1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

LED Bed Lights With Dash Control Switch

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Scooter, Jul 23, 2011.

1. Jul 23, 2011 at 12:08 AM
    Scooter

Scooter [OP] Canadian Member

Member:
    Manitoba, Canada
    Vehicle:
    08 Double Cab TRD Sport Short Box
    Pop n Lock Power Tailgate Lock, Bak Flip Tonneau Cover, Factory DLR installed, Defrost with A/C Off, EZ Down Tailgate Damper, Code Alarm Security System with Remote Starter, Rear Spring TSB, Ming rust proofing & paint treatment, 3M fabric protector, Cargo Mat, Scanguage II, DYI Illuminated 4X4 Switch, Versa-Gate box extender & cargo divider, Toyota Roof Rails, Grom USB Audio adapter with bluetooth, LED Bed lights, OEM Backup Camera with LCD Display Mirror
    Okay, I know this was done before, but I thought I'd post how I did mine. The LEDs light up whenever the tailgate is opened, and there is a switch in the dash that operates like the dome light switch. I flip the switch up, and the LEDs come on independant of the tailgate position. The centre position keeps the LEDs off at all times. Flip the switch down, and the LEDs turn on whenever the tailgate is opened. There is also a pilot light on the switch that that lights whenever the LEDs are on. Here's the basic circuit.

Bed Lights.jpg
    The schematic does not show the pilot light, and only one LED strip, but the second LED and the pilot light are wired in parallel to the first LED strip.

I found a 12 V source in the main fuse box under the hood. It's circled in red in the picture.

IMG00097-20110714-1659-circle.jpg

I connected an in-line fuse holder to it. I didn't insert a fuse until I was completely finished. I used a crimp-on spade connector. I left the fuse holder inside the fuse box and fished the wire from the fuse box out of a hole drilled in the side of the fuse box.
    IMG00098-20110714-1721.jpg

I then soldered a wire to the wire from the fuse holder, and used heat shrink to wrap it up.
    IMG00102-20110714-1743.jpg

I found a plug in the firewall right behind the brake master cylinder.

Firewall.jpg

I pulled out the plug, replaced it with a gommet and fished the wire from the fuse holder inside the cab.IMG00100-20110714-1731.jpg

I covered up the wire with plastic wire loom.IMG00108-20110714-2000.jpg

IMG00109-20110714-2000.jpg

I left the wire in the cab, and proceeded to work in the box. I removed the two cubby holes from both sides of the box.IMG00110-20110714-2027.jpg

I tried pulling up and out as suggested by others here on TW, but still broke the bottom 2 clips on both cubby boxes. I noticed the boxes were also held in by double sided foam mounting tape, so when I later reinstalled them, that's what I used. The picture below shows one of the broken clips.IMG00112-20110714-2028.jpg

I used two flexible, weather proof, self adhesive LED strips I found at a local electronics store. The LED strips are rated 12 V.IMG00116-20110714-2112.jpg

I stuck the strip under the box rails on each side. The picture below was taken after I hadfinished the install, so the LEDs were on.IMG00124-20110715-2303.jpg

I then fished a pair of wires from the right cubby hole to the left cubby holen and another pair from the left cubby hole to the cab. At the left cubby hole, I crimpped the two pairs of wires together in a parallel circuit fashion to spade connectors. I used a female connector for the positive, and a male connector for the negative.
    IMG00123-20110715-2302.jpg

I routed the wire into the cab through a rubber gromet under the driver's seat. IMG00117-20110714-2133.jpg

I wrapped it up in wire loom, and tie-wrapped it to the frame.IMG00119-20110714-2145.jpg

I installed a pin switch at the back of the box which will be pressed when the tailgate closes. I ran the wire to the cab in a similar manner.IMG00122-20110715-2236.jpg

In the cab, the wires from the box ran under the carpet, under the door sill, behind the kick panel to the dash. I crimpped the positive wire from the LEDs and the positive wire from the fuse box together using a female connector, and connected the two wires to the rocker switch terminal for the pilot lamp. I then connected the negative wire from the LEDs to the common terminal of the switch. I connected the up terminal (the terminal that is connected to the common terminal when the switch is in the up position) to a ground on the body of the truck, and I connected the down terminal to the wire from the pin switch.Switch.jpg

I installed the switch in one of the blank spaces on the dash. I got the switch at a local auto parts store. I had to use a dremel tool to trim the hole in the dash to make the switch fit.IMG00121-20110715-2236.jpg

I put a 7.5 A fuse into the fuse holder, and now, I have cargo lights that operates when the tailgate is down, or when I switch them on from the switch in the cab.
    IMG00129-20110715-2328.jpg

