rcbs204

rcbs204 Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    Im gonna build one of these, cant be that hard. I order ten 10 watt leds that are each capable of 800 lumens each. I'll let you guys know my results.

16. Jul 23, 2011 at 5:15 PM
    stunt man hans

stunt man hans DISPLACED VIKING LIVING IN WYOMING

Member:
    First Name:
    Hans
    LIVE FREE OR DIE
    Vehicle:
    2015 AEV RAM 3500
    FULL AEV PROSPECTOR KIT++
    see what i said... the only ones i have not seen in person are the baja design they look very nice to me as well taco vendor has one on his reg cab thats wicked bright!

but in a head on comparison between vision-x and rigid vision-x wins hands down but, maybe i'm blind:confused:

17. Jul 23, 2011 at 5:41 PM
    uscg2008

uscg2008 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    coby
    San Diego, CA originally from Huntington Beach, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 trd sr5 four door 4x4
    CLICK ON SIGNATURE>>>>
    a lot of good info on here. think im deff gana get me a 20in one hahahahh no homo and mount it on an Avid offroad light bar.

18. Jul 23, 2011 at 5:50 PM
    elblako91

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    Lubbock/Houston/Katy
    Vehicle:
    1992 Toyo Pickup
    I've read on a couple of places on the web that these LED bars are able to be dimmed. Can someone explain more? All I've gathered is that when they are on verge of overheating they have a failsafe and automatically dim to save the LED's. Does anyone know if you can manually dim the light?

19. Jul 23, 2011 at 5:53 PM
    Mike330R

Mike330R Well-Known Member

Member:
    Far West Phoenix
    Vehicle:
    '16 DC Offroad w/ stuff
    Side by side and in the pictures the rigid looks brighter. Can you give us facts what makes VisionX better?

20. Jul 23, 2011 at 5:59 PM
    rcbs204

rcbs204 Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    Usually dimmable LEDs are driven by whats called a Buck puck, the RI LED bars make there own circuitry. I have seen the inside of the RI bars, and can tell you they are using FET's, which can be dimmed. LED's like lasers have a threshold voltage, where they no longer produce light at low voltage. The higher the wattage led the higher the threshold. That being said, all LED's are dimmable, just depends on the driver that is being used.

Products Discussed in

To Top