Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

Screwed up Blinker conversion

Old 08-08-2011, 08:32 PM   #1
Consistently Irregular
IronCladTRD is just really niceIronCladTRD is just really niceIronCladTRD is just really niceIronCladTRD is just really niceIronCladTRD is just really nice
Name: Corbin
IronCladTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Angry Screwed up Blinker conversion

Well, today I decided to do the blinker conversion in preparation for my new plate bumper. I searched for a write up and the only one I really found was the one on liebleweb. Anyways, I figured "This'll be easy, no problem." Boy I was wrong . I have a 2003, yet my corner light looked much different from the back. After going to 4 different automotive stores, I finally found the exact bulb socket that was used in the write up. Unfortunately, I ended up having to hollow out MUCH more than it shows in the picture on their website. The socket still barely fits in there, but I finally got it. After I got the socket in, I noticed there was a HUGE gap that would allow mud, moisture, etc. into the corner light, so I had to epoxy the whole gap. It looks really crummy and I'm afraid that stuff is going to get into the corner light anyway. So far, I've only done the left one. Now I'm not sure whether I should just throw out the assembly and return the electronic components, and buy a new corner housing for 30 bucks (Saved the OEM bulb thankfully), or spend another 45 minutes doing the other light. If I go with the first option, I'll probably get the amber KC hiliters and try to mount them on my bumper. Anyways, what was supposed to be a <$20 mod is turning into a hundred and something.

/Rant

Suggestions appreciated.
Old 08-13-2011, 05:30 PM   #2
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
I haven't messed with a Tacoma's blinkers, but I did my 86 Toyota truck a long time ago. I ended up with what you are describing. The bulb was very close to the lens, and I used a ton of RTV silicone to close up the gaps between the socket and housing. Never had to change the bulb, but that would have been a hassle. Never had any problems with it though.

Edit: Using an amber foglight with 35 or 55watt bulbs as turn signals would be very annoying to other traffic at night, and would probably earn you a ticket. JMHO
Old 08-13-2011, 10:43 PM   #3
Norton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 17D4B w/ assignments in AFCC, AFSC, AFMC, AFSPC, AFRC, USAWC, NORAD-USNORTHCOM, USAFA, SAF
Name: Steve
Norton's Tacoma Gallery
I'm not familiar with the "liebleweb" writeup to which you refer above. I followed Beau02's writeup at http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st-gen-tacomas/81243-fog-light-mod-how-pics.html#post1545613, which I found very easy to implement. Admittedly, the second lens I altered came our a little better than the first, but neither ended up presenting the problem you describe.

I'm not sure I see any way around buying a replacement lens, but Beau02's instructions should keep you out of trouble with it.
Old 08-14-2011, 10:11 AM   #4
Consistently Irregular
IronCladTRD is just really niceIronCladTRD is just really niceIronCladTRD is just really niceIronCladTRD is just really niceIronCladTRD is just really nice
Name: Corbin
IronCladTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Ehh, I just went ahead and did the other one. Used a ton of epoxy, so hopefully it'll last a year or 2. Not looking forward to the bulbs burning out though!
Old 08-20-2011, 06:05 PM   #5
Experienced Noob
MHS2846bg8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMHS2846bg8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMHS2846bg8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMHS2846bg8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMHS2846bg8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMHS2846bg8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMHS2846bg8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMHS2846bg8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMHS2846bg8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMHS2846bg8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMHS2846bg8 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: 911 Dispatch/R-LEO
Name: Nate
MHS2846bg8's Tacoma Gallery
I did the mod you mentioned. It did require to cut a bigger hole than I expected, but it did fit and it's doing the job. I believe he did mention in that writeup that he sealed it using the silicon weather stuff and that changing bulbs will be a pain in the ass. But it works and I like it. Plus, having the signals in the corner make you more visible to cross traffic IMHO than the stock signals on the bumper.