IMG00130-20110715-2329.jpg

Last edited: Feb 5, 2014
    BluLED, Tex-Tac and Arkie-Marty like this.
  2. Jul 23, 2011 at 3:26 PM
    Scooter

Member:
    Manitoba, Canada
    Vehicle:
    Pop n Lock Power Tailgate Lock, Bak Flip Tonneau Cover, Factory DLR installed, Defrost with A/C Off, EZ Down Tailgate Damper, Code Alarm Security System with Remote Starter, Rear Spring TSB, Ming rust proofing & paint treatment, 3M fabric protector, Cargo Mat, Scanguage II, DYI Illuminated 4X4 Switch, Versa-Gate box extender & cargo divider, Toyota Roof Rails, Grom USB Audio adapter with bluetooth, LED Bed lights, OEM Backup Camera with LCD Display Mirror
    Okay, I finally finished my write-up with lots of pictures on installing LED bed lights. I know it was done before, but I thought I'd show how I did it so the lights come on when the gate is opened, and is also controlled by a switch on the dash. What do you guys think?

BluLED likes this.
  3. Jul 23, 2011 at 7:04 PM
    Bill in Ky

Bill in Ky Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Bright White 08 Reg 4X4 2.7 5spd SR5
    I got my first 4x4 in 1972...haven't been without one! I still like Chrome!
    Very nice write up, easy to understand and great pictures.
    One question I have, is the 12V source you found hot all the time, even when the key is not in the ignition. Or when is it hot?
    Thanks, Bill

4. Jul 23, 2011 at 7:08 PM
    flyzeye designs

flyzeye designs Revised Company Logo

Member:
    First Name:
    Darren
    Mesa, AZ
    Vehicle:
    double-cab long-bed 4X4 debadged TRD Sport
    6 inch lift, tinted windows, custom tail lights, custom Red/White/Red-Black FLYZEYE Designs TCMA-0513 V2W interior light Custom Powder-Coated Devil Horns by Andres
    Very nicely done! Great write-up.

5. Jul 24, 2011 at 12:37 AM
    Scooter

Member:
    Manitoba, Canada
    Vehicle:
    Thanks!

Yes, it is hot all the time, even when the key is not in the ignition.

6. Jul 24, 2011 at 12:37 AM
    Scooter

Member:
    Manitoba, Canada
    Vehicle:
    Thanks!

7. Jul 24, 2011 at 12:36 PM
    Scalded_Dawg

Scalded_Dawg Not as new as my post count would appear

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    Yorktown, VA
    Vehicle:
    Stripped Steel and Sex Appeal
    Tacoma daily and 4Runner to play
    Where did you find the pin switch for the tailgate? And which parts store for the cab switch?
    Really like your detail in this write-up. Thanks!

8. Jul 24, 2011 at 7:24 PM
    Scooter

Member:
    Manitoba, Canada
    Vehicle:
    The rocker switch was purchased at Princess Auto. It's a store in Western Canada, and it sells all sorts of cheap hardware. The rocker switch cost $2, and was the last one on the shelf. The pin switch was from an audio shop that installs alarm systems. Sorry I can't help you any more on the source of the parts. They were parts I sort of stumbled upon. I'm sure you can search eBay for switches. Good luck.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  9. Oct 31, 2011 at 7:46 PM
    2chains

2chains Well-Known Member

Member:
    Calgary, Alberta
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma DC LB 3" Revtek lift
    3" Revtek lift, k&n 63-9025 intake, tailgate debadge, OEM Bed mat, decals gone. helo black max 6 bs 4.5 os-12,duratrac 285 70 17,smittybilt light bar, kc slimlites, pioneer pb3300 bt, window tint, weathertech digfits, raider lorider elite tonneau, at2525xl,
    scooter, great write up, thanks for posting. I plan on doing this soon!

10. Nov 1, 2011 at 7:21 AM
    Scooter

Member:
    Manitoba, Canada
    Vehicle:
    Thanks! No more moping around in the dark. I used to keep a flashlight in one of the cubby holes in the box, until the batteries froze in the winter. Good luck with the mod, and let us know how it turns out.

