Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

How to turn instrument cluster lights off?

Old 08-01-2011, 07:52 PM   #1
JeffreyC is on a distinguished road
JeffreyC's Tacoma Gallery
How to turn instrument cluster lights off?

My 2006 Taco's instrument cluster lights are always on even when the headlight switch is off. This causes me to forget to turn the headlights on many times.

What specific modification do I need to make to to turn the instrument cluster lights off except when headlights or parking lights are on (like most vehicles are)?

Thanks,
Jeff
Old 08-01-2011, 08:04 PM   #3
theredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: AM1
Name: John
theredofshaw's Tacoma Gallery
when i open my door after shutting off the engine and removing the key, my headlights turn off on their own=no dead battery.

you can turn down the brightness on the left of your console on 2nd gens. it is a little wheel knob that you adjust.
Old 08-01-2011, 08:07 PM   #4
enjm10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedenjm10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedenjm10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedenjm10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedenjm10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedenjm10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedenjm10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedenjm10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedenjm10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedenjm10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedenjm10 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
enjm10's Tacoma Gallery
Headlights should turn off w key, mine do I have an 07.
Old 08-02-2011, 12:30 AM   #5
JeffreyC is on a distinguished road
JeffreyC's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the replies but none of them answered my question.

This is not a problem with the headlights turning off or a dead battery.

Maybe I didn't explain my problem clearly enough. When I start my '06 Tacoma and the engine is on, the dash lights are always on, regardless of whether or not I've switched on the headlights or not. I do not have daylight running lights.

This is problematic to me because in most cars I know if the lights are on or not by noticing if the dash lights are on, specifically when it starts getting darker outside.

Because of this odd functionality, I am frequently forgetting to turn on the headlights as it gets dark out since the dah lights are already on.

I know there's this miniature headlight indicator light in one of the gauges, but that's not as obvious.

My question is technical in nature: What specific electrical modification do I need to make so that the instrument cluster lights go on when I turn the headlights on and off when I turn the headlights off like most vehicles function?

Thanks, Jeff
Old 08-02-2011, 12:52 AM   #6
Do Work Son!
rossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
rossk35's Tacoma Gallery
You can't. Learn to look at the green indicator, leave the lights always on, or figure out how to turn the knob when it gets dark. If you can't do any of that...idk then
Old 08-02-2011, 11:40 AM   #7
ouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Royal Canadian Air Force: Mobile Support Equipment Operator
Name: Ryan
ouyin2000's Tacoma Gallery
Not to be rude, but this does sound like operator error. The headlight indicator symbol is green, as compared to the red/orange dash lights. It's kind of obvious as it gets darker to notice if the green light is on or not.

the only other suggestion I can give is study up on a wiring diagram. You might be able to pick up on something. I have not seen anyone else around here do this, but there are plenty of diagrams around. If you do figure it out, be sure to do a write up!
Old 08-02-2011, 11:44 AM   #8
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by ouyin2000 View Post
Not to be rude, but this does sound like operator error. The headlight indicator symbol is green, as compared to the red/orange dash lights. It's kind of obvious as it gets darker to notice if the green light is on or not.
Pretty much. It really isn't hard to tell that your lights aren't on. I guess no light in front of you vehicle isn't a dead give away.
Old 08-02-2011, 11:48 AM   #9
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Try searching for a wiring diagram. Someone posted one for our entire truck, if I find it i'll put up a link. I'd imagine it could be done with enough knowledge of the electrical system but would be PITA and require you to tear apart the entire dash. It'd take a relay that would only power the dash lights when the light switch is turned on.

Like others have said, just leave the lights on all the time, they turn off with the ignition and you'll never have to remember to turn them on again. Problem solved.
Old 08-02-2011, 11:50 AM   #10
Dafuq
Who Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ricky
Who Dat Popcorn's Tacoma Gallery
You guys don't have the dimmer to the left of the steering wheel? I can turn my dash off completely with my lights on.

EDIT: Nvm just re-read the question
Old 08-02-2011, 11:50 AM   #11
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who Dat Popcorn View Post
You guys don't have the dimmer to the left of the steering wheel? I can turn my dash off completely with my lights on.
He wants the dash lights off when the headllights are off like it used to be in older cars.
Old 08-02-2011, 11:54 AM   #12
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Or pay attention to the radio and A/C controls. They aren't lit up until you turn the lights on, only the clock is.
Old 08-02-2011, 12:04 PM   #13
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Glow-in-the-dark gauges is the way things are moving in the automotive world. It isn't unique to the Taco. The green light indicator is there for a reason.
Old 08-02-2011, 12:48 PM   #14
t_e is a name known to allt_e is a name known to allt_e is a name known to allt_e is a name known to allt_e is a name known to allt_e is a name known to all
Name: Erik
t_e's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreyC View Post
Thanks for the replies but none of them answered my question.

This is not a problem with the headlights turning off or a dead battery.

Maybe I didn't explain my problem clearly enough. When I start my '06 Tacoma and the engine is on, the dash lights are always on, regardless of whether or not I've switched on the headlights or not. I do not have daylight running lights.

This is problematic to me because in most cars I know if the lights are on or not by noticing if the dash lights are on, specifically when it starts getting darker outside.

Because of this odd functionality, I am frequently forgetting to turn on the headlights as it gets dark out since the dah lights are already on.

I know there's this miniature headlight indicator light in one of the gauges, but that's not as obvious.

My question is technical in nature: What specific electrical modification do I need to make so that the instrument cluster lights go on when I turn the headlights on and off when I turn the headlights off like most vehicles function?

Thanks, Jeff

My 06 is the same way. its quite annoying. The cluster is lit all the time regardless if you have the headlights on or off. Only way to turn it off is by turning the dimmer all the way down.
Old 08-02-2011, 12:52 PM   #15
ouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Royal Canadian Air Force: Mobile Support Equipment Operator
Name: Ryan
ouyin2000's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
Pretty much. It really isn't hard to tell that your lights aren't on. I guess no light in front of you vehicle isn't a dead give away.
Actually, you'd be surprised how many cars up here in Canada run at night with just their DTRLs on. The orange ones on the taco are bright enough that I can see how they get confused for proper headlights (other than the orange versus white...haha). The worst ones for this are the Chevy/GMC trucks that use small white "headlights" as their DTRLs.
Old 08-02-2011, 01:01 PM   #16
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by ouyin2000 View Post
Actually, you'd be surprised how many cars up here in Canada run at night with just their DTRLs on. The orange ones on the taco are bright enough that I can see how they get confused for proper headlights (other than the orange versus white...haha). The worst ones for this are the Chevy/GMC trucks that use small white "headlights" as their DTRLs.
Canada? You should see how many people do it here. IDK I still don't see how you can forget to turn them on. I guess I'm OCD or something but I would notice if something was missing but I always pop them on before I put it in gear at night.
Old 08-02-2011, 01:21 PM   #17

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
Canada? You should see how many people do it here. IDK I still don't see how you can forget to turn them on. I guess I'm OCD or something but I would notice if something was missing but I always pop them on before I put it in gear at night.
I was guilty of it when I first got my Tacoma. My old Chevy had the sensor and automatically turned my lights on for me when it got dark. I had to get used to turning on my own lights again