Delta00's 2002 Tacoma 4WD

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

Bed Light Install Questions

Old 07-30-2011, 08:41 AM   #1
Nick54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick54 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: E5 Machinist Mate - USS Downes San Diego Cal.
Name: Nick
Nick54's Tacoma Gallery
Bed Light Install Sanity Check - little help please

I am preparing to install these lights under my bed rails:

I want them to activate in two ways, first from this tailgate switch:

Then from this dash mounted switch:

The back of this switch has three connections 1 is power in, 2 is power out, 3 is ground for switch indicating light

Power will be provided from this fuse tap:

Can this be done using the two switches I am showing? and if so, how would it be wired? If not what needs to be changed to make it happen?

I took a shot at this diagram, tell me where the error(s) in circuitry are if there are any

Thanks in advance for the help.
Old 07-30-2011, 08:26 PM   #2
marksanctuary is on a distinguished road

marksanctuary's Tacoma Gallery
The wiring diagram makes since. I wonder if the dash switch will illuminate when the tailgate activates the circuit.

Side note, what are the details on these lights? I would like to look at getting some too.
Old 07-31-2011, 06:23 PM   #5
UMBCrew is a glorious beacon of lightUMBCrew is a glorious beacon of lightUMBCrew is a glorious beacon of lightUMBCrew is a glorious beacon of lightUMBCrew is a glorious beacon of lightUMBCrew is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Nic
UMBCrew's Tacoma Gallery
I'm no expert but it looks like circuit might be ok I would suggest a relay after the switches and before the lights so that the switches them selves don't have to take the entire load. Maybe someone could back me up on that and provide some more info for you.
Old 07-31-2011, 06:31 PM   #6
rcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

rcbs204's Tacoma Gallery
Your schematic looks ok, i am wondering, if you want the switch to be the master though? What i mean by that, do you want the switch on the dash to be able to control the lights regardless of tailgate switch?

Edit, never mind, that is what you have drawn. And no it will not burn down your truck, LEDs are the safest illumination available.
Old 07-31-2011, 06:37 PM   #7
rcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

rcbs204's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by UMBCrew View Post
I'm no expert but it looks like circuit might be ok I would suggest a relay after the switches and before the lights so that the switches them selves don't have to take the entire load. Maybe someone could back me up on that and provide some more info for you.
No need for a relay, the load for LED's is 0.25ma they look like PLCC leds. These pre-fabricate led bars have current limiting resistors built in.
Old 07-31-2011, 10:33 PM   #9
UMBCrew is a glorious beacon of lightUMBCrew is a glorious beacon of lightUMBCrew is a glorious beacon of lightUMBCrew is a glorious beacon of lightUMBCrew is a glorious beacon of lightUMBCrew is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Nic
UMBCrew's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick54 View Post
Do you think it would be best to connect to constant power or acc. power?
Being in the bed I would personally connect to constant.
Old 08-03-2011, 07:19 PM   #11
Not as new as my post count would appear
Scalded_Dawg has much to be proud ofScalded_Dawg has much to be proud ofScalded_Dawg has much to be proud ofScalded_Dawg has much to be proud ofScalded_Dawg has much to be proud ofScalded_Dawg has much to be proud ofScalded_Dawg has much to be proud ofScalded_Dawg has much to be proud ofScalded_Dawg has much to be proud ofScalded_Dawg has much to be proud of

Air Force: Once a B-1 Mechanic, now upper Management
Name: Brent
Scalded_Dawg's Tacoma Gallery
Also check out this thread... Bed Lights with tail gate switch
This OP does something very similar.
Old 08-03-2011, 09:56 PM   #13
Indffrnce will be the fall of manknd but who cares
Drunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Retribution
Drunknsloth's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick54 View Post
What's the advantage or difference between placing the lights after the switches in the circuit (as I have drawn the circuit) or before the switches (as this guy drew the circuit below)?

His wiring allows the lights to turn on when the switch is turned to the tailgate position and the tailgate pin switch is activated, or always of, or always on with the switch with less wiring. If you wanted the tailgate pin switch before the leds with the spdt switch you would need more wires. If that makes sense