11. Feb 5, 2012 at 11:07 AM
    Iclim.Brock

Iclim.Brock New Member

Member:
    [​IMG]

Wouldn't you want the tailgate pin switch to be on the 'tailgate' branch of the circuit to ground off of the SPDT switch? :confused:

12. Feb 5, 2012 at 11:46 AM
    Norton

Norton Senior Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    2013 Access Cab 4x4 V6 6MT, TRD OR & Tow Packages
    Magnuson S/C w/12TRDTacoma's Qwikchange Hub & 2.5" RIP-Modded Pulley, Roostfactor's Pulley Wrap Mod; FPR Mod; JustDSM Tune via HPT MPVI2; mightytacoman Intercooler Tank; aFe POWER Magnum FLOW Pro DRY S Air Filter; OME Suspension Lift (885 Coils, Dakar Leafs, NitroCharger Sports); TRD Quickshifter w/TRD 6-Spd Knob; TRD Exhaust; NSB-AGM27F Battery w/HKB Adjustable Voltage Booster & Coupe's TRD Battery Hold Down; Goodridge SS Brake Lines; Trident904's MT ADM; BFG All-Terrain T/A KO2s on FJ SE Anthracite Rims; N-Fab 6-Step Nerf Bars; BPF TRD Skid, Tow Hook, & Cooling Panel; jsi's Locker Anytime, Up2NoGood's 2Lo Module; ramonortiz55's Always on Power Outlet Relay, ND4's Fog Light Anytime, & Crom's Speed Bleeder Mods; crashnburn80's Ultimate Headlight & Fog Light Upgrades; ThreatLevelMidnight's Wireless Charger; 4Runner 4X4 & FJ Fog Light Switches; redtaco2007-inspired LED License Plate Lights; AudioControl LC2i LOC, JL Audio XD200/2v2 Amp, Focal PS165V1 Spkrs, Sound Ordnance B-8PTD Sub, Hushmat & Noico Sound Insulation; loginfailed-inspired Speedhut Boost & AFR Gauges in a Lotek Pillar Pod; Ltd Auto-Dim/Compass/Temp/Backup Camera/Homelink mirror on ImMrYo's Mirror Lift Bracket; TacomaBeast Glove Box & Console Organizers; Husky Floor Liners; UltraGauge EM; mesojdm's Ultimate LED Dome & Map Lights & GASSHOLE; Redline Tuning QuickLIFT Elite; Mobtown Offroad Locking Bed Storage Doors; Toyota Bed Mat; Cali Raised Led Bed Stiffeners; Pop & Lock Power Tailgate Lock w/TacomaTruckParts Support Bracket; ARE Z-Series Cap, SolarGard Tint; BlendMounted & MirrorTapped Uniden R3; CravenSpeed Stubby Antenna; Amsoil Lubricants; Adam's Detailing Supplies
    Yes. Based on OP's description of how his setup works, the "Tailgate" and "On" labels are reversed.

13. Feb 5, 2012 at 1:42 PM
    Fractured

Fractured FPS-a-holic

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    NOR*Cal
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM DCSB 4x4
    TRD wheels, TRD cat back exhaust, ScanGauge 2, Debadged, Avid sliders, UWS bed box w/automatic LED light, Led Interior/Reverse/Lic. Plate lights, Yellow Fogs, Flyzeye Light, Color matched grill, Rearview mirror relocate bracket, Power Sliding rear window, Plasti-dipped bumper/"T" emblem
    great write up! +rep

14. Feb 5, 2012 at 3:16 PM
    NC15TRD

NC15TRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    PA
    Vehicle:
    16 Sierra SLT All Terrain
    Readylift, Truxedo, Husky Liners, Carven
    Subbed

15. Apr 24, 2012 at 6:36 AM
    Scooter

Member:
    Manitoba, Canada
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for pointing that out. It was a labeling error. I deleted the wrong schematic, and replaced it with the correct one. Good call! :thumbsup:

BluLED likes this.
  16. Apr 24, 2012 at 6:37 AM
    Scooter

Member:
    Manitoba, Canada
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for the rep!:)

17. Apr 25, 2012 at 5:31 PM
    YotaComa22

YotaComa22 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Auburn, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD SPORT
    3" ToyTec Lift kit with ultra Goliath wheels and general grabber tires for now.
    great write up....I just bought led strips for the bed of my truck and this helps big time in hooking them up.....Thanks.....

18. Apr 25, 2012 at 5:34 PM
    blackhawke88

blackhawke88 wo ai ni bao bei ^_^

Member:
    SGV, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Offroad
    :popcorn:

on my to do list

19. Apr 27, 2012 at 12:53 PM
    bluefish

bluefish overkill is underrated

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Boston
    Vehicle:
    chitbox
    thanks for the great write up :thumbsup:

20. May 10, 2012 at 4:36 AM
    CantSitStill

CantSitStill Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    FTR
    CNY
    This is why I LOVE this forum. I decided that I wanted lights in my bed, under the cap, BUT I wanted them on a pin switch to come on with the gate open, OR on /off from the cab.

Search

BOOM

EXACTLY what I want to do. Detailed install WITH pics.
    THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BluLED and Manfred like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top