Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

Need Help: HID retrofit - High beam works, but low beam doesn't

Old 07-20-2011, 11:54 AM   #1
MupxMup is on a distinguished road
MupxMup's Tacoma Gallery
Need Help: HID retrofit - High beam works, but low beam doesn't

Just install some some retrofit projector headlight, but it doesn't work. It does light up when I put it in high beam.

I have the retrofit source relay harness, the denso ballasts and fx projector.

Any clue why it doesn't work?
Old 07-20-2011, 11:57 AM   #2
horwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Seth
horwitzs's Tacoma Gallery
I don't know much about HIDs so I might be talking out of my ass here; sorry in advance, somebody can correct me.

HIDs are a gas filled bulb, with no filament, basically like a very tiny neon sign tube that is filled with Xenon gas. Therefore there is no such thing as a dual filament HID bulb that works for both high and low beam; it's either one or the other.
Don't you need a headlight setup with separate bulbs to run both high and low HIDs, and of course separate ballasts and stuff for each pair?

EDIT: Ah, shit. I didn't notice at first that you did switch to a projector setup. Is that the retrofit that still uses a single projector in place of the stock light, or does it have dual projectors?
Old 07-20-2011, 11:59 AM   #3
nofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Patrick
nofords08's Tacoma Gallery
its a projector retro fit, all the high beam is is a different cutoff that rotates into position
Old 07-20-2011, 12:00 PM   #4
I KEEEEEL YOU
Burgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Stephen
Burgman's Tacoma Gallery
the retrofits have a metal tab that moves up and down to allow a low beam and high beam... there should be two wires coming out of the back of the projectors that need to be wired in doesnt matter which one is hot and which one is ground

check those wire first if the lights are coming on
Old 07-20-2011, 12:04 PM   #6
MupxMup is on a distinguished road
MupxMup's Tacoma Gallery
called MAtt at retrofit.

Apparently the little sheet they sent out with the relay harness is wrong. Going to which the wiring up
Old 07-20-2011, 12:10 PM   #7
horwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Seth
horwitzs's Tacoma Gallery
I'm glad you guys are familiar with the retrofit... Obviously I should have kept my mouth shut!